back to article MS plans response to HP's webOS ... in 2013

Hewlett-Packard's recent presentation of its plans to place webOS at the heart of a broad cloud strategy highlighted a route that Microsoft, Google and Amazon will also take, in their different ways. Essential to HP's desire to offer an end-to-end cloud platform – giving it control of a vast range of web apps and devices – is …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
    Grenade

The MS pot of gold at the end of the rainbow?

As we have seen in the past few years, MS is once again promising the earth, the solar system and the universe (Aka the cloud) well affter the others in the market. So the FUD machine kicks into action in a desperate attempt to 'cloud' (pun intended) the market so at least they might get a few sales when eventually something gets released.

Their clear message is 'Don't invest in these other things. Wait for our solution which will give you the pot of gold that you so desire.'

The problem is (IMHO) that they have this habbit of making these promises and failing to deliver. 2013 is an awful long way ahead in IT terms.

Remember Vista? Wan't that supposed to be the best thing since the invention of the telephone?

Will they deliver? (and when) (And how many of their promises will hit the dirt on the way?)

What about interoperability?

As for the cloud in general. Anyone who bets their business on it at this time franky deserves to get pissed on.

2. Eddy Ito
    WTF?

May I

MS SOS!? Oh hell yeah, that's way better than MS Bob

3. Goat Jam
    Stop

"YouTube video, could be embedded in a traditional Word application"

For all that is good and holy, why is it that Microsoft insists on doing this crap? I assume she meant "embedded in a word file" (not application) here but for the life of me I cannot understand why you would want to embed video in a word document.

Can I print it? The clue is in the word "word". It is supposed to be a static document that can be printed. Not a fricking video container.

All this will do is enable all those idiots who seem to think I want to see allegedly cute and/or humourous pictures of cats that have been embedded in a word.doc. Now they can embed videos of cats instead! Cats playing pianos! Yay!

STOP IT NOW!

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The thing about Microsoft's "fascinating projects"

is that most of the innovative bits seems to get left out as they struggle to meet deadlines, and other bits still aren't quite finished on release. Or they give up, buy a company that has a market-ready product to plug the gap, and all the brains from that company leave MS within a couple of years.

5. W. Anderson

Microsoft poor copying again

Once again, Microsoft have demonstrated their complete lack of creativity and wish to "copy" WebOS and Chrome OS in making the web, communications more unified and cooperative - that is, Microsoft's way or no way.

If HP put WebOS on and configure the software to be integral to all their printers and devices, also like Cisco, Vyatta, Netgear, RIM and just about everyone else in the technology sphere - based on Linux or UNIX like software, then Microsoft is dillusional in thinking they can compete on that basis.

However, they have an important ACE playing card; the generally ignorant public, particularly that segment with little or no good understanding and lack of in-depth knowledge of what is really transpiring in Mobile and communications technologies.

Only that they like Microsoft and Bill Gates - as "American" success stories - representing one of the richest persons and one of the largest corporations in the world. So much for superficial bragging rights.

Unfortunately tens of billions of dollars will be wasted by Microsoft chasing far superior and more modern technologies, rather than putting similar effort and finances on improving their very weak and insecure - although citizen popular - products and services.

W. Anderson

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

RE: Microsoft poor copying again

Based on the MS track record, it won't just be poor copying, it'll undoubtedly crash more times than we can count and have huge security holes in it. By the time it's stable (and secure) our grandchildren will be the ones pointing and laughing at it...

6. Ru
    WTF?

Holy Security Catastrophe, Batman!

"rich web content, such as a YouTube video, could be embedded in a traditional Word application without compromising security"

As previous experiences with flash, javascript, VBA macros and the wonderfully flexible document formats that are PDF and doc[x] should have shown everyone; 'rich' documents are, have been and will continue to be utterly riddled with security holes.

I wonder why they feel they've finally got a handle on the problem to the extent that they're happy to release a system allowing everyone to simply and easily vastly increase the attack surface of themselves and their contacts and colleagues.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Errr

"...to Android, which has issues such as fragmentation and over-control by Google. " As much as I dislike Google, surely if they 'over-controlled' Android, there wouldn't be any fragmentation?

8. Red Bren
    Stop

Unified Windows?

"Windows 8 (which will unify all the various Windows flavours, including mobile)"

Hasn't this line been parroted by MS every time they've started the hype machine for the next version of Windows?

9. Hi Wreck
    FAIL

And those "actors" are?

"Microsoft researchers unveiled some details of the ServiceOS project last summer, referring to it as a 'multi-principal OS-based browser' for controlling web services and devices."

And who might those 'principals' be? I always thought there was only one princiPAL running a school or that there was a princiPAL architect who ran the show.

Oh, you mean principle... never mind then.

10. Robert E A Harvey

Smoke or Vapour

Is this Vapourware, or the future of a once-mighty empire going up in Smoke.

How can it be that with that many highly paid brains in one building they havn't had something ready for five years?

It is customary for commentards like me to suggest that M$ never innovates. Ladies and Gentlemen, I present the evidence.

I said 3 years ago that Vista would cost them the farm, and I still believe it. Have you heard the mutterings from anyone who pays 450 quid for a laptop with W7 basic and then faces a bill for half as much again to make it do something? or people who discover 30 days in just what that "demo" version of office was really all about? Office + W7 premium can come to more than the cost of the laptop, the bastards.

This organisation has seriously lost the plot, and if they think they can derail the whole industry for the 13th time with promises of vapourware at some distant future date, then I think they will learn that the industry finally grew up. I really, really, home that they are doomed, and doomed properly.

A pox on them, the whole miserable crew of them.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like