back to article Microsoft: Mystery bug blocks Syrian secure Hotmail

Microsoft is blaming a mystery bug for preventing access to the encrypted version of Hotmail, denying that it deliberately blocked access to the service in Syria. On Friday afternoon, the company told The Reg that Hotmail users who had already enabled the HTTPS version of the popular email service were still able to use it. …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Tom Chiverton 1
    FAIL

doesn't know what caused the bug

Ummm, no ?

Grep for the error message, find the 'if' it's in...

1. Eldnah
      Gates Horns

... but they've fixed it.

Sounds like they don't want to admit that something somewhere got hacked.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

re: Grep for the error message

then try to untangle the associated spaghetti code, find that nobody can figure out what it's supposed to do, try running it in a debugger but fail to replicate the situation, randomly switch options on and off in the hope of getting somewhere, wait for a third party developer to email them the fix ...

2. Christoph

Lots of other countries too

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2011/03/microsoft-shuts-https-hotmail-over-dozen-countries

3. Goldberg

People

still use hotmail ? Is it 2007 all over again ? myemail@personaldomain.me master race user here. feels good man.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Amazing!

Good to see that ALL of Microsoft's software is held together by a mess of potentially crippling bugs!

It just wouldn't be fair if it was just Windows!

5. Doug Glass
    Go

Cease and Desist

"We're not doing it but we're going to stop immediately."

6. Almost Me
    Big Brother

A Convenient Bug?

Which now we have the username and password we were looking for, we don't need any more...

But why do people assume that only anti-government protesters use anonymous hotmail accounts?

7. Paul Crawford Silver badge
    Black Helicopters

Big clue

"set his Hotmail country to Egypt by default and that HTTPS had been prohibited. He then set his country to Israel and HTTPS by default was allowed."

That sounds very much like an internal MS policy to me. Why else would your MS-specific default country change https working or not, with the same IP address?

8. Anonymous Coward
    Gates Horns

Meanwhile at Microsoft...

"Are we the baddies?"

9. RAMChYLD
    Boffin

Why do we need a title?

> "We do not intentionally limit support by region or geography and this issue was not restricted to

> any specific region of the world. We apologize for any inconvenience to our customers that this

> may have caused," a Microsoft spokesperson said.

Says the company that told me I was not eligible for a XBox Live account for my Malaysian Live account.

Stop talking rots MS. Between this and the fact that games on the 360 can be region-locked, we really know where you stand.

10. takuhii

A Virus Perhaps

I heard it was the Gaddaffi Virus!! It works by freezing everything in place!!

11. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Ah good old twitter...

..the leading source for misinformation and scaremongering.....

1. TeeCee Gold badge
      Happy

Re: Ah good old twitter...

A veritable hyperscrotum of bollocks......

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like