back to article A deluge of diagramming add-ons

Installing the software is just the start: you can also buy all manner of diagramming add-ons and alternative stencils, templates, shapes and icons either from your vendor or from third parties. The beauty of the third-party market is that it is huge, flexible and offers plenty of cheap, or even, free software. A quick word …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

To the ed.

While i'm sure these diagram articles are very interesting to some, can you stop pushing them onto the main Register RSS feed... they're not really that newsy.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

No content

you can draw shapes with visio, blah, blah, blah ...

a proper analysis of visualization techniques and there uses in industry would be most welcome though.

3. Reg Sim

WOW I am sold, I am off to buy VISIO.......

Ahh I get it, its advertising.....

Unlike the chap above I do like these type of articles and I am only really a main page whore so I would miss it if it were shifted feed. I do however like articles with maybe a bit more than here. I original expected to find the article telling me about all the different diagram tools there are (or a bunch of them anyway), and maybe recommend a few for specific jobs. You know, maybe talk about there pro's and con's.... that sorta thing.

Just my thoughts.

4. davenewman

GraphViz

is better than many of the tools listed. Give it the rules and watch it generate a graph.

5. Jean-Luc
    Thumb Down

Visio?

Visio's not my thing and hasn't been for a while. Its UML diagrams are overcomplex, too Java-centric (as in, the types) and too inflexible. Recently had to edit a technical doc in Word with embedded Visio objects. Never was able to really edit the embedded Visios, they were all mangled when brought up in the editor. Plus, really it takes so much time, not simple enough.

A long time ago, ABC Flowcharter was quick at knocking out basic flowcharts. That's what I need, speed with less handholding and exactness. And less $$$ as well.

FWIW my current toolset, when appropriate, is using the Dot programming language, which is basically a declarative text-based language used to define graphs which are rendered separately. Quite powerful, open source and works on Nix, OSX and Windows.

Diagrams are powerful, yes, but Visio's not the tool, IMHO.

1. davemcwish
      Paris Hilton

Ah...those were the days

ABC Flowcharter, single EXE, that I ran off a floppy. Nowadays I need a DVD just to hold the installation files. And this is progress ?

As with Paris it was lightweight and just did what is said on the tin.

This topic is closed for new posts.