back to article Spotify splattered with malware-tainted ads

Users of the ad-supported version of Spotify were hit by a malware-based attack on Thursday. The assault takes advantage of a Java-based exploit to deposit Trojan horse malware or exploit kits on vulnerable Windows machines. Only users of the free version of the music streaming service seem to be affected. In response, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Been a major problem on ebay as well

And Ebay's repsonse has been that it isnt responsible for the content of the ad streams that it sells to spam all over the pages!

2. The Original Ash
    Black Helicopters

IT'S A TRAP!

What a great way to get folks to stump up the cash for a premium account, eh?

>_>

<_<

>_>

3. googolplex

Ads are Now Pulled

I hear via Twitter that Spotify have pulled the 3rd party adverts which might be the cause until they can identify the exact one.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

simple

block all ads - let's be honest, who doesn't these days. They're no longer just a nuisance they're a real threat.

If only OpenDNS would have a adverts category to block (which I'd even pay for) - ho hum.

The first company to set up (and properly manage) a centralised (non-host) ad-blocking service (probably using DNS blocking) will make a fortune. OpenDNS had the chance - but so far has blown it.

1. Toastan Buttar
      Unhappy

Can't block ads

The ads appear on the Spotify client, so you can't block 'em, I'm afraid.

1. Someone
        Happy

Can block ads

The ads may appear within the Spotify client, but at least some are displayed using Internet Explorer. This is how malicious adverts could utilise Java. You can increase the security of Spotify by increasing the security of Internet Explorer. If you don’t use IE to browse the web directly or use another application that embeds IE at the same time you use Spotify, set IE’s security level for the Internet zone to High. That should block active content.

Better yet, don’t use Windows. Use Linux, BSD or Solaris and run Spotify using Wine. Just don’t install any Windows browser plug-ins under the same WINEPREFIX as Spotify.

2. Michael Kean
        Happy

Privoxy?

Privoxy might be able to go between Spotify and the 'net - not sure as I've never used Spotify...

5. James 49

Can't block ads

Should try We7. Same as Spotify but in a browser.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like