back to article Irate New Mexican workers ward off alien attack

So, we're safe from Alien attack, thanks to some engineers in the US. Oddly, few of you felt very reasssured by the plans. Can't imagine why. Oh, wait: you've explained why in great detail: Let me see here... if it's true that they call Carl Sagan 'a jerk' that would tell me a great deal about these people. To call a …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. J

And...

"It's simply amazing the trashing the U.S. takes for defending the world from terrorism. You'd think the U.S. was the bad guy for trying to protect the world when you read the B.S. that passes for knowledge."

I wonder why you guys publish such letters at all... Maybe is for our amusement, but I don't think it's nice to make fun of the mentally retarded. Or was the writer of this comment just some stupid idiot who forget his brain at home that day or something? What on Earth (and in space) do alien invasions have to do with terrorism, or the USA's war on terror , whatever you might think of them? Strong stuff has the yuff been smoking nowadays, methinks.

Sheesh...

J

2. Webster Phreaky

Francis just loves America ... will kiss the Aliens too.

Francis, the first poster, is CLEARLY one of your Hillary / Gore / Barak Hussian Obama "Hate Amercia" Liberals .... too bad that you (Francis) are enjoying such a fat, happy life, no doubt driving a Gas Pig vehicle, maybe even a private jet like Stevie Jobs, in America.

Got a suggestion Francis, why don't you move to Cuba and wait for Fidel and your other hero Castro Jr. Chavez to fend off the Aliens.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Aliens

Well I guess we found who finished at the bottom of the class

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Protecting...

"You'd think the U.S. was the bad guy for trying to protect the world"

Trying to protect the world? Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

When you guys are done "protecting", there won't be anything left of the world.

5. alan

the aliens are attacking now as we speak

for christ sake, everyone today wants to stop this group or that group from doing this or doing that, hello its a free country , well as least it is here , I know you Brits are still working on that one, anyways back to the point if the aliens want to attack, then, let them, who knows maybe they got fueling stations where you can buy petrol for less than $2.00 a gallon , or maybe even some new vista drivers , Look if you dont like the aliens just ignore em maybe thell go away , at the least they might abduct you and plant you on a planet that you were looking at space.com anyways . jeez everybody just chill. thanks have a nice day

6. Joe Cooper

Aliens and terrorists

The irony of Frances' comment is that his description of why we couldn't possibly defend against aliens (their technology is far too superior oh noes!) is directly applicable to the Iraq fiasco.

The US has dramatically superior military technology. We HAVE stealth jets. We HAVE space travel. We HAVE advanced, futuristic computers, ICBMs, smart bombs, smart missiles, satellites, helicopters, tanks, instant communications, etc. etc. that the Iraqi insurgents don't have, not by a long shot.

They can travel great distances and have vastly superior technology and have decided to mount a direct attack on beaten-down, toothless country.

By Frances' logic, they should be winning.

Are they, Frances?

7. Frances

slow day in lala land

"It's simply amazing the trashing the U.S. takes for defending the world from terrorism"

Yes, because generating -more- terrorists than there were before the live fire drill in Iraq is clearly the way to go about making the planet 'safer'. I must have missed that one.

"Francis, the first poster, is CLEARLY one of your Hillary / Gore / Barak Hussian Obama "Hate Amercia" Liberals"

1. spell it right

2. because one is opposed to ideas presented does not make one an enemy of the presenter of the idea. It is not because the United States have engaged in the most stupid war in the history of the nation that I just give up on the country. Of course the current administration would make Hitler and Stalin jealous, that does not imply the people itself are evil and stupid, or at least not more than any other country you care to mention.

3. the 'liberals hate America' is such a tired argument, do something new. Surprise me. Do -anything-, stop kicking the dead horse already.

"The irony of Frances' comment is that his description of why we couldn't possibly defend against aliens (their technology is far too superior oh noes!) is directly applicable to the Iraq fiasco."

This is my point precisely. The US -should- be winning, but they aren't because they are doing it wrong. Yet, that doesn't stop them from coming up with ways to defend against [the aliens], wherever [they] may be from. [They] will not be mucking about and [they] will use whatever it is that [they] have in [their] arsenal to make this dirtball a steaming pile or rubble.

The live fire drill in Iraq -must be- a fiasco because it was badly planned and badly executed. One embarrassing defeat per generation doesn't cut it anymore. You're hungry for more and boy are you getting it. No lessons learned from Viet Nam, no new strategies. You still go in without knowing the language of the people you're fighting, you still don't know anything about their cultural background, you're still using old-war tactics to fight new-war battles. And I'm supposed to be impressed by that?

For being the largest army on the planet, it's being run like a paint ball club. The only clear winners are the people who get no-bid contracts and who get to screw over the people fighting on the ground because they get a lot of money for it.

This arrogance is going to 'defend the planet' like it's going to be some kind of 'Independence Day' scenario. And they have the gall to call one of the greatest humanitarians the country has ever produced a jerk.

You need to read his book 'Pale Blue Dot' for an enhanced perspective of what your puny little dicking around in Iraq really means. Defenders against terrorism, freedom and the American Way...

Wake the hell up already!

8. Michael Griffiths

Alan, USA a free country?

I have now lived in the USA for a number of years (am British). Compared to most, if not all Western European countries the USA is far from free. Talking with the friends I have made over here has opened their eyes to what real freedom is. You might want to try it sometime.

9. Demian Phillips

Buckaroo Banzai

I think the world is only big enough for one neurosurgeon, particle physicist, race car driver, rock star, comic book hero, civil engineer type renaissance man.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Futuristic Computers?

Joe Cooper wrote..

"The US has dramatically superior military technology. We HAVE stealth jets. We HAVE space travel. We HAVE advanced, futuristic computers, ICBMs, ...."

Emmm.. if the US has these "Futuristic" computers, then they are no longer "Futuristic" are they...they become "Presentistic"?

11. Colin Jackson

Ah but...

In that case, the Royal Navy has past-tastic computers.

This topic is closed for new posts.