back to article Duke Nukem Forever DELAYED

Here's something that will make you chuckle: Duke Nukem Forever has been postponed… again. But only by a month, supposedly. Given the task of breaking the news gently was head of developer Gearbox, Randy Picthford, who did so in amusing fashion in a YouTube vid. Here it is. The anticipated title, which was scheduled for …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Ragarath

I liked it

To be honest it is them fessing up to the fact they know it has been a standing joke.

But doing it in this way also says to me that it should be here soon at least (otherwise they would try to not make a big deal of it, wouldn't they).

Or have I just been struck down by good marketing?

1. gooddseea

i agree

i like it too

2. thecresta

Great marketing stunt

Would you look at that - DNF made the headlines again!

1. Dan 10

I'm VERY late to this party...

...so I'm guessing that everyone else already knows that in sports jargon, DNF means Did Not Finish, right?!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

err

Yeah, and it became unfunny about 11 years ago.

2. gooddseea

dnf

i play it for years great game

3. seanj
    Unhappy

The importance of punctuation.

Headline should probably read "Duke Nukem, Forever DELAYED".

Been looking forward to this since it re-emerged from oblivion as something that might actually be released, but this last minute delay is making me wonder if it's all worth it... I have BulletStorm now anyway.

1. Shonko Kid
      Grenade

When I first glanced at the headline..

I read 'Duke Nukem DELAYED Forever'

4. Sampler

I would love it

If all the recent posts or game footage were just animations and the whole thing's been a big joke and there isn't actually a game.

Mainly because what I have seen of the game footage is it look shit but still..

1. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

re: I would love it

"Mainly because what I have seen of the game footage is it look shit but still" : PARSE ERROR

1. Peter Kay

Depends until people actually play it

It's a given that this is not going to look absolutely bang up to date - its been through far too many development changes for that. It's also probable it will have gameplay similar to older games.

What really matters is if it is fun, for the Duke audience. It's unlikely to make the same splash as the original did either technologically, or in gameplay, but frankly in retrospect Duke 3D was good, but not one of the all time greats.

Then again, I could say the same about Quake. Fun at the time, impressive technically, but far too brown, lacking in storyline, humour and a coherent game world.

1. Yag
          Troll

"until people actually play it"

A friend of mine in a nice cozy position at a major graphic card manufacturer told me he already played it...

Well, perhaps he was bullshitting me, as he is a die-hard fan of Duke nukem :)

5. Cunningly Linguistic
    Paris Hilton

Subtle

Duke Nukem never comes first"

lolz

6. Frederick Tennant

And This is why women love Duke...

Duke is a dude, why women love him?

He's always 'Delayed', and without any creams too.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Delayed for Public Health reasons

I suspect they have added this delay to help the people who are still suffering from shock that Gran Turismo 5 actually came out this year.

One further push like Duke Nukem Forever actually coming out could push these people's already-stretched sanity to breaking point.

1. Rob Beard
      Pint

GT5 release? This year?

....you're right... I'm shocked, my work colleague got his copy November last year, two in fact.

Rob

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

You're right

I'm still in shock, and making mistakes as I'm confused.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

coincidence?

Is it coincidence that the abbreviation is DNF, the same abbreviation used in motor sport for a competitor who Did Not Finish?

Irony much.

Anyway, I was 15 when this game was announced, and was exited about it. I'm now 28, and somehow I just don't care any more.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Olden Days

Similarly I was mid teens when Goldeneye came out on the N64. Was amazing at the time.

Recently dug out the N64 for a blast, and even got the remake on the Wii.

Just isn't the same.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Class

Duke Nukem never comes early

10. RichyS

Project

'Duke Nukem Forever' isn't so much a product name, more a software development plan.

11. Thomas 4
    Thumb Up

As far as apologies go

This one is one of the better ones I'ev had from a game company.

12. Alex Walsh

Heh

Today's Penny Arcade successfully sends up the faux outrage in the media over actually smacking bottoms in game:

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2011/3/23/

13. BorkedAgain
    Badgers

Well...

...kinda saw that coming...

But kudos for being funny about it. For a given value of funny.

(What? I like badgers...)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Boffin

well in that case......

http://www.badgerbadgerbadger.com/

(Anon cause people might want to hurt me for that link!!)

1. BorkedAgain
        Pint

...and so we segue smoothly into MGS via Mario...

Snake! It's a snake!...

14. Peter Kay

Amused

It's either a marketing stunt, or a last ditch attempt to polish it up after less than wonderful reviews.

The real test will be whether they bother releasing a public demo or not..

15. Shaun 1

As was said on anither forum

10th June was probably the intended release date, they just announced it for May so they could get one last delay in

16. Marvin the Martian
    WTF?

Delayed?

Inconceivable!

17. Anonymous Coward
    Pint

Cliffs of Dover!

The Duke Nukem of combat flight sims - "Cliffs of Dover" is ready for release next week!

...and about time - the level of pre-release panic and forum-whining has reached fever pitch!

Thanks Oleg - I hope it's worth the six year wait :D

18. Highlander

So, this is the accidentally-on-purpost...

accidentally-on-purpose kind of delay designed to snag even more headlines for the game that was famously names DNF and yet has risen from the ashes like a Phoenix, only to be delayed again...My, how ironic.

19. Josh 15
    Pint

The Real Story...

...and the one really worth telling will the be the complete history of the troubled making of Duke Nukem Forever. Some lucky writer (hopefully a games journalist) will bag that assignment and it really will be a tale worth telling, something to rival 'Masters of Doom' (the story of Doom's creation and the subsequent self-implosion of one of it's creators).

I'd buy that book!

20. Graham Marsden
    Coat

Let me repunctuate that for you...

... Duke Nukem: forever delayed.

21. tom 24
    Thumb Up

Delayed vs Buggy As Hell

I'll take "Forever Delayed" any day, over some^H^H^H^H most game releases that are barely playable. Seems like about half the recently released games require 12 months of patching before they reach a playable state, but by then the reputation of the game is so sullied that sales are in the toilet, and the developer abandons support to instead make their next game.

I'd rather have $60US in my pocket waiting for a game that is never released, than an on-time release of another turd sandwich.

22. Robert E A Harvey

Dyslexia?

I read the headline as "Duke Nukem Delayed FOREVER" and was completely unsurprised.

23. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Now coming June 14th"

OK, but what year?

24. LaeMing
    Grenade

1 month delay

So is that 1 Calendar month?

or 1 DNF month?

25. asdf
    Flame

bah waiting for Crysis 2

Bah Duke is so 1999 plus I want to see the game (Crysis 2) that on the highest settings won't run even on a super computer until 2030 or so.

26. Cunningly Linguistic

Regardless...

...of how good or bad the game may or may not be, after all these years it's going to be one hell of an anti-climax when it released... I bought it, I played it, now what?

27. D. M
    FAIL

It is called DNF for a reason

13 years ago, this might be remotely believable. Now, everyone knows the "Forever" really means forever (to be released).

28. wheel

US vs International

Anyone else notice that, while the old schedule had the US release 3 days before the international release (3 May vs 6 May), the international release will now come first (10 June vs 14 June for the US)? Might game rating issues be behind this delay?

29. SpaMster
    Flame

The new release date was always the official one

As if they havnt done this on purpose!

This topic is closed for new posts.