back to article IBM wants to relieve Aussie traffic pain

IBM is attempting to fix Australia's transport infrastructure woes investing in a Smart Transport Research Centre (STRC) based at Queensland University of Technology (QUT). A recent survey conducted by IBM, the Commuter Pain Index, revealed that 81 per cent of drivers experience travel stress. IBM will tip in software and …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. David Hicks

Traffic? Australia?

You musty be having a laugh!

I moved over here from London last year. Trust me when I say the Aussies have no idea what "traffic" really means. Besides which, the only transport problems they really have are people commuting about inside cities, as going from one city to another is a serious undertaking so most of the roads elsewhere are deserted most of the time.

Frankly a focus on suburban public transport improvement would likely help more.

1. Denarius
      Thumb Down

yeah right

tried crossing Sydney where all the PHBs insist on having courses, head bunkers and data centers ? Especially near entries to toll roads which leave you with nowhere to go but pay $ ?

TT$D I ride a motorcycle and could get off the "road". Lots of alleys leading to roads going somewhere else.

Outside the 4 big cities I agree with you, except to Aussies, going between cities is sometimes long, but not difficult, precisely because the roads have light traffic. Pacific highway near Qld border excepted.

Still think IBM have seen another way of sucking consulting $$$$$ from sucker pollies, stupid public serpents for java and Power 7 gear.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

re-edit ctrl-shift-end ^C ^V

didn't we get this PR before?

3. rob_m

IBM has solved the problems in the UK, have they??

Well, considering the average speed through London has dropped to a whopping 9mph, and this is considered to be a problem "solved", I would hate to see a problem that remains unsolved. Maybe we all get in our cars and drive everywhere in reverse...

4. Aussie Brusader
    Badgers

Awww crap. Not the interwebs :(

I thought they were going to give us fast broadband.

They are a computer corporation,?

Amirite?

Here in Perth, West Aus, heaps of people cycle - straight past the parked cars...

Mind you, it's getting a bit dangerous to be a pedestrian.

5. Denarius
    FAIL

also in nations crapital

similar thing in ACT to Perth. motorcycles and cyclists moving faster than cars and often buses.

Once a civilised place with roads, decent parking and cyclists not seen or heard, Canberra has become becoming another concrete canyon with an infill of high cost slums for the gullible.

Greenies avoid crowing about the time they stolel from citizens who now take hours to get around on buses.

About time citizens time was costed in grand schemes, so adding more time to do basic chores like getting to work was added to city planning budgetting.

6. Sabine Miehlbradt
    Pint

Commuter pain?

I read that as computer pain.

Why doesn't IBM try to solve that first? It would certainly be more in their line of business.

7. Steve Loughran

Which part of the UK are they talking about

We'd like to see some definitive evidence that IBM either reduced journey times, made it safer for people walking and cycling, improved public transport or reduced city centre pollution before taking any claim from IBM that they solved the UK's traffic problems.

Maybe the harsh truth they dare not say is that all they can do is damage limitation. In which case, come out and say it.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like