back to article New movie gives Yuri Gagarin's view of historic 1961 mission

A documentary filmmaker will celebrate the forthcoming 50th anniversary of Yuri Gagarin's historic first space flight by giving viewers the chance to experience what the cosmonaut saw from his Vostok 1 capsule. Christopher Riley's First Orbit promises a blend of Gagarin's voice, recorded during the 108-minute flight on 12 …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

and the length of the movie?

Will it be 108 Minutes?

1. ThomH

You've obviously not seen the modern style of documentary film

It'll be 30 minutes of someone looking solemn, while walking in crowds, telling us we're about to see the recreated flight and that seeing it will be the single most important thing that happens to us in our entire lives, then some out of focus shots of someone that looks a bit like Gagarin sitting on a bed or looking in a book or something like that, then some talking heads from the world of light entertainment to tell us why the space flight was so incredibly important and — most significantly — how it affected pop culture, then some out of focus shots of someone that looks a bit like JFK looking sad, intercut with someone that looks a little like Khrushchev beating his shoe on a table, maybe 30 seconds of the recreated flight cut to new age music which primarily focuses on the man who looks a bit like Gagarin doing out of focus reaction shots, then 30 minutes being told that seeing that was the single most important thing that will happen to us in our entire lives.

Cynical? Me?

1. The Fuzzy Wotnot
        Pint

Well...

It's free to download from what the article says, so even if it's crap you've only wasted 90 secs skiming through the AVI to see if your predictions are true!

2. serviceWithASmile
        Thumb Up

@tomh

whoah take a step back mate - it's not being done by the history channel

besides, in my experience the stuff people make and then release for free is usually of better quality than the stuff you pay for - strange though it may seem.

i'll be watching it

1. Rattus Rattus

@serviceWithASmile

"...stuff people make and then release for free is usually of better quality than the stuff you pay for - strange though it may seem."

Doesn't seem strange at all to me, and probably wouldn't seem strange to anyone who regularly uses open source software.

2. Swoop
    Alien

The ISS's "multi-windowed cupola"

I see the Millennium Falcon is still docked at the ISS. Hasn't Han Solo got that pesky hyperdrive back online yet?

1. Gene Cash Silver badge
      Go

Hyperdrive...

R2 hasn't been unpacked yet, I think...

Seriously though, I would *KILL* for a personal view from the ISS cupola... "cut that bloke's throat and we'll put you on ISS..." Done! After 3 months on ISS, the rest of life would be an anticlimax.

3. Rick Brasche
    Flame

I'll be all over this...when it's released..and I'm home

stupid work YouTube block! grrrr! Space Nerd Raeg!

4. Forget It

guinea pigs

BTW there were at least two other Russians up in space before Gagarin managed to survive.

Might be an idea to celebrate them too:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2011/mar/13/yuri-gagarin-first-space-korolev?commentpage=1#comment-9934377

1. Adrian Esdaile
      Flame

Celebrate what? Conspiracy theory fairy-tales?

quote: "Featuring some of the actual recordings made by the Judica-Cordiglia brothers, including the sound of a woman dying in space as her craft burns up on re-entry."

Yeah, right, a couple of Italian ham-radio nuts claim to have heard a radio transmission from a craft as it burns up. They must have heard it through the ionized plasma shroud that blocks radio, right? The one that NASA today still can't receive radio transmission through? You know, the bit they call 'radio blackout' for a pretty good reason?

I don't doubt they recorded something - I think it might possibly have been a more conventional aircraft, not a spacecraft. Personally I trust the reams and reams of historical documents, not a story in the Grauniad.

BTW, I've always wondered why they call it 're-entry' - is it short for 'retro-entry' (seems correct - if in a capsule you fly backwards) or is a highly inaccurate neologism?

Flames (of plasma) because that's what blocks radio transmission.

5. Robert E A Harvey

I remember

I was just 13 when this happened, and had to explain the concept of orbits to the whole class - and the teacher - after we had heard about it that morning. No fax machines or internet in 1961, the education department in Chelmsford ran some banda sheets off, and sent men round on motorbikes to deliver one to each school. The head came and read them to each class in turn. I knew the news before I got home, which startled the family.

SPACE! someone had been into space! You know, the thrill of it never leaves me. I spent 25 years of my life as a seaman, partly because of the wanderlust that awoke in me. If they asked me to board a rocket ship instead I'd be there tomorrow.

1. N A P

Up vote

Not only did I up vote you, I was so inspired by this I actually joined El Reg to do so.

2. N A P

Inspiration...

Not only did I up vote this, I actually felt inspire to join El Reg to do so!

1. proto-robbie
        Pirate

Me too!

Not joining the Reg particularly, but living through the Space Age. I rather hope it's not finished yet. Unfortunately, I can't imagine there will ever be anything as awe-inspiring as the Saturn V again (not that that's anything to do with Gagarin). I suppose it all belongs in the past, along with 6 litre V8 engines.

Light blue touchpaper and retire seven miles! Wheeeeee!!!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like