back to article Samsung dismisses too few tablets sold claim

How well is Samsung's Android tablet line actually selling? Not so good, it has been claimed. Samsung quickly denied the allegation, calling it "groundless", according to Reuters. The company says it has sold more than 3m 7in Galaxy Tabs. We're sure it has, but how many of the tablets it has sold to retail partners - ie. the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Michael Jennings

They really pushed it into the channel though

I travel a lot, an I have seen the 7 inch Galaxy Tab in shops in all kinds of places: small electronics stores in rural Serbia, or mobile phone shops in Vietnam. Samsung has spent the last couple of decades building a really formidable set of channels through which to sell its products, and before Christmas they sent the Tab everywhere. This contrasts with Apple, who were selling iPads through a small number of retailers in a small number of countries.

I don't think many people bought Samsung's product, though. I know one person who has one, and apart from his, I don't think I have ever seen one being used in public. Some credit to Samsung for actually getting an iPad competitor into the shops before Christmas - nobody else did - but they must have lost a lot of money on that first iteration.

2. RichyS

Never seen one in the wild...

... But I know of one person who apparently bought one.

Does that qualify as 'quite smooth'?

3. Rupert Stubbs

How many times have we heard this?

"At last, [re. the new larger-screen Tabs] a real challenge to the iPad"...

How many iPad challengers have the media announced since it was introduced? And how may have actually shipped, let alone had any traction with the buying public? The iPads (1 + 2) are be no means perfect, but the competition has been lacklustre.

4. PaulR79
    FAIL

Priced too high, released too late

The 7" Galaxy Tab was an 'OK' product that could have sold really well if it had been priced right and released sooner. Unfortunately for Samsung they went with the polar opposite and released in November 2010 with plenty of chatter surrounding upcoming Honeycomb tablets (with no real products to consider) and at a price that made the iPad a cheaper option. I was very interested in the Galaxy Tab when it was announced but it seemed to take an age to get the product on shelves and the price was ridiculous at launch. It still isn't much better in March, hovering around the £399 price point the last time I looked which is a good £100 - 150 too high for what it offers.

Given the limited available options I opted for the Advent Vega which cost me £250, has a Tegra 2 CPU and larger display. I'm well aware it is very limited in stock configuration but it's relatively easy to get the Android Market on it. I would happily have paid another £50 - 75 for a better quality screen but for what I paid it's more than adequate for my needs until something better comes out for a somewhat sensible price. Judging by the prices I've seen touted for the 8.9" Tab Samsung might be getting the message. I hope Motorola's pricing burns them deeply regardless of hardware quality, they have nothing but contempt for customers.

5. Mark York 3 Silver badge
    Coat

Already On Clearance......

Saw a deal yesterday for a Galaxy S smartphone & Tab for $99 outside a store in downtown Calgary.

Damn if only I'd waited........

Coat that the darn thing won't fit into.

1. Geoff Campbell Silver badge
      FAIL

That's not clearance, as such.

I got a similar deal back in November last year, right after the Tab was released. You need to check out the monthly spend as well.

GJC

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

meh

Its an Advent though man, it'll be in the bin bust 2 months out of manufacture warranty. ;-) Dixons quality!

I've got a Tab, love it, all it needs is some Samsung commitment to updating Droid.

What lets down Android Tablets is Android, honestly, it might be "open" but its gash at the moment!

Maybe Amazon App Store, or Sony PSP store will help with the balance of games. But the general apps, lacklustre to say the least.

7. Adam T

Product Life?

This just strikes me as one of the reasons Apple are doing so well at winning consumer confidence. While they sell evolutions of the same hardware range (iPhone, iPad), everyone else is just chucking stuff out and then dismissing it 6 months later. "oh that was then, it was just an experiment - this is more like it".

And people make a fuss that Apple renews it's hardware every 12 months?

I do like the look of the new Galaxy Tabs. Will I buy one? Not a chance, and it's not because I don't want one, it's because I don't trust Samsung. Same goes with Motorola et al. Go figure.

1. Geoff Campbell Silver badge
      FAIL

And you trust Apple?

Anyone who trusts any large corporation is a fool of the first order. I don't trust Samsung any more than I trust Apple, but I bought a Galaxy Tab last year because it was what I wanted then. If it doesn't get an official upgrade, I'll root it. No biggie.

GJC

8. Robert Carnegie Silver badge

I have one, I wear it on my chest,

are you saying I won't be the sexiest echnology user in the office any more? Darn!

(I really do! Wanna see?)

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like