back to article The price of the average foaming tankard - in pictures

There are many ways to demonstrate data visualisation, but none better than visualising beer prices at the Munich Oktoberfest, possibly the best excuse in the world to spend five days downing rivers of lager. Courtesy of Chris Roth, editor of Visio Guy, we present the Munich Oktoberfest Visio template. Roth is a native of …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Donald Miller

Inverse graphic

I feel the graphic would have been more effective showing the size of the tankard per decaeuro versus time, sinking out of sight to help prevent drunkenness at "football" games.

2. Alien Doctor 1.1
    Pint

Mittenwalder Festbrau goes here

"You could of course also add a final graphic for next year’s festival, which assuming inflation of around four per cent will bring the price of your foamy mug of beer in October up to €9.13, or a whopping £8.80 at current exchange rates. Cheers."

Given that German - especially Bavarian - beers are second-to-none and that the Oktoberfest always has inflated prices and specially brewed suds then £8.80 isn't too much of a hardship; some of the beers are definitely not session brews and need to be treated with the utmost respect.

Unfortunately I won't be able to attend this year as I'll be cycling in the Austrian Alps :(

1. SuperTim

or even

£7.90 if you use the CURRENT exchange rate.

2. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

You have been warned and suitably advised ..... although it is probably a message for deaf ears

"some of the beers are definitely not session brews and need to be treated with the utmost respect." ..... Alien Doctor 1.1 Posted Tuesday 22nd March 2011 19:15 GMT

I am pleased to second that observation, Alien Doctor 1.1, having witnessed and experienced its coma inducing qualities on a number of occasions I cannot remember. :-)

Ignore the above Alien Doctor's sound advice at your peril.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Boffin

Wrong visual effect

Your second chart don't make no sense.

1. Disco-Legend-Zeke
      Pint

I Second...

...that, It would be Grocked immediately if it plotted the amount of beer you can drink for some appropriate Reg Unit of money.**

*A pint to Ken for his dedication to important datasets.

**Your suggestions needed.

1. Steven Knox
        Pint

Shurely...

the only valid unit of currency for El Reg would be the pint, which in this case would lead to an unfortunate circular dependency...?

^^^^^^^^^^^----- Cause of rather a lot of dependencies, in fact...

4. TonyHoyle

Also...

Remember to divide your £8.80 by 1.7 to scale it for pints vs. litres.

A little over £5 a pint. I hear rumours that some places down south are already charging close to that kind of money (if they ever got that bad up here I'd go teetotal!).

1. The BigYin

Teetoal?

Are you stark-staring-bonkers? Home brew!

5. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Yeah - but look!

Your getting more beer every year! - The graph clearly demonstrates that the litre is getting bigger year on year = cancels out the cost increase.

1. jonathanb Silver badge
      Thumb Up

I agree

I agree. Either show the amount of beer you can get for say €10 each year, or have a pile of coins to display the cost.

6. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Thumb Up

Good work

Here in the fracking Middle Of Europe in a little country with too many banksters, doofus politicians, entitled "workers" and state employees ... we are already at 9 EUR/l or more for the standard stuff.

Money printing has its cost, even if it's as a hidden tax on the rubes. Prost!

7. Michael Hoffmann Silver badge
    Thumb Down

Add Deutschmark...

... and the price development gets outright depressing. :(

As an ex-pat, formerly of Munich, I still remember the hue and cry when beer broke the DM10 barrier. With the "Teuro" effectively 1:2 to the DM, that means we're scraping towards DM20.

Ah well, it's only for the tourists nowadays anyway. Friends and family tell me that locals don't even go anymore.

8. Arthur the cat Silver badge
    Megaphone

warm beer loving Brits???

The British do not drink warm beer, we drink it at a decent temperature that suits the beer. It's only people whose major beer brands taste like they were excreted by a diabetic horse that have to freeze it down so they can't taste what they're drinking. That said, the Yanks do have some seriously decent microbreweries these days, and about time too.

9. Marvin the Martian
    Stop

"assuming 4% inflation"?

Have you checked the data on inflation vs liter price? Does it rise inline, slower, faster, or unrelated to inflation? Just plugging in 4% kind of kills an up-to-then elegant exercise with unjustification.

10. palmmark
    Pint

Octobers a bit late to turn up for Oktoberfest....

"will bring the price of your foamy mug of beer in October" - maybe it will, but Oktoberfest mostly happens in September! (17th Sep through to 3rd Oct in 2011).

11. Was Steve

Don't forget to tip fopr good service

Which effectively pushes the price of a gross up to €10. You're not going home with much change from a €50 note, and you aren't spending much of the next day vertical either... :D

12. Tom 7

Alien Doctor - The october fest only sells Munich brewed beer

some nice stuff mind but hardly a glimpse of what the Bavarians can do if you don't mind dying of hypothermia or c02 embolisms.

1. Alien Doctor 1.1
      Pint

Not quite Tom 7...

I've had the Mittenwalder Festbrau at the Oktoberfest, Mittenwald being approximately 100km South of Munchen on the Austrian border.

This topic is closed for new posts.