back to article Opera Mini 6 and Opera Mobile 11 debut

Opera has released new versions of both its mobile browsers, offering improved scrolling, panning, and zooming on each. On Tuesday, the Norwegian browser maker unveiled Opera Mini 6 and Opera Mobile 11. Both offer "pinch-to-zoom" on all devices that support the interface gesture popularized by the iPhone, and both offer a new …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Charlie Clark Silver badge
    Pint

Mini is nice

Living on Bada I'm glad to see the update as Mini 5 has had some rendering issues but was always faster than Dolphin and has a better approach to rendering text.

Still waiting for Opera Mobile for Bada but Mini 6 is well worth using. Pity it has to be installed and run from in the games folder.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Finally!

Opera Mini 5 on BlackBerry OS6 was so terrible to be almost unusable. I've just tried Mini 6 and it is immediately better. Proper touch support, better layout and - allelujia - tabs that open in the background.

Now if only they did Opera Mobile for BB as well.

1. Ilgaz

If BB run C code

The amazingly underrated trick the Opera does to ship for every kind of device having CPU is: renderer and javascript is one plain, absolutely platform independent and modular (for asm trickery) C code that can be compiled to run on ANY 32bit CPU.

For MS win 7 phone and blackberry, you can't do it since it is made impossible by companies.

I am just hoping for new QNX nanokernel will change things for BB but for MS windows 7 phone, it is hopeless until they really get the slap from market they deserved for decade.

3. Nexox Enigma

Quite welcome

v11 is quite an upgrade as far as usability is concerned on my N900, and v10 was already far ahead of any of the other browsers available. v11 eliminates pretty much everything that irritated me about v10, and it seems to have added some speed as well.

I'm sure once I use 11 for a while I'll find new things about which to be irritated, but for now I'm happy.

Hmm, still doesn't seem to offer a way to change the user agent - I do get tired of sites detecting Opera Mobile and giving me a site designed for a flip phone.

1. Patrick O'Reilly
      Thumb Up

Easily done.

It's easy to change Opera Mobile 11's useragent.

Just focus on the URL field and enter "opera:config#Custom User-Agent" then paste the useagent you want into the text field.

Done.

Opera Mobile 11 for Android is a great update, it's much faster than the stock browser on the Desire HD and all those niggily little issues 10 had are long gone. The zooming is excellent as it the device integration. I've been using it for about a week without any need to open the default browser, it's a complete, fully featured browser replacement.

4. Steve Evans

Goodo

Chucked both mobile and mini onto my Desire Z, mobile feels quick compared to V10, both appear to work very well indeed.

I'm very fond of mini, especially on a data capped mobile contract.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Pinch. To. Zoom.

The single most important missing feature is here! :)

6. Chris 171
    Thumb Up

Nice improvements

My default browser in any case, but both the new mobile & mini sit very comfortably in my N8, very nice experience. #fastfast

7. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Nice update

HTC Desire HD working better in 11:

- Flash integration (maybe I just couldn't find "advanced settings" in 10.1?)

- Google docs spreadsheets

- Better behaviour from the system "back" button

8. Anomalous Cowturd
    Happy

Bloody marvellous!

Keep up the great work folks.

Thank-you all.

9. HMB

Privacy & Security Concerns

I hear a lot of flack about privacy issues using Google Chrome, an open source based browser by Google, which is currently taking more and more market share, but no one ever seems to mind that Opera is not just closed source, but has a proxy function that routes all your traffic through one company's servers.

It seems overwhelmingly obvious to me that Opera holds far more *potential* for mischief than Chrome does.

With that said I am impressed that Opera manage to keep up a codebase that is more or less standards compliant in an age where HTML and it's associated technologies keep getting more and more complicated. You have to admire the Norwegian company for being plucky if nothing else.

1. Ilgaz

Google has a question to ask themselves

How come people trust to the little Norwegian guy while your motto is "do not be evil".

It seems they managed to do great harm to themselves without any evil conspiracy by their competition. Just look at how Google updater installs and behaves.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Chrome is closed

Chrome is closed source as well. As is Firefox. You don't actually KNOW what source they were compiled from, so even if there exist open source projects for these, you don't know that this is the code compiled into the finished browsers.

3. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

You are ignorant, and ignorance is dangerous

Opera does NOT route all your traffic through the company's servers.

You are referring to Opera Turbo, which is DISABLED BY DEFAULT.

Opera does NOT hold far more potential for mischief than Chrome does, BECAUSE OPERA'S BUSINESS MODEL IS NOT GATHERING AS MUCH INFORMATION ABOUT YOU AS POSSIBLE, unlike Google.

But what do these DESKTOP browsers have to do with MOBILE browsers?

10. Ilgaz

I really wonder the text engine

I am getting amazingly crisp text on my shamefully bad LCD of E71.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like