back to article Fujitsu wins £15m Welsh supercomputer bid

Fujitsu has won the bid to power Wales's high-performance computing (HPC) ambitions with a £15m, four-year project to build a supercomputer grid using Primergy Xeon servers and InfiniBand. The HPC Wales system is a hub-and-spoke design, with two connected hubs at Cardiff and Swansea/Pembroke Dock, connected by Mellanox- …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Peter Gathercole Silver badge

Probably not a single supercomputer.

That seems like an awful lot of hardware for the budget, and the dispersed nature means that it is far more likely to act as a group of smaller clusters that talk together than a single super-computer.

You will never be able to drive the WAN links at sufficient speed to spread anything other than encapsulated data type problems (like SETI@Home but larger) to the remote sites.

I would be interested in seeing how the power spreads around the six sites, because although the total amount of compute power may seem high, chances are that the power in any single part of the environment will be a fraction significantly under half of the total. That should put it much further down the top 500 that the 'low 30's' quoted in the article.

Also, by the time it is delivered, there will be new systems springing up in China, USA, Germany and even the UK!

Oh well. I have contracted for Fujitsu in South Wales before. Maybe I ought to dust off the old CV. Might be interesting to do some non-AIX work for a while, and I now have Infiniband experience.

2. MinionZero
    Joke

Processing power

I guess they need all this processing power so the Welsh spell checker programs can finally handle ... Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch. :)

3. Pete ThSplendiferous

Redundancy

Although Fujitsu will probably build 100 supercomputer networks and keep swapping them out until they find one that doesn't die a grim death after just one months use.

4. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

The fact that...

3 out of the 4 short-listed suppliers withdrew from the bid process (which included IBM, HP and one other I forget) leaving Fujitsu the ONLY bidder should tell you all you need to know about the whole procurement process and the system that will be delivered.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Alert

Re: The fact that...

I know that "we" walked away from it, and we are not IBM or HP...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Terminator

"We" walked away from it...

Bull? No, not BS, but 'Bull'?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

no SPARC

Notice no HPC for SPANC64 VIIIfx

only Japan would buy that chip...which i hear is the size of a post-it

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

politics driven architecture

-Seen this in the whole EU grid; their distributed architecture is driven by a need to have each institution with its own racks of machines, even though the whole lot would fit into a single datacentre which could then have fast and free interconnectivity.

7. Captain TickTock
    Thumb Up

There's tidy

"It claims the system will bring in an additional £22.8m to the Welsh economy over the next 10 years, create "400 quality jobs" and help create at least 10 new businesses."

8. Ascylto
    Big Brother

18th March 2011

"The Department for Work and Pensions' (DWP) cancellation of its desktop support contract with Fujitsu ultimately reflects badly on both parties ...

If so, then one of two things must have happened - either that due diligence was not done suitably diligently, or Fujitsu, shall we say, was over-ambitious and economical with the truth."

CAVEAT EMPTOR!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like