back to article Dell takes x64 micro servers mainstream

Dell is taking its micro servers, which it first created on a custom basis for dedicated hosters last year, mainstream in the PowerEdge-C line of machines. Micro servers, according to the definition espoused by Dell and Intel alike, are usually based on a single processor socket, have minimal memory, little or no …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. hamsterjam
    Thumb Up

Clearly named for old-school soul music fans

If you're ready, come go with me...

http://www.allmusic.com/artist/the-del-vikings-p4068

2. AndyM

Micro Servers?

Are these not just blade servers, looks like it.

Why call them Micro Servers, don't see the diffrence.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

+1 for that

What is the difference between these and other providers' blade systems?

Also, I've been looking at a bunch of dual-core 13" laptops for EUR500 ex VAT with room for 8GB DDR3. I reckon I could get a dozen into 4U, with onboard UPS (battery), monster green credentials and gigabit ethernet, all for EUR6000. Come to think of it, that's not that cheap. Forget it.

1. tpm (Written by Reg staff)

Re: +1 for that

There are a number of differences. A blade chassis has its own internal management controller and tools that span all of the blades as well as shared storage and shared networking. They also have a shared midplane linking the blades to the chassis and to the switches and management controllers. Blades can also have two or four sockets. Micro servers are small, don't have a shared management framework, are generally single-socket boxes with minimal memory and I/O. They plug into shared power and have their own disks.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like