back to article Cray to build huge, grunting 20-petaflop 'Titan' for US gov labs

Oak Ridge National Laboratory, one of the big supercomputer centers funded by the US Department of Energy, has tapped Cray to build a monster cluster that will weigh in at 20 petaflops when it is completed next year. According to a presentation (pdf) by Buddy Bland, project leader for the Oak Ridge Leadership Computing …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

But can it run Crysis 2

at max resolution?

1. GatesFanbois

blah

yes

2. Elmer Phud

yeah but . . .

. . . Flash still freezes

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

re: yeah but...

Yeah, but it freezes so much faster!

2. cor
    Pint

Hmm.... 3d Torus eh?

That would most likely cause the 'mini black-hole' that the Hadron Collider failed to deliver.

Just enough time for a pint before the end of the world...

3. serviceWithASmile

how will it be cooled?

i.e how many olympic swimming pools will it heat?

1. Captain TickTock
      Pint

Proper Olympics pools...

not like the one in Portmouth...

full of beer

4. MinionZero
    Happy

I want one ... on my phone!

@"will scale from 100 to 250 petaflops"

Considering a high end mobile phone CPU plus its GPU can now already beat a top of the range early 1980's cray super computer, I look forward to the day future mobile phones have 250 petaflops. :)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I don't think that old Cray

needed to play Angry Birds

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Was just saying to a mate

about the Met Office's 400Mhz Cray 1, back in 1980 or so.

My blackberry is now more powerful than that was. Thus, in 30 years time, we can look forward to this monster on your wrist. This will one day be viewed by future kids as stoneage.

My laptop conundrum, that all this three tier bollocks will fade away as power increases to the point where all worldwide computing requirements can be served from a single Dixons laptop, in a client server fashion, is coming true.

That said, if the american invisibles, who I'm sure know who they are, started doing Buckingham Palace type tours round their datacentres, just to impress people with the scale of what can be done, I'm sure I could fit it in alongside a trip to Disneyland, and would promise not to do an Eddie (Shoestring.)

6. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

more weather bollocks

But at a much faster rate, no doubt.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

We are all doomed!

... and after the TITANS came the GODS

8. Smithy

Crazy Performance

Why do they need to keep updating their systems every 2-3 years? Is what the already have not good enough because most scientists would love to have just a fraction of that power. Maybe it's time critical work and the amount of data is increasing all the time so they need to plan ahead now.

Well at least the tech is filtered down eventually somewhat to ordinary consumers. Intel's consumer (1st & 2nd gen i7's) and server based CPUs are amazing and seem to only make my jaw drop further! My 8-minute 1080p video rendering on 2600+ 4.8GHz (16GB RAM 1.8GHz) takes only 20mins at max quality rendering on either MainConcept mpg2 (8-bit @10MB/s). It used to take 1hr 55mins on QX6700@3.3GHz. This is simply using the CPU and not the onboard CPU/GPU chip. Shows you it is well worth upgrading for the performance increases to be had from CPU's with a 4.5 year gap.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like