back to article Aussie digital publishers busted

Australian online publishers have been accused of pumping up their audience numbers and misleading advertisers, following research from measurement watchdog the Audit Bureaux of Australia (ABA). The new report from the ABA claims that practices such as double counting of page views, counting pages before they load and counting …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Mark 65

Auto-refresh

I believe sites such as the courier mail use auto-refresh and now I know why.

2. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Canada's own CBC.ca uses auto-refresh

CBC.ca auto-refreshed on me after about 11 minutes... ...even while I was trying to watch a 13-minute long Pentagon briefing being played via their website. Extremely annoying.

Then again, this is the same band of idiots that make all front page images 852 pixels wide, even if they're only an inch wide on a 23-inch monitor.

I could assume that they're either evil or stupid. I'll go with the latter.

CBC.ca webmasters - dumb.

3. Tom 35

Putting advertisers at risk

"The ABA has warned media buyers and advertisers to be aware of these issues and look for the ABA green tick"

So it's just an ad for their service. Zzzzzz

Green tick? So they are a bunch of blood sucking insects?

4. FozzyBear
    Go

WOW

What a fuckin' shocker. Online publishers inflating their own numbers in order to get more business Truth in advertising and on the internet... I guess it's out there somewhere.

This does answer a question I have been pondering for some time, though.

"What happened to all the used car salesmen?"

5. Steve Brooks

news.com.au

news.com.au also do this. My reading habits are, scroll down page, click middle mouse button to open interesting story on new tab, keep going to page ends, read through tabs. if ONLY they refreshed only after 11 minutes, with news.com.au it seems to be about every 30 seconds, completely destroying my flow, and then every tab refreshes every 30 seconds, this is one of the most annoying thing out of all the news pages I browse.

Once on another site there were sliding popups that blocked whatever you were reading, I would have 30 odd tabs open, and on EVERY tab this damn popup would slide out with the exact same add that requried a button click to get rid of. This got so annoying I even wrote to the news site to tell them I would never go back to their site until it was removed. They managed to surprise me by writing back and letting me know they were changing the behaviour as an ongoing part of the development of the website. What they actually meant to say was, they had pissed so many people off they were losing readers hand over fist, but the corporate PR filter must have changed it for them without them realising

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like