back to article Ofcom stamps out mobile termination fees

Ofcom has confirmed its plan to cut mobile termination rates, though not as quickly as some would like. The final statement from Ofcom will see termination rates – the amount paid by the caller's network to the recipient's network – rapidly cut in half, and then steadily reduced until 2014 when it hits a shade more than half a …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Cameron Colley

"... less money to pay for next-generation networks... "?

Surely you mean less money for shareholders and management bonuses?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Flame

less money

... or less money for Tax

Oh, wait.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Pint

"... less money to pay for next-generation networks... "?

Forget less money for shareholders... it means less money for those obscene management bonuses.

Beer coz I need a tall, cool one.

2. Velv
    Go

Good

About time too. Not fast enough in my opinion.

"and would have to cut handset subsidies"

Even better. About time Joe Public was actually made to understand the economics of their "free" handset, all the better to benefit those of us who don't upgrade every year.

Events in recent months have proven that the power is in the communication, and not the gadget.

3. D@v3

cue...

...a drop in bundled minuets.

1. DavCrav
      Headmaster

On the other hand

it might result in an increase in bundled polkas, which can only be a good thing.

2. The Fuzzy Wotnot
      Happy

Minuets?

You got free music with your contract?! All I got was shite data allowance and an excuse for the provider to bug me with adverts by SMS every 2 hours!

4. David Hickson (Silent Calls Victim)

Some disturbing other effects will follow

More comments here - http://tiny.cc/ofmob

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

bad for some good for others?

Things right now are the right price for me. I enjoy getting a new handset every 18 months.

"all the better to benefit those of us who don't upgrade every year"

All the newer more competitive contracts seem to be 24 months, so upgrading every other year not every year is the choice most of us face in future, and with providers being forced to lower charges, theres either going to be an impact in handset subsidies, reduction of minutes, or contracts extended to 36 months. Either that or all customer service support to be outsourced to another country, yet more jobs gone from the uk.

The directors have a duty to look after the shareholders money, any impact this is going to have on share prices and profits is surely going to be looked at and met with maybe one or more of the possibilities I have outlined

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like