back to article Java daddy: 'Aggressively stupid' won't work for Oracle

Oracle has got no choice but to get it right on Java, according to Java founder James Gosling, who has voiced some support for the database giant's proposed changes. According to Infoworld, Gosling is told told TheServerSide Java Symposium that with a large part of Oracle's business dependent on Java, "it's in their own self …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Troll

Why not?

It works for Java developers . . .

1. David Dawson
      Joke

I'm a java developer

Go on.. Say that again.. to my face.

I'll wipe that smug grin off your face..

Saying I'm aggressively stupid... Thats just stupid!

1. Steven Knox
        Boffin

Aggressively Stupid....

is saying "I'll wipe that smug grin off your face.." without first ascertaining if the other party may, in fact, be able to wipe more than just a grin off of your face.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Ha ha ha

'Oracle won't break Java because they use it'.

No, Oracle won't break the Java they're using. Or at least, they'll try not to.

Now on what part of Oracle's proud history do you base the conclusion that they would also want to make sure that everyone else's Java-dependent business keeps going?

3. sola

If Oracle gets really aggressively stupid

then Apache and Google can still create a nice Java fork and pretty quickly kill Oracle's Java.

Some thought on this:

http://soltesza.wordpress.com/2010/12/11/the-case-for-a-new-apachegoogle-java/

1. Captain TickTock
      Pirate

then Apache and Google can still create a nice Java fork and pretty quickly kill Oracle's Java.

...as long as they can dodge the patent fire...

where's the Larry with horn's? No need for a halo version

4. Tom 13

Gosling seems to have forgotten Barum's dictum:

Never bet against aggressively stupid.

5. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

**Now** he doesn't care about the language?

IIRC for a long time Sun did forbid any other language to output Java byte code, in its design Java and the JVM were strictly tied. IIRC Borland many years ago demonstrated a Delphi compiler that could output Java byte code, but then abandoned the project because of licensing issues. Now that .NET demonstrated a VM can be used by different languages and they lost ground to MS Gosling has changed is mind?

1. John Gamble

Re: **Now** he doesn't care about the language?

It's an open question -- searching around didn't find me anything, so we can't really guess at what changed his mind (maybe .NET did it, but it could equally likely have been something else).

I see a lot of interesting languages that make use of JVM: <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_JVM_languages>.

Huh. I understand the interest in JVMing some of them, but REXX?

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
        Go

Why not?

REXX is pretty ok.

It was the saving grace back when I worked on the AS/400. You could even build program code at runtime, then "eval" it, like in Lisp. Voilà - data to fill our DB/400 billing configuration tables computed in a page of code.

6. John Sanders
    Flame

I can not avoid it...

I have to say it, it is something that is more stronger than me...

Gosling, you seated the fate of Java the same day you refused to make a proper compiler for it.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like