back to article Texas bank robber asked for ID

A Texas master criminal's attempt to rob a Dallas bank ended badly after the teller requested two forms of ID before handing over cash. Nathan Wayne Pugh, 49, was on parole for two previous aggravated robberies when he marched into a branch of Wells Fargo to make an illegal withdrawal. Confronted by the teller's demand for …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge

Reality stranger than fiction

innit?

1. Colin Miller

A wise man once said...

"Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities, truth isn't. " -- Samuel L. Clemens.

2. Charles Calthrop
    Thumb Down

good that he's in prison

WHat a disaster there must be behind this for someone to rob 800 and lose 8 years of their life. Regardless of whether the sentence is harsh or not it just made me really sad to think someone has such a shitty life that they put themselves in this situation.

1. David Knapman

I don't know what banks are like in the states

But most banks in the UK don't have a sign up informing you of how much money is currently available for robbery. Do they have interactive screens above each teller, so you can pick which one to target?

2. P. Lee

re: good that he's in prison

Its Texas, he's lucky a possie didn't string him up from the nearest tree

3. Richard 120
    FAIL

Sheep

What a moron, blind obedience .

Seriously what kind of criminal carries ID on them when they're robbing a bank anyway?

Lock him up throw away the key, award him a darwin.

1. Sarah Bee (Written by Reg staff)

Re: Sheep

That's one of the worst abuses of the Darwin I've ever seen. Get out of this thread.

1. Paul_Murphy

Though to be fair...

The chances of him passing on his genes whilst in prison is remote (I hope)!

I agree with a previous poster though - what sort of dire straits is this person in to drive them to try and rob a bank of $800?

Maybe they are just so ill-educated and/ or stupid that they also believe in religion.

On the other hand maybe it was an easy way for them to get a room with bed and board for free.

hmm.

ttfn

1. dssf

Genes...

Oh, he can "pass them on"... they just won't be viable in the non-suc-cess-pool they end up in.... He won't get a room with a view, but someone'll get a bed with a peww....

2. Lamont Cranston
          FAIL

I like the idea that,

said bank robber would march up to the teller and, rather than demand all the money, requested only $800, no more, no less.

2. Chris Harden
        Thumb Up

Thread?

Your generosity is without limits oh Moderatrix - throwing him off of the interwebs would have been much more fitting.

3. Richard 120

Hardly

I was thinking of the "At-Risk Survivors" category, but if you want to be a bitch about it that's fine.

4. Ray Simard

It is indeed

Almost as good as the one who left a bank empty-handed when the teller told him he had to have an account with the bank to rob it.

5. The Fuzzy Wotnot
    Happy

Exactly!

Another reason why "we don't need no stinking ID cards"! If I decide to turn to a life of crime, I don't need to be caught out by quick thinking, on-the-ball bank tellers trying to find out who I am!

6. S Larti
    Coffee/keyboard

Bwahahahaha

hahahahahaha!

God I needed that. Not sure the boss agrees...

7. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

Seriously?

heh this happened in august..... BTW he was stopped by a pissed of mom fighting back...

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What did you expect

The guy is called Wayne, no further explanation required.

9. ravenviz Silver badge
    FAIL

Aggravated?

This didn't seem that aggravated if he obliged to requests for ID. I don't condone this of course but 8 years seems harsh for $100 / year. How about "two cash robberies, as well as a series of violent 'strangulation' robberies and one aggravated taking and driving away offence" to get 7 years?

http://www.smartwater.com/Media-Centre/Latest-News-2/December-09/Final-Member-of-Cash-Robbery-Gang-Sentenced.aspx

1. Brezin Bardout

That is strange.

It's almost as if it's two completely different cases in two completely different countries.

2. kissingthecarpet
      Pirate

He was the driver

So he didn't actually strangle anyone. It can be a major error, being a driver on a robbery. I know someone who drove on a robbery. During the robbery, one of the robbers shot an off-duty "have-a-go" copper dead. They all got 25+ years, including the driver, who was also considered guilty of murder, even though he wasn't armed & didn't get out of the car.

If you're going to commit crime, fraud is definitely the way to go. If you do it right, you may not even be committing a criminal offence, for vastly greater returns...

3. Anonymous Coward
      WTF?

Welcome to America!

america: The land where if a person steals $800 from a bank he goes to jail, but if the bank steals Billions of dollars from the people they get a government bail-out and then millions in bonuses to themselves.

1. Captain DaFt

As a wise "entrepreneur" once said;

"The most successful robberies are committed on paper, not with a gun."

And then there's the classic: "If you're going to steal, steal BIG!"

10. Anonymous John

Title

It doesn't seem to be the reason it was caught though.

Playmobil reconstruction please. I don't think we've had one this year so far.

11. Dick Emery

Reminds me of...

...The Great Escape in that final scene where the German officer speaks in English to the escaping officer, who then gets caught out on his own advice to other servicemen NOT to reply in English.

1. Rainer
      Thumb Up

Bingo

I bet the person behind the counter was also a film-buff ;-)

12. HP Cynic

Mmmm

I'm not just baffled at his stupidly but amazed the teller asked him for ID....was she that stuck in her routine?

Anyway the amount of money involved is not relevant: he was robbing a bank and the law protects the banks quite firmly.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Down

But thats all the law protects

If homeless person was mugged in the street and had every penny they own taken from them then police would laugh at them for reporting it, yet when someone steels an insignificant percentage of a Banks wealth it's armed man hunt time, lock'um up and throw away the key. Don't get me started on what happens when the Bank robs the tax payer.

13. Captain DaFt
    Happy

Reminds me of one that happened near me

Robber held up a convenience store near where I used to live, and the clerk handed over the money. Then the thief demanded a 6-pack of beer as well, and the clerk demanded ID as he "could get in real trouble" handing over beer to a minor. The ID was produced, the beer was handed over.

The police were waiting for the thief when he got home.

Smiley face because I always enjoy reading cases about dumb criminals.

1. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge
      Thumb Up

Brilliant!!

That clerk deserves a reward for sheer brilliance.

14. veti Silver badge
    Stop

I "robbed" my bank like that yesterday

If you show ID and walk out of a bank with $800... that's not a robbery, that's a withdrawal.

What exactly is the crime here?

15. A B 3
    Thumb Up

Check Dave Chapelle skit

In the skit the crack dealer is treated as a wealthy white collar criminal and the embezzler is treated as a crack dealer would be. In the reversed roles the crack dealer gets off with only a fake apology.

16. Neoc

Reminds me of a quote...

I worked for the local law enforcement in their IT division for 8 years. One of the Sergeants there had a quote which covers this:

"How stupid is the average criminal? Let me put it this way: he still gets caught by the average cop."

17. Eddy Ito
    Joke

He should have walked

Clearly asking for an ID was in violation of his 5th amendment rights protecting him from self incrimination!

18. George Nacht
    Unhappy

Two remarks

from two of my personalities:

1. If somebody with a parole sentence behind his neck goes to rob a bank...or rob anything for that matter, then that person WANTS to be in jail.

2. if somebody with a parole sentence behind his neck goes to rob a bank...or rob anything for that matter, then this country´s legal system seriously fails to deter people from crime.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like