back to article Google Docs plugs into email, turns 'comments' into 'discussions'

Google has equipped its Google Docs online word processor with a new discussion system designed to enhance collaboration between users. The setup augments the traditional "comments" system popularized by Microsoft Word, letting users not only attach comments to a document, but also readily discuss the document with collaborators …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Piloti
    Stop

I'd agree with the trust....

.... but the answer is not more "e-stuff", but the telephone.

Nothing sorts out confusion like a good talk.

1. Ole Juul

More cooks?

I'm with Piloti in that a good conversation is a better way to sort things out. If there is something lacking in a document the answer may be to get another writer. It is certainly not a good idea to get more of them.

1. Bill B

maybe but

The problem with the telephone is a) it can be expensive if its a long distance call and b) you can't record the conversation.

The kind of feature here is very good for collaborating between geographically distant design teams. A proposal document is put out and the resultant discussion can then be recorded so that when someone asks "why did you choose to do it *that* way?" you can point to the audit record.

2. Magnus Ramage

Verbing weirds language

I think that's the first time I've seen "dogfood" used as a verb! (I know the phrase "eating your own dogfood", but not contracted like that.)

1. TeeCee Gold badge
      Coat

@Magnus Ramage

It's called "American English"*. Its goal is to convert all nouns to verbs while chucking the odd "z" into the result.

*Presumably it lacks the word "Oxymoron" too.

3. Relgoshan

Boo

Company loves to push big press releases and betas of useless nearsighted features.

1. Version 1.0 Silver badge
      Happy

"useless nearsighted features"

That would be Google Docs then? I've tried it and frankly it sucks - the wifi has to use it because that what they use where she works and she hates it - and she's not someone who normally get's that bothered about stuff.

The worst thing about Android on the Nexus-S is that it's dogknotted into Google - otherwise it's a good phone and untied from Google would be really interesting.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

A part of me died....

when Google killed Wave.....

5. Tasogare
    Unhappy

Mount box, insert soap...

"So then discussions move into email. But then it's really hard to follow. It loses its structure and you add people halfway through and you lose track of what you're discussing."

I blame top posting for this.

Actually I blame top posting for everything.

6. Spanners Silver badge
    Happy

@Version 1.0

To me, some of the useful things in Android are because it is tied into Google stuff.

Maybe, that was why Nokia had problems. Apple links its stuff, Microsoft can too.

Untie Android from Google and you have an interesting collection of bits but nothing that would do too well.

7. mhenriday
    Pint

I've found Google Docs to be very useful

when collaborating on documents, far easier than sending new draughts backwards and forwards. The greatest problem I've had with Google Docs is that in converts all footnotes to endnotes, which means that the final version has to be reformatted in a word processor like OpenOffice/LibreOffice. Haven't yet had occasion to try the new discussion system, but from what Cade writes, it seems like a step forward. Telephone conversations can indeed be helpful in straightening out problems, but are not always practicable with multiple collaborators working in widely different time zones....

Henri

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like