back to article Phone, car companies collaborate to connect cars, phones

Eleven companies want to make it easier to connect your mobile gadgetry to your car, and to get the two talking a common language. They have formed the inevitable industry consortium to do it. Said body is the Car Connectivity Consortium, and it's backed by phone manufacturers Nokia, Samsung and LG; in-car electronics firms …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Lionel Baden

hmmm

wonder how long it will be till they release an app drive your car with your phone.

1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
      Welcome

App to drive your car

Hmmm

Already been done. Well in the world that James Bond inhabits it has...

2. OffBeatMammal

standard or stagnate?

looking at the lead time to get things like Ford Sync implemented in cars - and the obsession with only making it for new models not after market retrofit - I wonder how long (decades?) and investment here will take to pay off?

I really like things like the MotoCarma bluetooth/ODB-II connectivity app and think that's a good step in the right direction, along with the S=recent "android powered" Saab concept car

Ideal solution for me is something like a 7" Slate and a car dock, and the slate functions as nav, music, eco-friendly monitoring etc when docked (and gets a power and antenna boost) but goes with me from car to office and back again (so a standard dock connector/port/layout would be useful... DIN/Dual-DIN stereo slots are a great start...

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not a bad idea in theory

It would allow people to use the phones sat nav rather than the out of date when it leaves the factory £2k+ sat nav option that is on alot of cars. Of course the manufacturers will probably force you to have the "connectivity pack" which would cost £2.5k+ and include the sat nav anyway.

4. Anton Ivanov
    Happy

Curiouser and curiouser

At least some of the players in that least had MeGo selected as a car entertainment platform.

I wonder where that one stands now...

5. Steve Evans

Curious...

I see one thing is marked as "done" by "Nokia"... Have they checked recently, they might have thrown this out with the bath water the other week!

6. Dazed and Confused

About bloody time

I get fed up with people whinging an whining on car forums that that their £XX grand car won't talk to the their few hundred quid phone since they updated the FW to get some crap game to work and how the car company should sort this out at once.

This has got to be one of the areas that is most calling out for standardisation.

7. fireman sam
    FAIL

RE: About bloody time

Actually Nokia were one of the worst at this. Their Series 60 phones won't share the phonebook properly with the phone system in my BMW, and I think Audis and Mercedes were the same.

Their series 40 phones worked fine however. Complaining to Nokia they claimed it was the car manufacturers fault and the car company blamed Nokia. No matter whose fault it's pretty obvious which one users will change. For all the complaining about their poor BT implementation the iPhone works perfectly with it.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like