back to article Avon and Somerset police launch online crime tracker

The Avon and Somerset police service has launched an online crime tracker to provide the public with access to information extracted from its systems. The force hopes that the website, named TrackMyCrime, will help cut the time people spend waiting for police officers to call them back about their enquiries, as they will be …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hmm.

status = now > (crime.getOccuredTime() + Constants.3months) ? "No Further Developments" : "Under Investigation";

That'll be 100 grand please.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

iRozzer v1.1:

foreach ($dna_database_row as $criminal) {

switch (get_colour($criminal)) {

case 'black':

$status = STITCH_UP_DRUGS;

break;

case 'brown':

$status = STITCH_UP_TERROR;

break;

case 'white':

$status = STITCH_UP_PAEDO;

break;

default:

$status = falsely_accuse(rand());

}

}

1. Colin Brett
        Black Helicopters

This is the Apple Plod

Thwoppa! Thwoppa! Thwoppa!

SWAT team abseils down from the chopper and proceeds to kick your door in.

"Alright sonny! You've deliberately and with malice aforethought used the letter i (lower case) in front of another word. We've got you bang to rights on the charge of taking the p*ss out of Chief Constable Jobs."

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Please...

...let this be a success, but I can just seeing it going horribly wrong down the road.

Now when you phone to say someone is trying to break into your house and kill, you may be able to find out what week they will be turning up to deal with it.

1. Elmer Phud
      Coat

phone?

No more phoning, "Just enter your details in the box provided. your crime report number will be emailed to you (requires registration)".

Someone else has got my coat

3. spillage

Thats A Great Help

Just been burgled...did they take your pc laptop and smartphone?...Yes..Oh dear,! so I guess this is no help then....

So we can expect more bobbies to be out on the streets as they have more time on thier hands. Of course they will be stood at the side of the road holding a speed gun..

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Online tracker?

"Victims of crime are also able to send messages back to the investigation team and view information, for instance, about their stolen or damaged property"

11.26 Your stolen TV is now located in a warehouse in Xyz.

17.38 Your £800 stolen TV has now been sold to Mr John Doe of Xyz for £300 cash.

18.32 John Doe installed your stolen TV in his living room.

19.35 The burglars celebrate by having rounds at the local pub.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I wonder if

The new system is based upon SAP (re: South-west one debacle). If so, I wonder if it will work as well as the rest of their system?

Oh well, at least the good burghers of Somerset will know that the increase in their council tax is going to a good cause...

1. Mark Aggleton
      FAIL

Increase

As a resident of Somerset having received my council tax bill this week the only increase is in the town council precept. None for the county or police

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

May be a daft wish but...

...anything that reminds the plod that they serve the public and that the warrant cards they carry are a priviledge given to them by the public government, is a good thing.

Too many coppers think that the warrant card is a weapon to be used against the public ... photographers in particular.

7. LuMan
    Unhappy

Great!

So now I can receive a text telling me that the they've spoken to the person on the video footage I provided, who was brazenly putting my mountain bike in the boot of his car, and they are 'satisfied' with his explanation, instead of me having to wait 12 weeks to receive a letter.

While I can see the benefit of the system as a whole, I can't help feeling the money would be better spent actually making communities safer........

Perhaps it's just me <sigh>

ps - 11 months on - still no mountainbike!

1. Anonymous Coward
      WTF?

Out of curosity...

What was his explanation?!

1. LuMan
        Stop

Explanation

Currently "undisclosed"

If I want to actually find out what he said I've got to 'apply' for disclosure. I think this may involve a FOI request. Oddly the local plod weren't to keen to advise on the best process for this.

Off to Legal-Aid.com now.......

8. h4rm0ny

GPG?

Potentially a good idea, but they seem to have forgotten that emails are in some senses the equivalent of a postcard. I don't suppose the system supports sending encrypted emails?

9. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

Possibilities for this to go wrong?

It's a nice idea, an informative and responsive police service,

However...........

"You can check your bank account and track parcels online, it makes sense to provide a service where you can check details about your crime too."

There is a reason that some of us will not touch online banking without a strong authentication, Also, just because something can be done in one context does not necesisarily make it appropriate in another.

And what are the possibilities for the crooks to use the system to track how well the investigation is going, and therefore when to take a holiday in a country with no extradition treaties?

10. chops

TrackMyCrime?

TrackMyCrime? A rather glib title unless it's to allow the perpetrator of a crime, rather than the victim, to see how close Detective Knacker is to catching him.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Grenade

Is that a contest site?

Should you use it to track the police tracking you after you commit a crime?

Fuck, they should release a version targeted to Atlanta.

12. Sam Therapy
    Unhappy

They should try it in South Yorkshire

It'd be interesting to see how many progress reports returned a value of "Fuck All".

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like