back to article Apple sells 500,000 iPads, runs out of stock

Apple is estimated to have shifted half a million iPad 2s this weekend - almost all of them within 24 hours of the 'even more magical' gadget going on sale on Friday. Last year, the Mac maker shifted 300,000 iPads in the first day of the tablet's availability. This year's total comes from Apple watcher and Piper Jaffray …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Aristotles slow and dimwitted horse
    Stop

Love it, or loathe it...

Those are pretty good numbers for a device that has (as many commentards regularly point out) no real purpose.

1. Snapper
      FAIL

"No real purpose"

...That you can see.

2. Carol Orlowski
    FAIL

Can't have one marketing

pioneered by Nintendo.

Sell even more by telling people they can't have one...

But then it's Apple Customers, who are traditionally morons, so I guess this works to great effect.

1. jai

in fact, 49% were PC users

Actually, apparently the "buyers were split almost evenly between Mac and PC users (51%/49%)"

http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2011/03/13/piper-jaffray-ipad-2-totally-sold-out-70-to-new-buyers/

1. Alan Twelve

Given that they all bought iPads...

...they were all Apple customers, surely?

Oh, and Macs are PCs anyway.

3. zanto
    Pint

if i were a conman

i'd be weeping tears of unabashed joy at the sheer numbers of rich suckers in the world.

1. The Fuzzy Wotnot
      Pint

An ill wind and all that

Well almost, however the more mug...sorry customers who jump on the latest tech, the better that is for us who get the same tech at 1/10th of the price in a few months time!

2. It'sa Mea... Mario

A title will be along shortly..

Yeah because the comparable rival tablets are so much cheaper... </sarcasm>

4. Ian Ferguson
    Jobs Horns

Hmm

If Apple didn't insist on utter secrecy before the announcement date, followed ridiculously closely by the launch date, they could probably manufacture and stuff the supply chain enough to meet inevitable demand.

But, as others have pointed out, that wouldn't get the 'sold out within MINUTES!!!1!' publicity that money cannot buy.

1. Alan Twelve

Re: Hmm

Even better, because their new devices are always 'sold out within MINUTES!!!1!', in order to get one, you have to either wait weeks, or queue up to get it on the first day, thereby guaranteeing they'll be 'sold out within MINUTES!!!1!'

It's a kind of genius. Albeit, one that's only enabled by having an extremely creepy relationship with the press.

2. Prag Fest
      Jobs Horns

Yes!

I know!! Utter piss takers those Apple jokers. Imagine announcing a new product and saying you can actually buy it in a couple of weeks!! Insane!!!

The other manufacturers know how to do it, promise the world then ship it 2 years late, if at all!! Genius!!!!

You complete fu**ing...

5. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

Android Fanbois

I would think the Android fanbois would be happy that Apple is selling a ton of their useless fondleslabs to the sheeple. After all, it keeps the unwashed masses away from their beloved geek toy. If Android was as popular as iOS, the true geeks would drop it for a N900 faster than you can say "missing the point..."

6. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Marketing 101

"Never make enough of anticipated product, so you can captialise on it in the media! Never see it as a statement that you're not competent enough to make the required amount but that your product is so damn good that it sells out so fast."

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Such sweet sweet tears of the haters

Morons are the mindless haters, blinded by their bitterness.

1. JEDIDIAH
      Linux

...and the point is what exactly?

> Morons are the mindless haters, blinded by their bitterness.

Not one person has mentioned one thing that the new iPad can do

that the old one already doesn't do. Sure there's been plenty of hype

about artificial benchmarks that may or may not pan out. However, no

one has really adequately explained what they plan to get out of trading

one overpriced toy for another or what the urgency is.

1. Anonymous Coward
        FAIL

OMG...

Well it has cameras this time so some really obvious ones for starters are:

Facetime

Augmented reality

Take pictures*

*I'm not gonna get into the 'Why with 10" pad' arguement - it just can if you want it to

And I don't think anybody is suggesting that it was only existing customers buying them...

2. Prag Fest
        Boffin

@Jedidiah

Erm, how do benchmark results pan out or not?

Based on the CPU / GPU combo used It's a significantly more powerful bit of kit, thats just a basic fact, proven by science.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Jobs Horns

Baa Baa....

Half a million sheep and counting....

whenever apple put a new product to market its always a sure fire way to count the number of people missing brain cells / common sense / own thinking (delete as applic)...

Mint sauce anyone?

9. Wang N Staines

have you seen

the price of the Xoom?

10. Mark .

How much free advertising? Wasted man years?

"almost all of them within 24 hours of the 'even more magical' gadget going on sale on Friday."

24 hours? I don't think so. There's been wall-to-wall media coverage and free advertising for months. Presumably they were taking pre-orders too. The 24 hour period was simply when they shipped.

And they do this everytime - "run out", so we get yet more non-stories giving them coverage.

Of course, now that the Ipad 2 is here, I guess the Register will be running stories of how many thousands of wasted man years went into Ipad 1 right (as with the Nokia story - apparently Symbian is all a waste, because in future there'll be newer Windows phones...) ?

"in fact, 49% were PC users "

That stat makes no sense - "Macs" are PCs these days. If you mean that 49% weren't Apple PC users, that still means that 51% were, suggesting most of the sales are coming from those who are already Apple users. This also ignores the 49% who may also be Ipod users. Perhaps there's nothing wrong with that, but I'm unclear what point the stat is trying to make (other than being yet-another-Apple-story).

I mean, how many Android phone users, once owned a Sony console? How many Windows netbook users have a Nokia phone? Are these all newsworthy stories too?

"If Android was as popular as iOS"

It's more popular.

1. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

iOS = iPhones + iPod Touches + iPads

>> If Android was as popular as iOS

> It's more popular

Close but no cigar. Android phones are more popular than iPhones, but when you include iPod Touches and iPads, there are more iOS devices out there than there are Android devices.

To wit:

http://www.dkszone.net/android-vs-apple-iphone-os-rim-blackberry-symbian

http://thenextweb.com/apple/2010/10/18/apple-posts-q3-earnings-and-sales-iphone-sales-up-91/

(first graph shows Android only 2% ahead of iPhones in US. iPod Touches and iPads combined sales are roughly the same as iPhones => iOS easily ahead of Android).

Unless you have facts to the contrary...

11. Lottie

P45?

If I were in charge of a business, I'd fire the guy who *repeatedly* screwed up the manufacturing stockpile/ projections and caused so many "out of stock" moments. Every time an apple product comes out it's the same.

Of course, I'm not suggesting it's stage managed to run out ASAP, oh nooooo

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

1 million in first weekend

Well considering it took Apple 28 DAYS to sell the first million hot selling iPad 1s and only 48 HOURS to do the same with the iPad 2, just maybe they were caught off guard this time.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

Useless?

If it's useless how did I use mine to read this article and reply to it? Isn't that a use?

What is useless is people moaning, whining and labelling massive sections of the world as morons etc just because they bought a gadget that either you don't want or can't afford. Either way really nobody gives a crap about what you think.

13. Cyclist
    Thumb Up

Gotta have one then

Being a PC + Penguin user by default, and having an iPod (Christmas gift actually) I don't know where I stand in terms of being informed by various commentar... errr correspondents on here whether or not I want one of these things. Sensing ownership of an iPad does seem to bring out the worst in some of you lot, really.

But you know what, I actually do quite fancy one, and all this name-calling on here tends to steer me closer towards one. The cost is nothing in reality, just some different numbers on an account balance somewhere that won't change my life this year or next all being well. I didn't know I fancied an iPod until I had one and that's a neat bit of kit. Safe to assume that the iPad will be too, so that sounds good enough reason to buy one at an opportune moment. When I do, I promise not to come on here and gloat about it. With any luck it'll quickly become just another toy - like the iPod - to hop on the net with, or play Paper Toss, or Sudoko, to get in touch with distant friends & family, or d/l some toons if I feel like it. Y'know, just like a trimmed down PC.

I really don't get the name-calling and hatred targeted at people who apparently 'just fancy' a neat toy. As far as I can tell it does what it does very well; of all the reviews of alt f/slabs that I've seen none seem to have that x-factor + range of toys that the IPad does, and there's no point buying second best just to save a few bob.

Where do I queue up for one then?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Apple TV

Is your iPod a Touch? If so, that and your iPad can "Airplay" wirelessly to your HDTV using the little 6" Apple TV. It also can see your PC or Mac. One of the coolest little devices I've owned.

http://www.apple.com/appletv/

14. Dana W
    Jobs Halo

Useless?

To geeks perhaps. I have three Macs "one running Linux" and I don't want an iPad. I'd take one for free, but for that price I could buy another actual computer.

But you need to remember, iPads are NOT for most of us geeks. They are for that relatives you have, the one who cannot be convinced not to open e-mail attachments no matter how hard you try. Grandparents with no interest in one of those "computer things" and people who's only real use for a computer is Facebook, Twitter, and web browsing.

The people who don't need or want an actual computer no matter the OS. They want a trouble free content device. They want their internet to be as easy as their TV and there are a LOT of these people.

Every iPad web user is one less botridden Winbox cranking out spam. Let them have their internet device, and we will have our computers.

1. ElReg!comments!Pierre

Sorry Dana, you're wrong

>Every iPad web user is one less botridden Winbox cranking out spam.

True but for the fact that you ALSO need an actual computer with iTune -potentially cranking out spam- to do anything useful with an iPad

15. ElReg!comments!Pierre
    Coat

@ useless

Nobody said the iPad is useless. It can be used. It is, however, entirely purposeless.

You by a chair because you want to sit, you buy a TV because you want to watch TV, you buy a computer because you want to get some work done, or to browse the web or play games or send emails, you buy a game console because you want to play games, you buy a phone because you want to make phone calls. You buy an iPad because you want to own an iPad.

Agreed, you can use the iPad to browse the web (if you are OK with neutered mobile versions of websites, and without flash. Like it or not -I don't-, flash is everywhere), You can play games on the iPad, if you're OK with simplistic games. You can do some work on your iPad, if you don't need to do anything complicated AND you already own a computer to sync to afterwards. You can watch movies on your iPad, if you're OK with the tiny display and the forearm-of-steel syndrome. It is NOT a standalone computer (on-the-go or otherwise), it is NOT a gaming rig, it is NOT a movie-watching device, and it's very limited even for very basic stuff such as web browsing. You can FIND uses your iPad after you bought it, but the use is almost entirely irrelevant to the buying decision. To reuse one of my previous comparisons, you can find uses for your cat (it hunts mice, spiders and centipedes), however chances are that you did not get a cat for the purpose of getting rid of mice, spiders or centipedes. You got a cat because it's good-looking and cuddly. Same reasons as for buying an iPad. If you have the money and want one, well, go ahead and get one. But don't pretend it has any specific purpose.

DISCLAIMER: I do own a number of purposeless gadgets, so I can understand. No iPad or cat to date, though. Too expensive, I would have to give up on one of my other purposeless and expensive hobbies: either my extensive collection of ancient computers, my numerous film cameras, my experimental Qi Hardware stuff, my collection of wind instruments, or the missus.

(coat: I'll need it to keep me warm on the couch if said missus ever reads that!)

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like