back to article Carphone Warehouse to chuck in free Kindle with phone buys

Carphone Warehouse has begun selling Amazon's Kindle. Ditto CW's joint venture with the Yanks, Best Buy UK. You can buy the popular e-book reader, paying for £111 for the Wi-Fi only model and £152 for the version with bundled 3G connectivity. Amazon Kindle 3 That's what Amazon charges - and other Kindle sellers, such as …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Graham 22
    Thumb Up

Deals from £25

Best handsets available on these Kindle deals will either be the Galaxy Ace or the HTC Wildfire. Sorry to all you folks expecting iPhone 4's and HTC Desire HD's.

Deals start from £30p/m with the Kindle 3G costing £20 or the non 3G for free.

Expect about 300-500 mins, Unlimited Txts and as long as your not on O2 you can get free 500Mb of data too.

Get 'em while you can...

2. Anonymous Coward
    Grenade

WArhouse

Free Predator style mini-gun with Galaxy S or a peashooter with iPhone4.

10 year contract.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Also Tesco is selling them for £111

But when did Amazon raise the price from £109 to £111, and why?

1. ACDef01

Because of George Osbourne

The price rose in line with the VAT increase in January.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

VAT

You may have heard of a VAT increase at the beginning of the year?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Megaphone

I don't remember the price coming down

funny that!

4. ForthIsNotDead
    Stop

Desperate?

Smacks of desperation to me.... If you believe the Amazon propaganda, they are selling a bazillion* Kindles for every paper book sold. Yeah right. I've still yet to see anyone weilding a Kindle. Never actually seen one in the flesh. If they are as ubiquitous as they claim, you'd expect folk on the bus/train/dole queue to be sporting them... Alas, no.

*bazillion=approx. 1 metric fuck-ton

1. Christopher Rogers
      Thumb Up

Well...

I was in London for a couple of weeks and nearly every other person on the tube was reading one.....

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

pretty common in our office

I have one and so do 3 others out of a 16 sitting near me at work. We all bought independently... but they are only popular with people who actually enjoy reading...

5. Pete 43
    Pint

Org

Try one of their web properties (eg E2Save) where they give you "anything you like vouchers"*

* AKA Cash

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Desperate?

I travelled on business to France in January and I was surprised by the number of Kindles (and, for that matter iPad's) I saw being used in airports and on the flights.

N.b. in any case bundling them with phones is not a sign of desperation by Amazon ... its BB/CW trying to sell more phones and handing back their "sign-up" commission from the networks in the form of a Kindle rather than the more traditional xbox/ps3 etc

7. Bill Cumming
    Thumb Up

There's been a rumour for the past few months..

... That Amazon US might start offering Kindles (wi-fi) for free with the Amazon Prime accounts.

(This has been going rounds for a few months, so not sure if it's accurate!)

It's $79 for the Prime account, so Amazon losing $20 or so per kindle, but having them locked into Amazons system coupled with the *Free* Streaming Movie service for Prime accounts it might pay off for Amazon in the long run...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like