back to article Don't forget the network

Two cups and a piece of string won’t cut it in a virtual world. If you are virtualising your desktops, your network must be able to cope with the additional traffic load, and resilient enough to support users who require access to their desktops at all times. How can you ensure it measures up? A poorly configured network can …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

The network.....and the SAN

That's where I got bitten, just wasn't expecting my storage requirements to go quite so crazy

2. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

Cough... Sputter... Cough....

150ms? No thank ya...

More like 150ns and with hardware segmentation offload not 150 ms if you want it to be a _REAL_ desktop replacement. That is what you need to have a thin client which is really indistinguishable from a real desktop in 99% of the cases - just like the Xterm which I am typing this on.

I have not measured the bandwidth, but just the pulseaudio streams for my headphones and voip client alone should be around 1.5Mbit (it is decoded on the server side so it is at least 2ch, 44Khz, 16bit, two way when the mic is active). And you have the video on top of that. And so on. I know it will be less if I use a "proper" VDI arch, but not by far. In fact it may depend on the actual usage pattern because a lot of the small X-atom-operations will end up with much larger redraws.

50 Kbit? Cough, sputter, cough...

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

network browser

something like ltsp local apps is the best compromise - all the central managment goodness and you still get to run the heavy html5 / youtube videos / google apps / sip client / video chat etc locally.

I don't know anyone that is a big fan of "virtualising your desktops" using individual VMs to make things easier.

This topic is closed for new posts.