back to article Operation Twitstorm: Devs as friends or foes

Opiate-of-the-masses Twitter has sparked an uproar by announcing new expectations and rules for third-party application developers. If you're on Twitter's side, the move is an attempt to bring some semblance of order to a market that’s become a sprawling mess. The mailing list message, attributed to Ryan Sarver in the Twitter …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Number6

I approve of corporate marketing on Twitter

The advantage of corporate marketing on Twitter is that it is the ultimate opt-in. If I happen to be interested in something I can either follow the feed or occasionally go read the stream. If I don't do either of those then I'm generally untroubled by it all. No pop-up ads, annoying flashy banners on websites (although I filter those anyway) or any of the other intrusive and objectionable methods in current use.

2. TeeCee Gold badge
    Happy

Re: I approve of corporate marketing on Twitter

So do I.

Not having a Twitter account nor any desire to get one, it's the ultimate opt-out. Everyone wins. They get to bombard the sheep with 140-character trivialities about their products and I get to ignore it all without even so much as lifting a finger.

3. James 139

I wonder

if corporate "advertisers" will see the realities of using twitter to promote products.

Unlike banners etc, people can actually interact with the tweets and retweet just how much they hate the products.

4. The Other Steve
    Dead Vulture

Cockwaffle

As usual the Internet echotard chamber takes a perfectly reasonable ToS change and one guy's opinion and blows it out of all proportion. About six actual devs, all of whom have wildly misinterpreted Ryan's initial posting and none of whom appear to have bothered their sorry asses to actually read the new ToS have lost their shit. That is all.

And yet all weekend, the shrilling of the ignorant has been making it's whiny way across the wires.

Man up twitter devs, twitter gives you their shit for free, and they can take their ball home any time they like. If you've been dumb enough to build a business around this model without anticipating the risk, you pretty much deserve to fail.

What's more, given that all that has actually happened is some not particularly onerous changes to the ToS, if this genuinely effects your app, you are almost certainly doing something dickish in any case.

All will now STFU and go and read the mailing list announcement and the ToS before continuing to whine in ignorance. Chance would be a fine thing.

5. Frank Bitterlich
    Grenade

Would be a good idea...

... if they would get their own clients to work decently. Take, for example, their (official) iPhone client. If you retweet something for which you have no permission, you get a positive confirmation, but nothing will happen. That's sloppy coding. But heavens forbid that anybody else does it right.

Well, this will probably be self-regulating. If there is not decent client, Twitter will disappear sooner or later. Problem solved.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like