back to article Giuliani: Eye-O-Sauron™ border scan-towers are top idea

Presidential contender Rudy Giuliani, former mayor of New York City, has expressed support for a "virtual fence" scheme in which Eye-of-Sauron-style scanner towers would be used to monitor the southern US border. He sees this as a good alternative to controversial plans for a physical fence in the Rio Grande Valley, which covers …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

never mind america

what is brown doing to curb the incredible influx of immigrants into this country, for which we are wholly incapable of coping with? SPEAK DUMMY, WHY DON'T YOU SPEAK?

2. Vladimir Plouzhnikov

Instantaneous justice

Seeing as Boeing is involved - when will they also propose to put a high-power chemical laser on top of the towers? Or maybe that will be the job of the anti-BM B747 they are building and still cannot finish...

3. Michael
    Joke

Now if only

Now if only they attached a Phalanx cannon to the radar tower...now THAT would deter illegal immigration.

4. Michael Miller
    Flame

If it can aim a camera

It can aim a gun.

Lets quit wasting time catching them.

It's time to say no means NO!

5. Jerry H. Appel

Eye of Sauron already on border

I live along the US-Mexico border (El Paso, TX), and I have driven along a major highway that runs along the border (New Mexico 9). I've seen some of these towers with electronics on them, and have flown near an aerostat. There are also oodles of Border Patrol agents in this area, yet there are still thousands crossing the border. I personally view this problem like drug use. It needs to be addressed in a constructive manner:open the border to people that want to work, keep track of them to prevent exploitation, and put these people on the path to becoming productive members of our society. You need to remember that in Mexico public education is a sham that only the middle class and wealthier can afford. Oh, I use the word middle-class rather loosely as there isn't much of one like the educational system.

6. amanfromMars Silver badge

Merciful Peace and Providence.

""The policies that I utilized with regard to illegal immigration were in the context of overall policies that probably were the most successful in the history of the country in creating an orderly, legal, lawful society," he said."

Bravo, Rudy .... Needs Must Always.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

It amuses me...

...that an nation built by immigrants at the expense of the indigenous peoples gets its pants in a twist over immigrants.

This is the same nation of immigrants who were gifted "Liberty Enlightening the World" which bears that now famous inscription:

"Give me your tired, your poor

Your huddled masses, yearning to breathe free.

The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.

Send these, the homeless, tempest – lost to me.

I lift my lamp beside the golden door."

Perhaps they need to change the inscription on that once great lady, or simply return the her?

8. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

I thought Mexico was a colony...

Why don't they stop messing around and take the Monroe doctrine to its natural conclusion and just invade!

Stop ruling those tin-pot places by proxy; tell Hugo to shutup and use direct rule over the whole bloody lot of them. That'll keep em non-white immigrants out!

9. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

I think a phallic cannon would be better than a phalanx

Imagine a "headshot" from that...

10. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

One question

Is the United States == Mordor?

11. Michael Miller
    Stop

Re: It amuses me

Damn right.

We busted our asses stealing it from the Native Americans.

It's ours now, so keep out!

And besides, we didn't write that, it was on it when we got it.

We just didn't want to hurt anyones feelings by grinding it off....

12. Hanin Elias
    Alien

Racism at any cost?

why do people like to pretend this is about anything other than racist motives? they like to throw out ideas like 'this will stop crime' or 'it will stem the tide of drugs flowing over the border'... how so? when it appears the majority of drugs are being smuggled in bulk by semis and ocean container ships... what about canada? what about all the meth being made within the border? crime? stopped by a border fence that only extends a few hundred miles.. if that? all of this makes no sense. the only thing they could possibly hope to achieve by any of this is to try to limit or demonize southern immigrants (mostly latinos). do people actually still believe that social benefits are still only consumed by minorities? did these racists actually think they could keep this country to themselves? surely you can find a reason to hate people that actually makes more logical sense than simply hating the color of their skin. this is the only logical conclusion anyone with half a brain could make, since there are no plans to make our northern border secure. i'm a 4th generation US Citizen about 10 miles from the border in the Rio Grande Valley working for local government... none of what appears on TV or said to be happening in the news actually happens with any more regularity than it happens anywhere else. RACISM IS NOT WORTH THIS MUCH TROUBLE!

13. Eduard Coli
    Gates Horns

Only in America

The real solution is not going to be just tighter borders using surveillance etc.

The real solution is going to be punishment for those who exploit illegal immigrants in the US. You levy a 100k fine and 2 year term per incident on exploiters of illegals in the US and see how fast it stops.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Thet are not harming us.

The illegals have always been here and them coming in haven't hurt anything these stupendous wastes of money only cause hard feelings and get in the way of common labor pool. I believe in open markets (including labor) but these commie bastards with their towers and right wing pretense aren't fooling anyone Stalin would be proud.

15. Morely Dotes
    Flame

Yeah, right, Rudy.

"Giuliani reportedly said that this kind of approach could end illegal immigration within three years."

Sure it will. But only if you can get the cooperation of the fairies at the bottom of the garden.

Politicians: Liars with high salaries and low IQs.

16. cor
    Dead Vulture

Sad... bastards....

Words fail me.

Texas belongs to Mexico.

Forget the Alamo.

Can anyone explain just what it is Americans fear from the Mexicans?

I mean, I know they (Americans) are paranoid schizos at best, but haven't they got their hands already full with the Afgans and Iraqis and Koreans and....

Look, in these times the US of A needs all the friends it can find.....

17. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Never mind America

"what is brown doing to curb the incredible influx of immigrants into this country, for which we are wholly incapable of coping with? SPEAK DUMMY, WHY DON'T YOU SPEAK?"

Well, given your grammar and use of capitals, one thing he's not doing is improving writing skills eh?

<Sigh>

Just another racist it seems

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@I thought Mexico was a colony...

"...tell Hugo to shutup and use direct rule over the whole bloody lot of them..."

HUGO?

Umm...did you mean to use the joke alert icon or did you REALLY mean to imply you don't know wtf you're talking about?

19. Mike Flugennock
    Thumb Down

Has it occurred to anyone...

...that all this technology ostensibly designed to keep people out might eventually, sometime soon, be used to keep people IN?

20. Andrew Moore

A better idea-

An 'open door' policy on the border- if you can prove you are a hardworking person of decent caliber then you get to come in. I mean it's not like illegal immigrants are not working in the states right now is it???

21. Bounty
    Flame

It's not quite that simple

Think of the US as an amusement park. They put fences around these places for a reason. It's not necessarily racist. Does it discriminate against the poor? You can look at it that way. It's certainly not very communist. You can enter, but you have to follow the rules...pay a fee. I'm part Native American, should I seek retribution against myself... Mexicans... and other whites? Get over it. I have a fence around my house. It's not because I hate anyone! I like Mexicans, I just wish the illegals would go back and start over again, the right way. It bothers me that we're as porous as the Afghan border.

22. Stuart Van Onselen

Lasers and the Irish

Firstly, if you're determined to murder incoming "illegals" indiscriminately, don't use the Boeing laser. Most Mexicans already have dark skin and don't need a tan, which is all that big piece of pork will ever be good for - an over-priced tanning bed, not a useful weapon.

Secondly, this has happened so many times in America you'd think they'd be used to it by now. Every couple of generations, the previous wave of exploited and hated immigrants proceed to hate and exploit the next wave.

For example, it's deeply ironic seeing turdlings like Bill O'Reilly decry the "illegals" as criminal scum who will over-run and destroy America. Isn't that EXACTLY what the English-Americans said about his own Irish ancestors?

(I don't know if the Native Americans said the same about the original English invaders, but they damn well should have!)

23. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Open door

Yeah, it's not like the US has any welfare worth exploiting for those who can *fake* being decent and hardworking; immigrants who aren't prepared to work won't be much better off than if they'd stayed in Mexico.

However, people often don't let the facts get in the way of chasing a myth. I think there would be serious consequences if unfettered immigration were allowed, given that the grass actually *is* greener in this case, and the US doesn't want to deal with them. There are a *lot* of Mexicans, living in very poor conditions, and their impact on the near-border states would not be insignificant if they were all allowed across.

I believe this is the first wave of immigration to North America across a land border since the ancestors of the Amerinds crossed the Bering land bridge. Migration acros a land border poses problems of scale and control that previous migrations by ship did not.

24. Barry Patterson
    Black Helicopters

@One Question

Well, Bush HAS already been compared to Sauron...

I know I've seen a picture of him supposedly wearing the "one ring" with a title of "Frodo failed."

25. Peter Lawrence
    Coat

@Michael Miller

Jawohl, comrade!

Too bad Comrades Ulbricht and Honecker aren't still around; they'd doubtless be able to give you some pointers on how to deal with people seeking their freedom!

This topic is closed for new posts.