back to article PlayStation update couples console to cloud and disconnects hackers

Sony has released a PlayStation firmware update today which not only gives customers cloud space, but attempts to plug all penetrable gaps and make hackers rethink their approach. Firmware 3.60 adds the cloud-based service for PS Plus subscribers that we mentioned last month. Those who pay subscription fees are now able to …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Grenade

1337 hours

I'll start 1337 hours

2. Thomas 4

You're asking the wrong question

The real question is which will happen first - PS3 being hacked again or Youness Alaoui (KaKaRoToKS) having Sony lawyers kicking down his front door?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Where does he live?

In some countries this isn't illegal AFAIK.

Of course, IANAL and all...

3. Deano2099

The last update...

Actually the last PS3 update, 3.56, still hasn't been hacked. Yes, someone said they had the codes so it should be trivial and what-not, and then no-one did it. People on the hacked 3.55 have been able to 'fake' 3.56 and so get online without having to update, but no-one that updated to 3.56 is able to hack their console currently.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

no-one that updated to 3.56 is

willing to admit that they've hacked it because they don't want to associate with lawyers, perhaps?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

idle controller timer

Correction: the timer option to switch off an idle controller was implemented ages ago, with options of 10 minutes or 1 hour. Now I think they have just added more options.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Done it!

'Twas simple, dropped a sledgehammer on to of it!

Oh - not what you meant by break into it? Shit, I'm not paying for that

6. Carol Orlowski
    FAIL

Errrm

How many things can you get wrong in a single article?

1/ previous errors were epic fails..

Not really, a console that took over 4 years to crack. I think Nintendo 3DS which was cracked the moment it was releases is rather more "epic" than that.

2/ PS+ is WAY more than cloud storage. Your £40 a year (or 15 months currently) gets you several hundreds of quid worth of free games, PSN, PS1 and Minis, along with Themes and Avatars etc, you also get a overnight update downloader/installer, so never have to wait for game updates again, you also get the play the latest betas, and some nice discount on full titles.

3/ The last update was NOT hacked in less than 24 hours. Anyone that applied the 3.56 update can no longer jailbreak it and any previous signing keys are now also blacklisted. If you ever installed a jailbreak or custom firmware, you will have also been contacted by Sony. and there are now titles coming in that require 3.56 firmware. So unless you want to play old games off-line you HAVE to get the latest firmware.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

There are ways

To get online with a jailbroken PS3. You need to run a program and PSN is available. It was NEVER lost to JB-PS3s. There is even a custom firmware to allow access. 3.60 will be spoofed to allow access soon. On the point of new games, they will be altered (cracked) to allow them to run on old firmware. All this cat and mousing is just driving those with hacked devices to piracy. If you want the lastest games, you HAVE to pirate it.

7. Dabooka
    Stop

@Carol Orlowski

To be fair to the article, "previous errors were epic fails.." was a direct quote of Alaoui. Also, the issue of online games requiring the latest patch isn't exactly a new thing either is it (regardless of the jailbroken status of the console)? I do take your point regarding the PS+ though.

8. sgtrock
    WTF?

How many hours?

Better question: How many lost sales? I, for one, have chosen to avoid purchasing either a PS3 or an XBox because of stuff like this. Am I really the only one?

1. sT0rNG b4R3 duRiD
      Flame

@How many hours?

^ This.

Don't get me wrong. The PS3 is a great piece of kit.

But... Whatever way you look at it, with what they have been doing recently, Sony appear even more evil than Apple.

Keep going the way you are, Sony. I ain't buying any more of your crap.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Troll

pscloud

Downloadable patches, preloading, avatars, cloud-based save-games and logins from multiple clients?

A bit like Steam then, except you have to pay for it and then the games are more expensive too.

10. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Carol Orlowski
      FAIL

GeoHot hacked OtherOS

that's why it was removed.

PS3Hax are creating rumours to try and get him off the hook.

11. adfh

All about timing

I bet this fix for jailbreaking is only coming out now that they've applied the legal screws to Hotz. Prior to them doing the big legal attack, if they'd released the lock you know people'd be all over it and talking about it.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like