back to article Ingenious NetApp buys Engenio

NetApp is buying LSI's Engenio storage business. In other words, NetApp CEO Tom Georgens is buying the business he used to run. Georgens must feel particularly good. With Engenio, he was going to lead the company into independence from LSI, but the deal was pulled, Georgens quit and went to NetApp, reporting to then-CEO Dan …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Yep...about time

This is an exciting development for NETAPP.

After years and years of defending the crappy performance of it's software-based RAID, NetApp finally gets real and buys the best hardware-raid engine on the planet.

Nice to see NetApp finally acknowledge that they need hardware-accelerated RAID to go after markets that care about performance.

I bet we'll now see them scrap WAFL across the entire product line and move all RAID processing onto Engenio, running just the file-system on their heads.

The way it always should have been.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Yeah, real crap

That's why they hold or have held numerous records, while EMC and the likes have to resort to massive, expensive SSD arrays to better them.

You obviously don't use NetApp (or competently, anyway).

2. Anonymous Coward
      Paris Hilton

Bummer

Agree that Netapp needs better arrays. Just a shame to see it be LSI they eat. Engenio line has good performance/reliability/price. I'm sure netapp will change it for the worse. *Fingers crossed* the sale doesn't happen...

2. Diskcrash

LSI Fails and bails

This is a sad admission on the part of LSI management that they didn't have a clue as how to manage the Engenio business and move it forward. As a shareholder of LSI I would wonder why they are selling a $750 million dollar revenue stream for only $480 million well actually I have a pretty good idea that it is because they have hit the peak and expect a dramatic fall off in revenue for the future.

The LSI PR release indicates that LSI will be keeping the OnStor product which they had just transitioned from custom silicon to an Intel appliance but keeping it is probably more that NetApp didn't feel the need for that and less that LSI has any plans (or clue) on what to do with it. The LSI controllers have also been moving to the use of Intel processors so putting NetApp IP on top of them should be relatively straight forward.

In addition to Tom Georgens being a former Engenio boss NetApp recently had started to OEM disk enclosures from LSI so bringing that in house brings them more control and direction plus as mentioned in the article the Engenio controllers out perform the FAS controllers in SAN with block level work.

For the LSI OEM partners it would seem that Oracle is least effected and IBM has recently shifted their focus to their Storwize v7000 product range so while the Engenio products are big part of the IBM portfolio they seem well placed to weather it. For NCR and Terradata they are probably happy enough to continue to OEM from NetApp instead. Dell too can probably drop the MD Powervault line but it is a big seller and has good profit margin so they won't be in a hurry lose it.

All in all it will be interesting to see how the business works itself out but for most of the LSI OEM partners NetApp shouldn't be too difficult to work with assuming that NetApp wants to continue the OEM business line.

3. Nate Amsden

3PA^H^H^HHP uses engenio too

the 3par F class drive enclosures come from engenio as far as I know, unlike the T class which they build in house.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Guess again!

No, wrong - Xiotech.

And having spent years selling the DS4000 and 5000, I have first hand experience of just how troublesome these arrays can be! Endless performance and availability 'quirks' - saw some very odd behaviour over the years and IBM has shipped a lot of XIV and / or other stuff to try and fix DS4/5000 issues that just couldn't be figured out!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Happy

Methinks you meant Xyratex.

You meant Xyratex not Xiotech.

http://www.xyratex.com/products/storage-systems/storage-RS-1600-F4.aspx

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Not quite

Nate - the F class enclosures don't come from Engenio, they come from Xyratex.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like