back to article Samsung teases with trim tablet snap

Samsung has posted a teaser shot for its upcoming 8.9in Galaxy Tab, which for some reason interweb pundits believe proves the tablet will be a skinny affair. All you can really tell from the shot is that the gadget will have an earphones socket and a textured back. You can make anything look thin if you photograph it from the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. BenR
    FAIL

Obvious

Could this belief have come about, mayhap, due to the extremely clear bulge that can be seen in the lines of the thing to accomodate said 3.5mm headphone socket?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

3.5mm you recon

they could be reverting to a 1/4inch jack :-)

2. Anonymous Coward
    Boffin

All you can really tell from the shot is....

The geometry/perspective of the circular hole (viewed as an elipse but truely a circle on a 2d plane) allows you to derrive the angle of the camera to the device, Knowing the size of the circular hole allows you to measure the thickness of the device.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Flame

And knowing photoshop...

And knowing photoshop allows you to derive the annual salary of a Samsung marketdroid...

2. BristolBachelor Gold badge

thickness of edge ≠ thickness of tablet

"Knowing the size of the circular hole allows you to measure the thickness of the device."

And therefore, the Apple Air that I saw a picture of, really is only 3mm thick as can be seen from the USB connector?

3. This post has been deleted by its author

4. Neil 38

False line

There's definitely some more real estate below the bottom-most line if you look hard enough.

5. Tom Kelsall

Thickness

Well, the aperture of the hole is clearly 3.5mm. So the outer diameter will be, what, 5? And there looks to be a 3mm gap between the front edge of the hole and the front surface of the tablet. Which would put the thickness of the device at about 8mm. Possibly 9. Not sure why the writer thinks that this exercise is so impossible or ludicrous.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

can't you just..

measure the number of pixels between the upper most and lower most parts of the port, then assume that number of pixels is 3.5mm on that vertical axis, then measure the number of pixels between the top and bottom of the device, and scale?

I got 5.5mm at the thinnest point, which seems a little thin.

7. GettinSadda
    Boffin

Not 3.5mm

It seems that some Samsung engineer has figured out that the cost of slimming the whole device down to 8-9mm can be easily avoided... by fitting a 6.35mm headphone jack to a thicker tablet and photographing from further away!

1. BristolBachelor Gold badge
      Joke

Added bonus

And as an extra bonus for Apple owners, Samsung will sell them a special cable that goes between the 6¼" socket and the plug on their iPod earphones. It will cost a packet (although less than a displayport cable).

8. ginger_tosser
    Coat

It's a trick photo

the tease is that the Tab features a 6.3mm jack for audio buffs!

Mines the one with the Bose headphones in the pocket....

9. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Another way of looking at it...

The microphone jack is on the face of it, about where the light sensor is on the iPad. The screen (which is really black) is below the jack.

So, it is actually a missive tablet and really really thick...

10. Bassey

Father Ted

This tablet is slim. Those tablets are faaar away.....

11. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge
    Dead Vulture

Prove it El Reg

>>You can make anything look thin if you photograph it from the right angle.

Photos of Ann Widdecombe for evidence please.

...on second thoughts...

*runs away*

12. Old Cynic

could the battery life be the killer here?

78910 seconds is nearly 22 hours and the event is march 22...

Doubtful they can be much better than an ifad for screen/apps/accessories etc... Plenty of other tabs have usb, hdmi etc... but a massively better battery....hmmm.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

screen size

the 78910 refers to the current and future screen sizes the device will have - 7", 8.9", and 10"

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Wish Sony would get a tablet out running android.

All my SONY products with built-in batteries last for ages, and are normally smaller than other manufacturers.

13. Z80
    WTF?

What's my tab life?

Dunno, what's a tab life? Or are you telling me it's 78910?

14. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Oh! No you can't...

... "You can make anything look thin if you photograph it from the right angle."

I can assure you I've met girls who can prove that is an outlandish and utterly false claim!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like