back to article Cute download Firefox, 'treat a cub' vid downed by IE glitch

Mozilla is trying to encourage more people to download the final beta of its soon-to-be-released Firefox 4 browser by streaming various web cams capturing red panda cubs in captivity at Knoxville Zoo in Tennessee. The only trouble being that one of the live feeds from the zoo has "encountered" an unfortunate Internet Explorer …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. John Robson Silver badge
    Badgers

More likely

That the Panda farm is running it?

1. Kelly Fiveash (Written by Reg staff)

Re: More likely

Don't ruin all our fun ;)

2. mrobaer
    Go

I agree

I wonder if this can be somehow spun to show why the Zoo should have been using a superior product in the first place.

3. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

Wooden table not involved?

Wait, what....? They're streaming their webcams by viewing them locally on a monitor using IE and then pointing another webcam at the monitor that's showing the output of the first one?

*Without* printing anything out and photographing it on a wooden table?

Have these scoundrels no respect for tradition?!?

1. Tom 38

@AC

Clearly they should be faxing frame updates. Much more reliable.

4. J. Cook Silver badge
    Go

Heh- I saw this a couple weeks ago....

... and I was amused.

5. Miek
    Linux

Doesn't work properly anyway

I tried it with Chrome and Firefox 3.6.15 and it worked flawlessly for Chrome and wouldn't display any video on Firefox --- FAIL for mozilla

1. Gangsta
      FAIL

Works For me

Firefox 4.0b13pre (b12).

Fail for you sir. :P

2. Tigra 07
      FAIL

RE: Miek

Works for me on FF 3.6.15

6. Ian North
    FAIL

Hmm

Going by that icon, it seems like they're running IE6 as well!

7. squilookle

Product placement

is everywhere these days

8. Tigra 07
    Pint

Cute...but...

Wait until big brother finds out and attempts something similar...

How many disabled, famous and gay fox cubs can you get in a wooden shed being filmed 24-7 for months on E4 anyway?

9. heyrick Silver badge
    Happy

Kawaiiiiiiiiiiiii!

(see title)

10. Paul Stimpson
    Badgers

Sounds like an IP camera

I work with IP cameras from the likes of Axis and Sanyo and most of them use IE ActiveX controls to control the camera and render the video. I'm guessing the cameras in the enclosure are from a manufacturer that works in this way and they've been forced to use IE to get the video into a PC then have re-encoded it for distribution.

11. Jon Massey
    Stop

Axis

I've also worked extensively with Axis and for all the models I've worked with you can get access to the raw H.264 or MJPEG steams without having to fanny around with ActiveX controls and the like. If you were bound to using ActiveX/IE then using Axis with ZoneMinder (or any other non-MS based ip surveillance suite) would be impossible. Luckily, it's not.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like