back to article Boffin demos melon-matching tech

With a firm grip on facial recognition tech already, Japanese boffins have turned their attention to food and developed a tool to identify fruit and veg. NEC's latest tech allows punters to point a camera at a product and get back when and where the item was grown. NEC I recognise those melons This is unachievable without …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Life imitating art ...

I recall a Stob article a while ago - essential iPhone apps, one of which was an app which allowed you to work out the horoscope of the fruit'n'veg in your shopping cart ....

2. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

YA pointlessly-overengineered solution in search of a problem.

Dunno about you, but I find it a lot easier to tell if fruit and veg is fresh by looking at, squeezing and sniffing it, than I would by knowing how long ago it was grown and having to guess what its shelf-life is.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Paris Hilton

You can't always squeeze the fruit

When I was in Japan I noticed that rock-melons are sold for an astronomical price, typical ¥20,000 or £150.00 each! They come individually boxed in presentation boxes. For that price I want to know a fair amount about the melon before I buy it, including when it was grown, where it was grown, who picked it, and which other melons it had slept with.

Squeezing these melons is not an option.

Unfortunately, Japan prohibits the importation of melons, destroying my cunning plan to bring a bag full of melons on my next visit for a handsome profit :-(

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I was expecting some new jub-sizing wizardry

and instead all I get is a load of fruit and vag

4. Gordon Barret
    FAIL

An apple is an apple is an apple

What absolute twaddle - no "app" is going to be able to tell where an apple (or anything else) was grown simply by looking at a photo of it, there are millions (billions ?) of apples produced every year, millions of these grown in thousands of places will look almost identical.

Rubbish.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Who cares how old

Is it clean and fresh smelling or will it leave a bad taste in your mouth?

Yeah, well...i kinda hadda....

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like