back to article Multimillionaire hires ex-NASA 'naut to work on private spaceship

Upstart startup rocket company SpaceX, bossed by renowned geek idol and internet nerdwealth kingpin Elon Musk, has recruited a NASA astronaut to help make the company's spacecraft ready to carry people into space. Dr Garrett Reisman was a NASA astronaut from 1998 until this month, having previously worked in industry as an …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Go

The only downside of SpaceX...

... is that they wont take Bachelor or Masters stuents to work on theses. Seems a shame really - SpaceX get free research done, potentially identify future staff, and encourage students into the space industry, all at no cost.

But apart from that, heres hoping SpaceX keep going from strength to strength... We need more succesful (and well funded) space businesses out there! =)

1. John Smith 19 Gold badge
      Headmaster

AC@13:41

"... is that they wont take Bachelor or Masters stuents to work on theses. "

I presume you mean "students".

Perhaps it's their view that for the missions they are planning *need* no new research to be done to meet their objectives.

While students *can* be a potential source of new employees to be *useful* to a company they need some kind of induction, basic training and management. If you think those are at *no* cost to any *properly* run company you've pretty much failed my management assessment.

If you want a job with them perhaps you should ask them what they *are* looking for? Just a thought.

BTW The definition of a *successful* company in an *open* market is "well funded". Out of interest what is the area you are studying?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Alien

Profit.

"The future of manned spaceflight lies in waiting till it can be done by private enterprise, or through private sponsorship." Martin Rees, Astronomer Royal and President of the Royal Society

As soon as there's a profit to be had in space exploration then the solar system will be over-run by interplanetary white van man.

1. The Indomitable Gall

Martin Rees, you muppet....

Seriously, he should get out of his ivory tower.

Very few sciency things ever become profitable enough for private investors' liking until long after the initial research is done.

"Waiting" is not an option, because then the research that later investors freeload off will never be done...

3. Anonymous Coward
    Dead Vulture

El Reg Standards...

I do believe that Elon Musk is traditionally refered to as "hecamillionaire Elon Musk"

cease with that "multi" malarkey, you'll confuse us!

1. bolccg
      WTF?

Whoever downvoted this post...

needs a sense of humour check!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@Whoever downvoted this post...

lol, yes as OP i completely agree...

2. TeeCee Gold badge
      Happy

Re: El Reg Standards...

Maybe the amount he's been spunking on his luxury fireworks means that it's inaccurate these days?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@TeeCee

Since all of his 'fireworks' have so far, not gone off with a bang, I can only forsee the company value increaseing, on its success, hence making his share of the company more valuable than the investment he has made.. so perhaps its gone the other way..

I'm thinking that perhaps luxury fireworks is inaccurate, but instead Extravagent Cheese Transporters. Maybe we could extend to "hecamillionaire and orbital cheese delivery boy, Elon Musk". or perhaps, "hecamillionaire and Moonraker, Elon Musk". (is that too obscure? moon and cheese?)

vote or post your favourite below.

2. John Smith 19 Gold badge
        Happy

@TeeCee

$200-250 to get 5 launches is *almost* pocket change in US launch industry terms. This got a whole *factory* production line, launch site and the experience of debugging the process to deliver a high probability of a safe launch. The c$250m from NASA gave them the bankroll for the Dragon capsule and draco thruster designs and the hardware to do proximity ops and docking around ISS.

You might like to check the development bills paid by the USAF for the EELV programme to produce Delta IV and Atlas V (designed to *halve* the cost of US govt launches) while supposedly building on launch vehicle designs that have been flying for *decades*. This being aerospace industry speak for "Ditch the propellant combinations, engines and construction methods we used on the original but keep the name."

I'm not sure but basically having developed these vehicles all or partly at USG expense they then turned around and said "BTW we can't sell enough launches on the open world market as we're still too expensive. You'd better pay us more money to keep the production lines open"

I've never dealt with organized crime but I think I can spot a shake down when I hear one.

3. RegGuy
      Thumb Up

Street cred

Wow, to get the label "renowned geek idol and internet nerdwealth kingpin Elon Musk," now that is something to aspire to.

Full credit to this guy -- he's got a non-government funded machine into orbit and offering a useful service. That in itself is quite an accomplishment. Between him and The Bearded One of virginity fame there is a chance of me taking my missus around the back of the moon and giving her one before she's an octogenarian.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like