back to article WikiLeaks movie screen rights secured by DreamWorks

A movie about the WikiLeaks drama looks set to get a sprinkling of stardust from Steven Spielberg, after the ET director reportedly secured the screen rights to a book chronicling the life of the whistleblower site's founder Julian Assange. According to the Guardian, a film will be "conceived as an investigative thriller in …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Code Monkey

Prob best to wait

If the US military does end up murdering Bradley Manning this could be a very different movie.

1. Elmer Phud

Last few frames . . .

. . .will be Manning dying.

We don't give toss about him - he's a septic.

We don't give a toss about Assange - he's an ex-convict.

We are happy to have the data and the others can get fucked.

Freedom of information usually has a very heavy price on it.

1. Ian Michael Gumby
        Boffin

Try this...

There are some things man was not meant to know...

(Fade to black)

C'mon do you really think that the secrecy laws that were put in to place were put there on a whim?

As to Manning dying?

They won't seek the death penalty on him and the burden is on Manning's prosecution to show that he had a 'dirty mind' that he *knew* that Wikileaks would act with recklessness and endanger US and others by supplying information to the enemy.

Manning is a dumb shite who didn't think of the consequences. I do suspect that Assange did in fact have direct communication with Manning and 'seduced' him in to providing the leaked information. And its up to the reader to interpret what I mean by 'seduced'.

1. Code Monkey

"Manning is a dumb shite..."

That's very true.

Unfortunately us.mil seem intent on making an example of this dumb shite. He's already on suicide watch (as reported by El Reg). This seems little more than an attempt to break his spirit than to prevent him topping himself.

I really hope they don't execute this poor bastard but I fear they will.

2. JaitcH
    Stop

I hope that ...

any royalties or other payments accrue to the benefit of Wikileaks rather than individuals - whomever they may be.

1. Ian Michael Gumby
      FAIL

LOL...

Yeah right.

Guess again.

Maybe you should petition the Pope to make Julian a Saint. The odd are better.

1. Scorchio!!

Re: LOL...

"Yeah right.

Guess again.

Maybe you should petition the Pope to make Julian a Saint. The odd are better."

Heh.

If you listened to the Radio 4 'Today Programme' interview by John Humphrys (and I hope that you did, if only for the laughs!), Assange spoke of being in the enviable position where he can be martyred without dying. It's here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/today/hi/today/newsid_9308000/9308216.stm and the transcript is here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/today/hi/today/newsid_9309000/9309320.stm Listen to him avoid the issue, listen to him describe concerns over HIV infection as 'ridiculous', that the women were 'in a tizzy'

So, perhaps Jules will become the first e-Saint. There'll be iPod apps, for Jules is an Apple lover, pay wall worship sites, pirate bay free Jules songs. Yes, I can see it now; steal-classified-information-to-celebrate-the-Sainthood-of-Jules-day:

"Q: You do see yourself as a martyr here.

JA: Well, you know, in a very beneficial position, if you can be martyred without dying. And we've had a little bit of that over the past ten days. And if this case goes on, we will have more. "

Heh.

3. Ian Michael Gumby
    Grenade

Now we know why Julian wants to trademark himself.

Here he is, created all of this fodder for a movie.

He won't get a time because he's not the author of the work, nor did he endear himself to the reporters who wrote the book.

He won't be portrayed in a positive light, at least not as the hero in his own mind.

Reality sucks don't it? :-)

1. Scorchio!!
      Thumb Up

Re: Now we know why Julian wants to trademark himself.

Didn't you know that success is measured cinematographically? If you're not one of the glitterati, not in with tinsel town, then you ain't made it yet. :-)

4. Robot

Best actor to play Julian Assange

My wife and I think that John Cusacks, if he can change his accent a bit, would be a convincing actor to play Julian Assange.

1. Ian Michael Gumby
      Joke

@Robot

Sorry Cusack not thin enough, or pasty enough.

I was thinking Anderson Cooper if he let his hair grow out.

5. Old Handle
    Paris Hilton

Wow

This strikes me as a remarkably bad idea in pretty much every way.

6. Wikileaks-Movie.com

The Wikileaks Movie has so much potential

The various Wikileaks Movie projects underway are very exciting. This story has touched a nerve on so many levels. From the ridiculous to the serious, there are many elements around which to craft an outstanding movie. Let's hope one of the studios does a proper job. If that happens the movie will be well worth the price of admission. Cheers from the Wikileaks-Movie.com team.

7. Fractured Cell

No, no, no, no, NO!

It needs to be directed by Uwe Boll.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like