back to article Sony posts PS3 firmware 2.0

PS3 owners need no longer worry about being separated from their console, because Sony’s latest firmware update - version 2.0 - lets users remotely start their PS3. Dubbed Remote Start, the firmware feature builds on Remote Play – an existing feature allowing gamers to stream content from their PS3 to a PSP – by letting PSPs …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Alex
    Thumb Up

Nice

I actually like the idea of this - one thing that gets me is that the wife turns the PS3 off when going to bed, whilst I'm in a hotel somewhere miles away watching films on the PSP.. Being able to tunr it back on again will help our inter-relationship issues somewhat. So rather than bollocking her over the phone, I can just remind her nicely when I get back not to turn it off "..but it's ok, I can now turn it one remotely.."

Still, shame about not having the updates for BlueRay.. sure there will be another one next month..

2. Adrian Jackson
    Dead Vulture

Blu-ray

Is it really so terrible to be missing out on the new BRD interactivity features? As far as I know there aren't any discs that support them yet, and won't be until early next year.

As for the rest of the features they're fine by me, though you'll see a lot of people complaining about the lack of custom music playlists and messaging in-game - both features that Sony have been promising for quite some time.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Blu-ray

Clearly the medium of the future - it's always got new features arriving 'real soon now'.

4. David
    Heart

upgrade

Why spend time coding stupid features like this (who needs hearts and flowers wallpaper!) and not fix the memory issue with the browser, add support for divx, etc

I also thought release 2 was going to be a big kahuna release - i.e. Home.

5. Alex
    Paris Hilton

@ Adrian

True, I have mentioned before in previous posts that I just want to watch the film, rather than faff around with 'extra' features. So possibly a blessing there are no extra features (@Mike)

One thing though, I've noticed that you can indeed have custom play lists.. There is now an option and I have been able to do so. Not sure if I am reading what you have said correctly, but it does seem to be included. Not sure about messaging in game though as I don't message in game.

6. Iain

Chicken/Egg

With PS3s accounting for 90-something percent of all BluRay players, and no sign of that changing particularly soon, there won't be too much in the way of interactivity features that it won't support on real discs. It's a niche format as it is - for all they like to crow about outselling HD-DVD, both formats together account for around 2% of the numbers regular DVD is shifting in the US, and even lower elesewhere. BluRay versions 1.1 and 2.0 are niches of niches.

David - Home has been put back to spring next year, because they're not yet happy with the closed beta version.

7. Brent Carpenter
    Alert

Network icon

"Gamers now have direct access to the online PlayStation Store and to their account management settings, thanks to the addition of a PlayStation Network icon to the XMB."

Gamers already had direct access to the Store and account settings before this update, the icons were under "Network" rather than their own "Playstation Network" heading.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like