back to article Cash machines get a voice

Swedish bank SEB has introduced 400 talking cashpoints, pitched at customers with sight problems, dyslexia, and other issues. Pressing a button before inserting a cashcard activates the speech synthesis option. Services available with voice synthesis include cash withdrawal, account balance options, and mobile phone top-ups …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Gavin

Announve to the world MUG ME!!!!!!

Image some unsavoury folk hanging around the cash point or even near buy

"Your Current balance is £4456 and 72 pence"

"withdraw cash"

"You have Chose to Withdrawn £300"

"Have a nice day"

Yeah you are now a target for getting the shit kicked out of you cus they now know you are worth the effort.

2. Simon

What's so great about this?!

I live in Japan and they've had talking cash machines here for years. Sadly, only in Japanese. Cash machines are in the future. Some even do retinal scans! They have live webcam feeds to staff if you have problems, built in scanners for sending information to the webcam staff while you're in a call to help sort things out, and you can do anything you can do at a cashier point (pay bills, send money internationally, pay for something you bought off amazon, etc.) as well as coming in air conditioned booths which of course stop people from robbing you, as it's only 1 person at a time in a booth.

Of course being Japan, land of the bizarre, they sometimes close, for reasons unknown, and often charge a fee out of hours (mostly to do with the fact that no-one borrows money in Japan, meaning banks do not make a profit that way).

The machine detects you enterting and says welcome, asks you to insert your card, type in your pin, take your money, don't forget your card etc. so I don't really think it's aimed at people with disabilities per se, but it's something. Perhaps it's enough. The screen is easy enough to read. I don't think using a cash machine if you're completely blind is a wise idea anyway.

3. Pierre

Canada has something similar (I think)

In Canada, several bank machines (at least, all CIBC bank machines I know of) have a headphone jack that a user can plug into, to receive audio options.

(The only difficulty, of course, would be finding the audio jack in the first place.)

4. James Haigh

Erm, not really 'new' is it?

Many UK cashpoints have a headphone jack for those who want to listen to whats happening.

The jack points downwards, and is housed in a protrusion near the slot for your card.

Presumably if you have sight difficulties, but can make out the bright patch that is the screen, you can then figure fairly easily where the card slot and headphone jack are.

5. James Haigh

Photo example of headphone Jack

This picture shows the headphone jack next to the card slot on many UK cashpoints... in case anybody wondered.

http://www.devon-cornwall.police.uk/v3/crime/atm/images/atm.jpg

6. Darryl Smith

Old News

In Australia talking ATM's were introduced about 1988 at the State Bank of NSW. In a country with about the highest literacy level in the world I think they decided in the next few years that the extra expense of adding the voice to the machine was not really worth it.

7. Joe Cooper

Seen it

Several times in the US. Some would just straight-up talk, others have a little headphone socket for a blind person to plug in.

8. Martin

re

"Computer says 'No'".

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like