back to article Auction fraud complaints prop up declining US cybercrime reports

US complaints about internet fraud dropped 10 per cent last year. The Internet Crime Complaint Center (IC3) fielded 303,809 reports of cybercrime in 2010, down from 336,655. The agency – maintained by staff from by the FBI and the National White Collar Crime Center – said the reduced figures were still the second highest in …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hey I know

Lets crack down on Auctions, and screw the economy even more.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I get it you dont like fraud in your auctions.

Still no need to junk my post. You are aware, that regular brick an mortar auctions have the same problem. fraud. So go ahead and junk my post, but remember that day in the future when a bunch of new piddly ass laws crack down on your lively-hood, or destroy your business outright.

Half the mistakes are because of the bidder anyway.

Go ahead Eat the FUD. It's what's for dinner when you have no more income.

2. JaitcH
    WTF?

Think BUDGETS: if numbers weren't rising nor would ...

the money.

Plod is the biggest exploiter of statistics to justify budget increases. Economy in trouble? No sweat, we have a number that will continue to garner larger sums of money.

But it might just be coming to an end in Britain with Cameron's Cuts threatening police budgets. Can anyone explain why the Met, of telephone tap fame, need SEVEN helicopters polluting the skies of London? Most likely used to make sure Metropolitan Police Commissioner Sir Paul Stephenson makes it home in time for dinner.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Black Helicopters

or whatever.

Fulton County, Georgia (Atlanta) announced yesterday that they're grounding their helicopter fleet (don't recall how many, 5-10) due to budget (or lack-there-of).

black helicopters - even though I think the Atlanta ones are dark blue.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

correction

Actually, it's Dekalb county, not Fulton County.

2. Mike007 Bronze badge

really?

I was under the impression that crime rates drop every single year (they are always congratulating themselves for lowering crime).

I was also under the impression that they need a bigger budget because crime is a growing problem that is getting worse every year.

Glad I can trust the government to be honest about important things like that.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

SPF / Sender ID / DKIM ?

Are organisations really that incompetent that they can't even make use of these tools designed years ago to combat spoofing?

It is one thing to have an SPF record containing "~all", which tells mailservers that:

"This message wasn't sent by any of our servers",

and another thing to have one containing "-all", which tells mailservers that:

"This message wasn't sent by any of our servers and we recommend that you reject it"

But neither fbi.gov nor hmrc.gov.uk nor even many of the banks even have SPF/Sender-ID records!

And they wonder why they are spoofed??? How embarrassing.

If they care about their customers and business losses, and are concerned about phishing and spoofing then why can't they protect themselves and their customers which such a simple txt record?

Many mail servers will (or should) reject messages from unauthorised ip addresses and flag invalid DKIM signed messages, but more still needs to be done.

Why can't we educate these organisations to take email policies seriously, audit their email processes and define what machines are authorised to send mail, and authenticate with DKIM.

It is an international scandal. They have the power to prevent their customers from being phished, and it is irresponsible for them not to even try.

4. Alan Brown Silver badge
    Grenade

perhaps one of the reasons:

email@actionfraud.org.uk

SMTP error from remote mail server after end of data:

host mx0.123-reg.co.uk [94.136.40.151]: 550-ATLAS(2503):

Your email was detected as spam. (RCPTs:

550 email@actionfraud.org.uk)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Parse error!

The topic is about *auction* fraud, not actionfraud!

But FWIW, all my submissions to email@actionfraud.org.uk address bounced too, and I have let them know about it, in the hope that someone will take off the spam filters for an address that is supposed to receive spam!

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Crime does pay

That's like roughly 1000 complaints a day. IMO that does not include unreported incidents, which could increase the number by orders of magnitude. Its nice to get all those reports, but how much investigation and prosecution is being done?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

so, did . . .

Did fraud actually drop, or just the _reported_ fraud.

I suspect that a lot of new users are too ignorant and/ or stupid to recognize fraud.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like