back to article Dixons prices up Motorola Xoom for Blighty

Retailer Dixons has priced up the Wi-Fi only Motorola Xoom. The 10.1in Androud 3.0 tablet will sell for £500 when it goes on sale "in the first week of April". Dixons outlets Currys and PC World both show that that timeframe is not yet confirmed. Indeed, both say delivery will take place on or after 9 April. But "if you order …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. forger
    FAIL

Dixons

Only Dixons could grab defeat from the jaws of victory! These companies are not going to beat Apple at near Apple prices. Needs to be much lower.

2. Robert E A Harvey
    FAIL

Well there you are

Keep depending on that golden egg, chaps. Obviously there is more profit in taking a lot off a few idiots than in taking a little off the multitudes.

At 450beer tokens you were at least 150 more than I wanted to pay. Guess how adding another 50 affects that?

3. hexx

sooo

it's more expensive than iPad

1. Robert E A Harvey
      Thumb Down

yeah, title, right. How's that working out, by the way?

that will be the cost of the micro SD card socket.

4. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

like most others...

i'll be waiting a few more months until honeycomb tabs come down to around £300.

5. david 63

Bums

Do I want to pay another 100GBP for an extra 3" of screen - yes

Do I want to wait another month (maybe) - no

My head is going to explode.

6. frank ly

The Modern Way

"... the retailer chirped."

Did they tweet as well? That would be more appropriate.

I'm waiting for a summer crop of Wi-Fi only Android tablets running 3.0 as a minimum; my Android 2.2 phone will act as a little WI-Fi hotspot. After a market shakedown, some serious reviews and some fondling in high street stores, I'll be ready to pick up a bargain on e-bay.

7. Mike Brown

vega?

why would anyone buy this for £500? either go the whole hog and get the damn ipad or go for the much cheaper, and still well eqiuped, advent vega (its not for the faint hearted tho, needs a litle bit of geekery to get it to sparkle)

8. BXL
    FAIL

iPad2 has just been announced

Since it will be out in the UK 25th March, the Xoom will be DOA.

9. Archie The Albatross
    FAIL

I'm not....

prepared to pay this much for an iPad.

Am I likely to pay this much for a me-too-not-quite-an-iPad?

No. Not very likely.

This thing needs to be no more than £300 if Dixons (or indeed anyone) want the volume sales.

Must try harder 4/10

10. Rob Beard
    Thumb Down

Wayyyy to much!

I'd have loved to have got one but it's way too much money.

I'll hang on to my beer tokens and spend them on something else instead.

Rob

11. Blubster
    FAIL

Dixons

Thieving bastards....

12. Mr_Happy
    Happy

Hurry up 9th April

After trying to get excited about an iPad with the same interface as the ipod touch, Can't wait for the Xoom with its full web interface and a decent looking OS

13. JaitcH

The 3G version is being advertised ...

in SaiGon at £490.04 including 10% tax.

14. david 63

Not sure it is Dixons pumping up the price...

...have a look at US prices.

15. Magnus_Pym

Some of us remember

When the IBM PC came out it was bloody expensive. A lot of like-a-pc-but-better-because me to type micro computers came out and they all failed because they weren't IBM compatible and they weren't much cheaper. Compaq succeeded because they were compatible and they were cheaper.

Apple do remember and have learn't well. You can't get iPad compatibles. The only way to compete is to be as good and cheaper (easy to do) or much better and the same price (not easy to do)

16. Dick Emery
    Coat

A titty is required

Your paying extra for the SD card slot and USB connectivity.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like