back to article Portsmouth stretches the Olympic-sized swimming pool

We're delighted to report that Portsmouth City Council's Olympic-sized swimming pool really is long enough to satisfy the demands of top aquatic athletes. Contrary to what we claimed yesterday, the pool at the city's Mountbatten Centre is in fact 50.03m in length, rather than 50.00m, and the critical extra 0.2143 linguine …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. georgeclooneylookalike
    FAIL

Olympics == FAIL!

I want a tax refund!

2. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Facepalm

I'm bewildered at the political finger pointing in cases like this. Partisan politics aside, did anyone expect that the council members were standing at the job site with tape measures in hand during construction of the pool for the purposes of verifying it was 357.3571 linguine in length (as opposed to 357.1423 linguine)?

...Mine's the one with the El Reg units conversion calcuator in the pocket.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

0.2143 linguine

What's with all the fractions? Surely that's two penne?

1. Scott 53
      Joke

Penne

Was that your two penne's worth?

4. Matt Piechota

Hm

So it's olympic-length, just not sized. Simple enough.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Shoorly...

If 3mm is all it takes to fit a timing pad then even if the pool was exactly 50m long you could get the more than 3mm extra just by removing a tile at one end... Maybe someone should think about making timing pads that can be grouted into place?

1. Bonzo the Wonder Dog
      Headmaster

That's

3cm, not 3mm. You'd need to take more than a tile.

Totally on-topic, it'd be great if The Register could produce a poster-sized PDF of El Regian... El Regal??... units of measurement. 'twould be a marvellous educational aid.

6. Tony Reeves 1
    Thumb Up

In Perspective

Great to see El Reg raising major local authority issues which allow me to put our wee earthquake in Christchurch, NZ, into proper perspective.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Grenade

Scarce resources?

<sarcasm>

Absolutely, because space on the Internet is a tremendously scarce research and clearly el Reg had to make a hard decision over which story would fit, especially given the obvious relevance of the Christchurch earthquake to el Reg's coverage, not to mention the fact that the earthquake has been barely mentioned in other news outlets over the past week.

Either that, or you're a self-absorbed whinger who thinks that everything should be about you and the rest of the world should come to a stop while you clean up the mess. You should probably go have a word with those attention-hogging Libyans next: don't they know there was an earthquake in Christchurch, NZ?

</sarcasm>

1. mike_anderson25

Alrighty then.

Sarcasm or not dude, considering what our friends in Christchurch have been dealing with of late, that was probably a tad unnecessary.

1. Sarah Bee (Written by Reg staff)

Re: Alrighty then.

No it wasn't - he was making a point, not being flippant about a tragedy.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

Ok, right length, but......

not able to host any competetion with more than a dozen spectators/supporters

still in a bad location to get to in anything other than a car

etc.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Never mind the width ...

Feel the length.

9. wolfmeister
    Joke

lolz britain

It reminds me of that classic from Sir Les Patterson's "The Travellers Tool"

"I went for one of those foot massages.. I got it out.. she said: 'Thats not a foot!'.. I said: 'It's near enuff love, now get on with it!'

etc

This topic is closed for new posts.