back to article So, what's the best sci-fi film never made?

Note: Nominations are now closed. Thanks for the stampede of sugestions. We're now ploughing through the lot to make the final selection for the poll. Watch this space... We know a lot of you are sci-fi buffs, and have your own personal feelings on what would make the ultimate sci-fi movie. The recent news that Paramount will …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Petrea Mitchell
    Megaphone

Some from the other half

The other half of my household, who isn't signed up for these forums, would like to make these movie suggestions:

Vorpal Blade series by John Ringo and Travis Taylor

Schlock Mercenary by Howard Tayler

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Deep ecological Sci-Fi

The success of Avatar by J. Cameron, shows that there is

a market for Deep Ecological/Traditionalist science fiction.

The novel "Ravage" (Ashes, Ashes) by René Barjavel, published

in 1943 in France about the fall of a technological society and

the return of the survivors to a traditional patriarchal and polygamist

society, where books and steam engines are banned

is a sure crowd pleaser. One simply has to move the setting

to the US and change François Deschamps in a Mormon fundie.

See:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ren%C3%A9_Barjavel

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ravage_%28novel%29

3. Real Ale is Best
    Go

How about Alan Dean Foster?

Any of the Flynx series would make fantastic films. Not really surprising as he's a film script writer...

1. Swarthy
      Thumb Up

Thank Bob!

I was beginning to despair of young Phillip Links ever getting a nod in these hallowed forums.

4. Simon Lyon

The Rat would be great ...

... and hilarious with a droll voiceover a-la Michael Weston in Burn Notice.

Some of the best stuff in the books is his internal musings on bureaucracy, the police, the ultimate good his scams do for society and the taxman.

5. Tim57

A fire upon the deep.

A fire upon the deep, by Vernor Vinge. It would need cgi, but that's possible, and it's in space, also a good sign from a funding pov. The only issue might be utter perfectionism.

6. Bananimal

So many to choose from...

And so many could be awful in the wrong hands.

Vurt - Jeff Noon

Only Forward - Michael Marshall Smith. Spares almost got made by Spielberg with Cruise but instead we got Minority Report

Excession - Ian M Banks

Use of Weapons - Ian M Banks

Anything by Neal Stephenson, particularly Anathem. A huge budget serial of the baroque cycle culminating in a 3 parter of Cryptonomicon would also be nice.

7. Sigfried

Some suggestions

There are many options, and with rare exceptions those already made are pretty awful. The one exception to me is Blade Runner.

Jack Vance has a wealth of short stories and novels that could make great atmospheric movies. The Dying Earth, especially the first three stories, could make an excellent movie or set of movies. I don't think there are many directors one could trust to do it right though. The Durdane trilogy would also work well.

R A Lafferty's "Fourth Mansions", Zelazny's "Lord of Light" and maybe some of the Amber series ?. James Tiptree Jr (Racoona Sheldon) has a number of short stories that might work, often a little off the wall; Simak's "The Goblin Reservation"; Davidson's "Rork" maybe; Certainly Brin's Uplift series, but possibly they're too long for good movies. Of those the original Sundiver, Startide Rising, and Uplift War are (IMHO) the best suited. The later ones are less clear and less self contained. I wonder if Gene Wolfe's Torturer series might make a suitable movie series. Niven's early short stories, "Neutron Star" era.

And of course it would be nice if someone could make a decent version of LOTR that stuck a little closer to the original. Some of the individual stories out of the Silmarillion could also work, such as "The Lay of Lethian".

8. Jonski
    Go

Citizen Of The Galaxy

Robert Heinlein.

9. Dave Edge
    Pint

Alastair Reynolds - Revelation Space

A lot of people have mentioned Richard Morgan and quite deservedly so. Altered Carbon is a fantastic read as are most of the Kovaks novels. Market Forces is also brilliant.

Nobody seems to have mentioned Revelation Space and the sequels (Chasm City etc) by Alastair Reynolds. These would be very cinematic.

Not sure how well the hard-SF would transfer to the big screen though...

1. Vladimir Plouzhnikov

I always thought

That the final battle in the new Battlestar Galactica was based on the assault by "Nostalgia" on the inhibitors device...

10. drfreak

Anything by Larry Niven

Would be Awesome. Ditto for Heinlein. Larry Niven's books were kind of out there in a way that special effects might not have handled so well in the past, but are ripe for exploitation now. Ringworld, A Land out of Time, Neutron Star, etc..

I'd love to see someone do Heinlein's Stranger in a Strange Land or The Man who bought The Moon.

The Stainless Steel Rat series by Harry Harrison would be awesome as a series of movies too...

11. GrouchoCaesar

Well, bowb my buddy and call me Jim... or Warren.

[Emailed as well]

Any of the earlier Stainless Steel Rat series is well overdue for a look.

Norstrilia - or at least The Ballad Of Lost C'Mell - now that CGI athropomorphics are up to the task. (I'd love to see what could be done with The Game Of Rat And Dragon with the right director as well.)

And finally, what about Who Goes There? by Bob Shaw... it would make a great double-bill with The Stainless Steel Rat...

12. Casey Bee

Men, Martians and Machines

by (I think) Frank Russell

13. Adrian Esdaile

Stephen Baxter - Titan

'Titan' could make a great film - it has a very tight premise, and focuses on interplay between characters, notably as the crew all go quite mad in their own separate ways.

You get some fairly scathing critique of where our 'enlightened' modern world is heading with political correctness, the rise of fundamentalism, focus on humanities rather than science (thinking of Paula Benaceraf's creepy housekeeper... ew....) and the loss of our ability to put people into space.

It has three 'acts' - Pre Launch, Voyage and Titan - which fit well into a feature film format. It has a smallish cast - 5 main crew, maybe 10 incidental characters. You could even film it in an old shuttle for added realism!

It might be the most depressing sci-fi ever made though, it doesn't exactly have a happy ending!

14. Daedalus
    Happy

By his bootstraps!

The ultimate vanity project : one actor plays 5 parts - at least!

15. Anonymous Coward
    Alien

Deathstalker ftw!

+1 for Stainless Steel Rat!

+1 for Only Forward (Michael Marshall Smith)

How about the entire "Deathstalker" series by Simon Greener?

16. eldakka

Snow crash!

enough said.

17. Richard 15

Heinlien would be a good start

I'd love to see the moon is a harsh mistress done. Fairly timely too given the theme.

Harry Harrison's Stainless steel rat series.

Retief by Keith Laumer could be excellent source material, though slightly dated in a way.

David Webber's Honor Harrington series as well as the Ring of Fire series.

And there are a lot of great books/stories out there that would sadly not translate well.

18. The Jase

Hmm

Bill, The Galatic Hero.

that is all

19. Richard Jukes

Asimov

My vote goes for Asimov, starting with 'Foundation' then Forward Foundation, then Prelude and then 2nd Foudation etc.

It would have to be a multi billion dollar series and have the bestest greatest actors ever and IT CANNOT BE A LET DOWN! Actually, thinking about it, I'd rather they just didnt bother...

20. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Oh no

The ultimate geek question along with 'do you have a girlfriend?' and 'do you know any jokes in binary?'

21. janimal

My votes

+1 Stainless Steel Rat series

+1 John Wyndham: The Outward Urge

+1 John Wyndham: The Kraken Wakes

+1 Banks Player of games

+50 Richard Morgan's Kovacs series (altered Carbon and sequels)

+100 Neal Asher, preferably all of them, done really, really well

1. BorkedAgain

Oh yes!

+10 for Wyndham's The Kraken Wakes. Especially if filmed in "period" style; not interested in a modernised remake where the sea-tank shell fragments have mechanical insides etc...

22. Ian Tunnacliffe

Stainless Steel Rat

Just agreeing with posters above. Would make a brilliant movie. Not perhaps the greatest novel of ideas ever, but a brilliant basis for a film.

Also agree that much as I would pay money to watch a film of any of the Culture novels I find it hard to imagine any director being able to do them justice.

23. Loki 1

Simmons or Hamilton

The Hyperion books by Dan Simmons would be awesome and would be open for sequels with the Endymion books.

Peter F. Hamilton's Night's Dawn trilogy would be out of this world as long as Holywood could stick to the plot, no overdo the gory bits, but not sanitize it either... just present it as it should be.

Both are awesome Space Opera just screaming for a whole series of movies.

Something in the fantasy line, Elric.... somebody someday is going to make this into a movie, although they will probably start with Stormbringer which would be typically out of sequence.

24. kulibar tree
    Go

Past and Present

Some contributors suggested Harry Harrison's A Transatlantic Tunnel, Hurrah!

There are a several of other terrific alternative history novels: Ward Moore's Bring The Jubilee (the North loses the Civil War); Keith Roberts's Pavane (the Spanish Armada is successful; England returns to the Catholic fold); and PK Dick's The Man in the High Castle, in which the Axis Powers win the Second World War - it's a zillion times better than Robert Harris's feeble rip-off, Fatherland.

And as for future history, you cannot do better than the truly fantastic stories by Cordwainer Smith.

25. Richie 1

Anything by Greg Egan

Terenesia would probably be the most filmable, but I'd love to see a version of Diaspora for sheer epicness.

26. Vladimir Plouzhnikov

Suggestions

Here are my suggestions (as emailed to LH):

"Eon" by Greg Bear

"A Deepness In The Sky" by Vernor Vinge

"A Fire Upon The Deep" by Vernor Vinge

Half-Life 2 - The Movie

"Jupiter" by Ben Bova

Could also add the Destroyermen series by Taylor Anderson...

1. IsJustabloke
      Happy

I refuse to enoble a simple forum post!

Re Half-life 2.. interesting suggestion, I wonder if it counts in this list tho' besides.. the bugs in Starship troopers are clearly ant-lions and Galaxy quest has the pointless stamping/ flaming/ squishing device from Quake :D

I'd vote for any of the Culture novels...

Ringworld yes but not the rather shite sequels....

The Mote in God's eye.. yes but again not the rather shite "Gripping Hand"

Footfall would be perfect ... well pretty much any of the Niven/Pournell stuff

Asimov , yes..

Some of Heinlien....

NO to E.E. 'Doc' Smith

27. Any Cowman Odors

movies

Niven - Ringworld series

Asimov - Foundation series

Harrison - Stainless Steel Rat series

28. Bunker_Monkey
    Alien

Serpo

Turn the last 5mins of CEO3rdK into a proper movie!

Look at Serpo.org for ideas.

29. Nat Pryce

Hinterlands

I'd love to see a movie version of Hinterlands by William Gibson. It's a haunting story, and it could probably be done on quite a small budget.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hinterlands_(short_story)

30. klb
    Stop

Not just blokey stuff please

Sherri Tepper - Sideshow or pretty much anything else.

Maybe something from Nancy Kress too.

31. Blue_Skunk
    Alien

A great series

My vote is for Jack L Chalker's Well World series... it would have a lot of CGI, creatures of all types

32. Anonymous Coward
    Troll

Eon Series - Greg Bear

Got to be the Eon series by Greg Bear

33. finbarre

The Chrysalids

... why this hasn't been made into a decent film is a crime against good taste.

34. Tieger

Larry Niven

any of them, really...

but the ones i think would work best as films:

Legacy of Heorot - think alien, but with science that works, and people that act like people. oh yes, and aliens that are actually a good deal more scary.

Protector - a book that asks the question "what if adult humans were just the 'breeder' form, that should metamorphosise into an armour plated killing machine if only we had the right food?"

35. Tieger

a title

much as i'd like to see Iain M Banks's stuff, and the Revelation Space series, made into a more accesible medium, i dont think it'd really work - too much about them wouldnt come across properly in a film.

36. Adam 67

The Forever War, By Haldeman.

I've only read three pages but surely it should be up their!??!?!

It's bloody marvelous!!!!

Here's hoping this is a repost.

37. shoelace
    Thumb Up

Donaldson - The Gap Series

As posted by others would probably make a pretty decent series of movies (if not completely borked by writers and directors)

What about "The I Inside" by Alan Dean Foster...?

38. jon 72
    Boffin

So much to choose

Harry Harrison

Deathworld series -

Stainless Steel Rat series - 'robbing banks is good for the economy' speech

Timothy Zahn - COBRA series; very do-able

when you think about it Spine Leopards have already been seen in the movie 'Chronicles of Riddick and hollywood is well versed in superhuman strength.

Timothy Zahn - Blackcollar series : surprised the sci-fi channel has not done this allready.

The mighty Tharg over at 2000AD has some gems as well:

Skizz

Rogue Trooper

Ballad of Halo Jones

Slaine (perhaps? strictly its fantasy)

War Toy (future shocks short story)

39. Little Poppet
    Heart

ACC

'

The City and the Stars - Arthur C Clarke

Amazing sense of wonder and epic-ness... Though the transition from Earth to exploring Space would be disjointed on a filmic level. I understand it's purpose to establish that humanity has receded to the few remnants left on Earth - but not quite sure how this could be achieved if translated literally on film.

Childhood's End - Arthur C Clarke

Another one of his best. Again epic, but also quite revelationary and tinged with sadness. The transition through time would need to be handled consistently for this to work on film.

:)

40. Graham Bartlett

Iain M Banks - please no

I guess it's just me that doesn't get on with his stuff, then. I struggled through "Consider Phlebas" and thought that if everyone was raving about him, maybe that was just an off day. Then I started "Feersum Enjin" and realised it wasn't. That was about 10 years ago. Maybe it's time for a revisit, but honestly I doubt I'll change my mind.

On the pulp front, has anyone checked out those Warhammer 40,000 tie-ins by Dan Abnett? As an ex-WH40Ker, I picked up the Eisenhorn trilogy for some brain-resting reading during a flight, and was pleasantly surprised to find someone doing a decent job of it. (For non-WH40Kers, humanity stays afloat only by living in a totalitarian empire of semi-barbarian worlds, protected by an god-emperor who requires regular large-scale human sacrifice; all of which creates certain inevitable tensions for good people smart enough to see what's going on.)

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.