back to article I QUIT: Mozilla's anti-gay-marriage Brendan Eich leaps out of door

Brendan Eich has stepped down as CEO of Firefox-maker Mozilla Corporation – after it emerged he controversially backed a ballot measure that outlawed same-sex marriage in California. In a blog post on Thursday, Mozilla cofounder and executive chairwoman Mitchell Baker wrote that Eich's decision was voluntary and that he made …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. nijam Silver badge

And will they also stop using Javascript?

1. southpacificpom
      Go

Perhaps if enough people let them know as I have just done.

http://www.okcupid.com/feedback

2. AlanG

Being against gay marriage does not equate to being anti-gay

Most of the posters who were trying to push him out made this assumption, but it is rubbish.

I am not anti-gay, but I object to the butchering of the language in the name of "equality". I support the rights of gay people to fair treatment in terms of employment, tax, etc, and I would like to see civil partnership have full parity with marriage in its consequences.

I do not support the right of gay people to call themselves married, any more than I support their right to call themselves heterosexual.

It is possible that Mr Eich is a bigot, but his support for this organisation is not enough to prove it.

1. Stevie

Re: Being against gay marriage does not equate to being anti-gay

Er...it kinda does though, if you think about it.

"Equal, but not as equal as some".

I say let the churches (ie the ecumenical leaders of the religions) make the determination for themselves nd let the law worry about serious stuff that actually matters.

The only reason the church got involved in the first place was as a revenue stream. I was staggered to find out what Roman Catholic churches dun the prospective couple for in New York in this day and age. Serious dosh. Usurious amounts. My advice? Go Lutheran or Episcopalian and save mucho bucks (and cut the ceremony down by an hour too). 8o)

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

just a thought...

Surely Marriage is a religious institution, grounded in the faith of your choice, and entered into with the understanding and acceptance of the rules and tenets of belief that followers of that faith hold sacred?

A civil partnership is the state's way of providing a universally acceptible, equally financially, socially and legally binding civil contract, just without the requirement to leap through all the hoops associated with the religious doctrine

This gives the option to get hitched regardless if you are e.g. a pork eating Jew, an alcoholic Muslim or a homosexual Christian (to name but a few contrived examples...) thus lowering the potential moral/social dissonance

The average secular power is often relatively easily swayed by public opinion - I understand most religions are somewhat more set in their ways, and very often look askance at certain behaviours, social mores and beliefs and see them as taboo for their adherents

Are we now in danger of ditching homophobia for religious intolerance by the back door?

1. NomNomNom

Re: just a thought...

"Surely Marriage is a religious institution, grounded in the faith of your choice"

Then as my religion I choose to believe gays can marry.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

OK Cupid are hypocrites

They still use Javascript.

5. BigPicture

I embrace people that do not share my views.

Everyone has an equal opportunity to become unequal to someone or some organization. If you don’t like your boss talk with him/her. If you don’t share their views quit if it is a major issue to you. We all make choices. We all change in some way over time. My views have changed over the years. Mainly because I’m open minded and I’m willing to listen to all points of view. Should someone quit their job over something 10 years ago? From what I understand he wasn’t a new hire. We can live and work together and share different views. Maybe working in such an organization would help him over time understand how important equality is. Mozilla is the perfect place for him. I’m sure of one thing. He will be careful who he give his money to in the future.

I have friends and business customers that are far left and far right. Doesn’t mean I’m going to banish them if I don’t share their view. I use it as an opportunity to bring people together. A major problem is when the far right or left only talk to like minded people. We need to mix left and right as much as we can. In the end the world would be a better place. I embrace people that do not share my views.

Pushing people away only makes issues worse.

1. MACDONALDBANK

Re: I embrace people that do not share my views.

Then you would have really liked Hitler and Ben Laden ...?

1. Intractable Potsherd

Re: I embrace people that do not share my views @MACDONALDBANK

Since none of us ever met either person, it is impossible to say. It might be that both were actually really nice people to be with, with lots of good stories and a sense of humour.

I'm very much of the opinion that there are no evil people, just evil acts committed by people that are just the same as you and me (any act can be seen as evil from a certain perspective - just look at the comments by some people about others who keep cats ...)

2. Vladimir Plouzhnikov

Re: I embrace people that do not share my views.

"and Ben Laden ..."

Aha! So Osama was Jewish! I can tell a Masonic conspiracy when I see one!

6. jmk89

RE: Being against gay marriage does not equate to being anti-gay

Exactly.

It seems as though the gay community want to be able to get married to get access to the same benefits/tax breaks etc as heterosexual couples.

The issue I have with that is that those benefits are designed and geared towards making it easier to start a family, which is something that gay couples can't do because of er...science. Then there is a whole separate argument about the impact on children growing up with no male/female role model in the household, and then going out into a world filled with both men/women and having only experience with one gender.

So the gay community are essentially demanding something which wasn't designed for them. I am fully aware that heterosexual couples who don't have kids can do this too, but that's more of a bug in the system.

I'm not religious and don't object to homosexuality in any way, but gay people getting married is like deaf people buying iPods.

I guess my point is that there is a legitimate debate to be had about gay marriage which has nothing to do with homosexuality, which any reasonable person would agree is completely fine.

The gay community try to side-step this debate by portraying anybody who tries to start it as bigoted/homophobic etc, and persecuting them until they shut up.

1. Intractable Potsherd

Re: RE: Being against gay marriage does not equate to being anti-gay

Science has actually made it possible for homosexual couples to have children. I'm not sure what the situation is in the USA, but over here in the UK it is not uncommon for homosexual couples to have children via IVF and donor gametes (and uteri if the couple are males). Alternatively, many homosexual couples choose to adopt and/or foster children, thus creating a "family" (a term for which there is no actual definition).*

* Though that does remember of a time I was scribing for a student in an exam. The question was "Define 'family'" The answer she gave, quite seriously (I had to write it down) was "a mother, a father, two children and a dog". I'm not sure how legible my writing was, since I had one hand stuffed in my mouth trying not to laugh!

7. MACDONALDBANK

It is written; so therefore it shall be? We are the chosen people; such a wicked fantasy.

8. MACDONALDBANK

The Bible & Torah should be banned!

Here are several really loving excerpts from the Torah; the first five books of the Old Testament in the bible -- perhaps read to the congregation on Friday night at a synagogue or a Sunday morning church in the meadow.

1. Kill any friends or family that worship a god that is different than your own. Deuteronomy 13:6-10

2. Kill all the inhabitants of any city where you find people that worship differently than you. Deuteronomy 13:12-16

3. Kill everyone who has religious views that are different than your own. Deuteronomy 17:2-7.

Rabbinical / Priestly rules:

Leviticus 21:17-18 … “No one who is blind or lame or has a defect or any blemish may approach to offer the bread of his God.”

Leviticus 18:22 … “You are not to go to bed with a man as with a woman; it is an abomination ….”

Rabbis; the pope and churches fully aware that Leviticus 18:22 applies to rabbis and priests … refuse to remove this stigma maliciously persecuting gays. Kids are being bullied into suicide …!

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@ Nomnomnom

For what it's worth, I'm sure "Omnomnom-ism" is a fine, upstanding and inclusive religion

What I was endeavouring to suggest, however, was that a good many other religious institutions aren't so inclusive and some even define themselves by what they allow or expect their adherents to do or ways in which they are expected to behave

You or I may not agree with them, but as such we are not forced by secular legistlation to think/behave accordingly

What we appear to have here is a small group using secular pressure to pick and choose which bits of any given established religion they wish to adopt without the inconvenient bits that say they should think/behave accordingly, rather than, as I suspect you have sensibly done, creating a religion of their own that fits what they want and believe in, and doesn't fly in the face of the majority of other adherents who are not like-minded

10. mraak

Is calling a bigot a bigot, being a bigot?

Surely shareholders wouldn't appreciate product boycotts and talent exodus.

1. AceRimmer
      Facepalm

Re: Is calling a bigot a bigot, being a bigot?

Luckily Mozilla is a NPO

11. Jeff 30

A very sad day for Mozilla, the web, and Javascript

We are not really talking about "the CEO of Mozilla" in my opinion, we are talking about the most brilliant person, whom invented Javascript, and because there was nobody else "capable and willing" to take the CEO position, he assumed it..

Brendan has done more to help this world than most will ever know. He has some personal opinions that don't fit perfectly with his corporation's PR releases. So what?

Mark my words, this is a very sad day for the future of Mozilla, the web and Javascript as a language.

And it's a very big mistake to cave to this pressure, and I doubt he was the person that caved.

My sincerest appologies, "they do not know what they do".

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

picked the wrong mafia to mess with

shoulda just been against free speech and privacy, two actual constitutional amendments. then he'd have been ignored by the manufactured outrage.

make up some "new" right to sell politicians who actively curtail the first 5 or so amendments, and everything's golden.

Nevermind that your "new" right disappears at the next politicians' whims and you can't do squat since you sold every right that would have allowed effective redress.

13. Sam Liddicott

oxymoron

many prop 8 fans are against gay marriage solely because if it is gay then it isn't marriage

it's nothing about rights but about controlling language because then you control talking and thought. it is not evolution of language but engineering of language

i'm not against legal recognition of gay unions with the same rights as marriage.

but I am against being made to call it marriage

can I work for Mozilla or am i a bigot?

1. southpacificpom

Re: oxymoron

Would you want to work for Mozilla now?

14. This post has been deleted by its author

15. Stevie
    Trollface

Bah!

" or try to stop me gaining any remaining equal rights to heterosexuals "

Wait, there are homosexuals posting to this thread? On whose authority?

16. southpacificpom
    Flame

Activists are never happy

Look at this piece of work,

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/frame_game/2014/04/brendan_eich_quits_mozilla_let_s_purge_all_the_antigay_donors_to_prop_8.html

Wow, they are not happy with one head. They now want the lot and no doubt will still be unhappy.

Perhaps Slate should fire the writer of this article but of course he's got journalistic freedom, albeit with a gay activist slant that's as subtle as a nuclear bomb. I guess if the activists start pissing off these named companies then I would bet those companies might lobby to overturn some of the overturned anti-gay marriage rulings in the US.

Be careful what u wish for...

1. Sceptics 'R Us

Re: Activists are never happy

I think you might be doing the author a disservice?

If you read some of his other articles on Slate, he seems to actually support diversity of opinions, to an extent, indeed, that would probably make him quite unpopular with some parts of the gay activist lobby, and in the article you refer to, he seems to be pointing out some of the inanities inherent in the apparent witch hunting that is underpinning the current fracas.

His last sentence is the key, but like most reasoned articles, the already converted will have soaked up what they wanted to see and hear, and the rest will have vanished into ill disciplined minds' commonplace mental vacuum that is tl;dr

Having said that, some of the accompanying comments illustrate his point nicely, being well worthy of anyone who might in another time and place have aspired to employment by the Checka and its successor, the GPU. At least most of them had the excuse of being uneducated and illiterate

1. southpacificpom

Re: Activists are never happy

"I think you might be doing the author a disservice?"

Why?

Did he have to make a list of contributing companies even more public?

Even though he stated those lists showed individual contributions from company employees he lumped them together in the tables to show the companies with total contributions against it. Why not list the individuals so it was easier to see the "bigots"?

Perhaps it would have been good to see those that contributed to the anti prop8 campaign too - its called balanced journalism. Although give him credit he did post a link to the info but for the purposes of fairness he should have included that data in the main body of his article.

Correct, the last sentence is the key but it's styled more as a "shit or get off the pot" call to arms. While his points pose questions for both sides, his portrayal is very much one sided. A bit too much "shock jock" journalism as I saw it but, we all see things differently.

If we are get rid of these "bigots" then lets do the fair thing and get those that contributed to both sides fired.

17. Herby

Seven pages (and counting)

This sure did stir up a hornets nest. One way or another people DO have opinions and will express them.

cf. "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

1. southpacificpom

Re: Seven pages (and counting)

It's great to debate freely no matter what side you take. We can do this because millions of people (hetrosexual and homosexual) gave their own lives during two world wars to fight for what they believed was right.

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Tough.

This tweet kills fascists (sic).

http://www.wired.com/tag/brendan-eich/

Eich and his gay lover Orson Scott Card card weep together.

19. rm -rf *.*
    Facepalm

buh bye Ffx?

http://www.poetryfoundation.org/poem/175772

http://uncrunched.com/2014/03/28/this-is-intolerance/

http://uncrunched.com/2014/04/03/gun-toting-mozilla-employees-demand-ceo-step-down/

I'm pretty hard-pressed to continue to support Mozilla right now as I really think that all this was unnecessary.

I don't think or know if Eich tried to force his beliefs on anyone at Mozilla. If he had, then fire him. But 2008 was years ago. His support of that cause had/has nothing to do with his ability to work, code or contribute to the world. His support of that cause was actually the prevailing view of the majority at *that time*.

Lest we forget, without Netscape and/or Firefox, the Internet as we know it today wouldn't even exist. We'd all be running IE3. No innovation. No Web 2.0. Don't recall anyone taking his views to task when he created javascript.

It's not right imo to hound him on his views just because they differ from a select few or the apparent majority *today*.

What will tomorrow bring?

*shudders*

20. MatsSvensson

=(

Many of the comments here makes me sad, and a bit embarrassed to be part of humanity.

You better hope your future kids wont find out what kind of person you used to be.

21. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Mozilla is in the wrong on this one.

It is pretty clear that they drove him out and that he would not go back if they begged him. That is a shame, because now I am going to have to be on the lookout for another browser.

22. Nuno trancoso

That someone got (subtly) forced out of his job/position not for his competence or lack of, but because of what beliefs he espouses is beyond the pale...

What amazes me is that the same lobby crying intolerance and throwing stones at the man are themselves (by logic reasoning) intolerant, since they can't accept the fact that he doesn't share their view. Tolerance goes both ways not just one.

Guess it's time for the devs to say fork it (bad pun) and head off to some new place more concerned about their products than what some lobby thinks of them.

Mozilla, a place where everyone's views are welcome, unless your views are different than ours (or some lobby, or some flavour of the week PC'ness, or anything not related to web browsers).

23. Bruce Ordway

Message for Mozilla users acessing OkCupid?

From the BBC - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-26868536

Mozilla users acessing OkCupid....

"Hello there, Mozilla Firefox user. Pardon this interruption of your OkCupid experience.

"Mozilla's new CEO, Brendan Eich, is an opponent of equal rights for gay couples. We would therefore prefer that our users not use Mozilla software to access OkCupid."

If this is true...?

What do you think of Brendan now?

1. southpacificpom
      Facepalm

Re: Message for Mozilla users acessing OkCupid?

I think no more or less of him actually.

But, it appears you have been asleep for the last several days...

24. Krohon

I see people as peers, not identical to me but close enough. I believe we can, we must, have have our opinions, and I believe we can, me must, disagree with everyone else. But there is a "red line" we shall never cross, we cannot bully other people.

25. southpacificpom
    Mushroom

Two sides to every story

It appears the gay activists have been pawns in a game of Internet chess,

http://uncrunched.com/2014/04/06/the-hypocrisy-of-sam-yagan-okcupid/

Sam Yagan (okcupid) seems not to be on the gay side after all. Apparently he seems also to have made a donation in 2007-2008 Obama campaign when Obama was in anti-gay marriage mode.

http://pjmedia.com/tatler/2014/04/04/surprise-okcupids-board-includes-at-least-two-democrat-donors/

Also, why does Mozilla do business in Israel when that country is anti-gay?

26. This post has been deleted by its author

27. Thoughtcrim

Democratic rights and freedom of association

I realise I'm coming to this party very late, but I feel the need to add my thoughts.

The word bigot has been thrown around a bit too lightly on this thread. It suggests that people who do not support gay marriage are driven by thoughtless intolerance. I think it's more accurate to see this as a clash of cultures, each of which has a different intellectual heritage. Indeed, if you are someone who is truly tolerant, you will recognise the strengths and weaknesses of both the pro- and anti- arguments.

There is a line of thought that it's OK for Eich to hold an opinion, but not to act on it. I must disagree. Eich's actions were entirely legal and democratic. Eich pledged some money to a cause which was being openly and democratically debated. That cause was eventually defeated. That seems to me to be free speech and democracy in action.

It's only because of such free speech that LGBT people have won various freedoms and rights in recent years. If in the 1950s a CEO had argued for gay rights, would it have been acceptable for traditionalists to have that CEO ousted? Anyone who supports the ousting of Eich is effectively arguing against the right of minorities to engage in democratic debate. Is that really what anyone wants?

I agree that people have the right to judge Eich in any way they wish, and have the right to boycott companies for any reason. However, his ousting strikes me as being needlessly vindictive. The pro gay marriage lobby won. Why not just celebrate that and move on? Why this need to persecute and punish those who have a different view?

Ultimately though I don't think this is a question about Mozilla's relationship with its customers, but instead about the relationship between Mozilla and its employees (in this case, Eich). Employees should have a right to a private life. If an employee complies with their company's policies when at work, then anything that they do in their personal life should be irrelevant: any beliefs they hold, any opinions they express, any actions they take. Otherwise, there is a creeping totalitarianism at play, where employees must never express any opinion which contradicts (now or in the future) their employer's position.

Mozilla should have responded to these criticisms by issuing a short statement that the CEO's private opinions are his own concern.

I think there is a broader question about the extent to which companies are getting involved in social and political issues which may put them at odds with their own employees. Perhaps they should just focus on delivering great products and services and leave the politics at the door?

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like