back to article Only 1 in 5 Americans believe in pure evolution – and that's an upswing

According to a new poll by YouGov, the number of Americans who believe in evolution not directed by God is rising, but those pure evolutionists still only account for one in five of those surveyed. Specifically, YouGov asked its "representative sample of 1,000 Americans" how they felt about three versions of human evolution …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Tom 7

Re: Even Science doesn't support the widely held views of evolution

The tree of life is correct. It doesn't discount hybridisation - a tree's branches can cross and merge.

You could probably get a fence in some US states.

1. Zot
    Happy

When they ask about 'God'...

Which God are they talking about?

I love the way the question presumes that everybody knows what 'God' it's referring to!

There's so much religious propaganda out there that it creeps into everyday life, for Christ's sake!

1. Red Bren
      Coat

Re: When they ask about 'God'...

"Which God are they talking about?"

I'm a catholic atheist. I know exactly which god I don't believe in...

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Logic has nothing to do with it

Someone on Slashdot made a nice point. Another guy was arguing for belief in the Christian God, and this fellow replied to the effect that, "You and I are both atheists - we both disbelieve in thousands of gods. I just disbelieve in one more than you do".

1. Charles 9

Re: Logic has nothing to do with it

I'm surprised the religious man didn't immediately reply, "But atheism means believing in NO GODS AT ALL: thus the "a" (none). I may disbelieve millions of gods but I DO believe in ONE, making me a MONOtheist."

3. David Paul Morgan
    Mushroom

What are the British Equivalent figures ...?

... and

"Was God looking the other way when the asteroid/meteorite destroyed the intelligent dinosaur civilisation" therefore leaving the mammals to inherit the earth?

(explosion, representing the asteroid impact)

4. Mr Lion

I think "pure" here is a bit misleading...

It's totally possible to be religious and recognise the reality of evolution - any person who believes in god couldn't not believe that god wasn't involved in evolution...

The study is interesting but the "pure" evolution believers should include those who think it's god and those who don't. It is certainly possible to believe that there are other agencies to natural selection than simple random chance mutations...

5. Martin 63

Darwinian evolution

Observing it means we can tweak it. Just an observation :)

6. Jim 59

Devil in the detail

The multiple choice wording is obviously poor and the given answers overlap. As a result it is unlikely to get truthful results from anyone. Atheists are seeming precluded altogether, as are agnostics. For those of any faith it will all depend on what the questioner means by "guided".

I therefore find it hard to believe in this "Yougov". There is little evidence of "intelligent design" in this survey, and the thought of one all-powerful Yougov guiding us all is just too far fetched, and if it does exist, Yougov is surely a pisspoor watchmaker and -

7. Potemkine Silver badge
    Trollface

US uneducational system

I do better understand now why there is such a need of foreigners in the US for any work which requires a IQ above 80...

8. SirDigalot
    Coat

I love this country!

It is studies like this that remind me why I moved here.

No matter how I try I will never be the lowest or least intelligent of the general population.

To think many of these people have degrees, they actually ( spent a lot of money, theirs the banks or their parents) and went to college, some even advanced degrees, they make up our government, they are in positions of power, they shape the everyday life of the pleb.

yay!

The people are generally very nice, just avoid topics in general conversation that can cause conflict: politics, religion, guns, sex, homosexuality (unless girl on girl pr0n, in some places), the weather (inc. Climate change) Science, wars (2 world and 2 local wars - yes some here in the south still think the civil war is still going... they never surrendered! and 4 police actions).

You can talk a bit about cars (as long as they are American, none of the 'your o peon' crap ) and generally grunt at each other and buy a drink.

ok I jest they are not THAT bad, but I have to confess I do not speak to that many people any more, probably would have ended up the same why in Blighty.

at least there is proper bacon in Britain, and tea..

>>>>>>>> The coat with well used nostalgic tissues in the pocket, and rose coloured glasses

9. Identity
    FAIL

Representative sample?

I hardly think that number qualifies.

10. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Of course not!

Because creationism says you came from unspecified substance if you are a man or from a rib if you are a woman (for my own curiosity, do women look like ribs to you?). So no, you don't look like a tree, rather you look like a... erm... a.... well, you look different.

2. codejunky Silver badge
      Devil

@Nom

"Of course evolution says we all came from the tree of life, but I look at a tree and look at a person and see no similarity whatsoever!"

Your barking up the wrong tree

11. Moosh
    Meh

Please note that all of these options were loaded, and even the optimistic among you should tone it down.

Notice that the "purely scientific" view still includes god. "Not directly guided" does not mean "not guided". I'd wager if they put an option that said "God had absolutely nothing to do with the creation of or the evolution of the human race or any other creature", there would be far, far less people toting that as their view.

This is why I dislike Cameron, because he seems to be trying to breed this level of relgiousness back into Britain.

12. Russ Tarbox
    Joke

YouGov

Ultimate trolls.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

PT Barnum would understand

You can fool some of the people all of the time!

I wonder if the polls from EU and Asia show the same gullibility?

14. A K Stiles
    Unhappy

It's during these sorts of conversations... <kids spoiler alert!>

That I feel inclined to mention Santa Claus. How many of us were told as small kids that Santa would bring us presents if we were good (enough)? How many of us still believe in a 'current' Santa (not the historical philanthropist chap), and there was evidence (presents) that he'd been to visit, even at the time we stopped believing. Even at the age of thirty-mumble I sometimes still get evidence of him, even if he has handwriting like a girl (very similar to my mother as a comparison sample).

And yet people who were willing to stop believing in the magic-present-man are still utterly convinced that there is/are m/(deity)*/ interested in and mystically guiding their individual lives.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What I want to know is ..

What I want to know is what does Jesus do with all those foreskins?

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Re: What I want to know is ..

Gasket seals for the interwebs plumbing.

16. Laie Techie

Intelligent Design in School

Wording on questions greatly influences the replies given.

Should Creationism and / or Intelligent Design be taught in school?

I am a conservative Christian (though I disagree with the Tea Party Republicans!) whose father is a well-known biologist. I personally believe that evolution is a tool God used in the Creation. I don't read Genesis as 7 literal 24-hour days.

I don't believe that Intelligent Design or Creationism should be taught as Science, but may be appropriate for Social Science. Science demands empirical evidence and reproducibility. Religion is too subjective. State-run schools should not promote one set of religious beliefs above another. If I had to learn about Ku, Lono, and the other Hawaiian deities in Social Studies, why not the Christian God, Buddha, or the Lady worshiped by Wiccans?

17. Matthew 17

Looks like that in addition to the remake of Cosmos

We should have a remake of 'the ascent of man' too!

1. Florida1920

Re: Looks like that in addition to the remake of Cosmos

Darwin's book was "The Descent of Man, and Selection in Relation to Sex"

1. Sorry that handle is already taken. Silver badge

Re: Looks like that in addition to the remake of Cosmos

Meanwhile The Ascent of Man is a BBC/Time-Life TV documentary series that was first broadcast in the '70s.

18. Florida1920
    Terminator

It has nothing to do with science per se

According to the 37%, if evolution were true, life would be meaningless; there would be no point to our existence. Being created by the superdeity makes us special, with all the perks set out in Genesis. They can't believe in evolution, no matter how strong the evidence, without accepting that they don't mean kaka, life has no meaning save what we bring to it, and when it's over it's over. They really need to believe some cloud cares about them as individuals, and is intimately involved in every aspect of their lives.

Trying to use scientific evidence when debating them is a losing proposition, because that's not where their consciousnesses are located. They're working from an emotional concept, and they're hard to overcome. I know, I've tried. When you tell them they aren't special due to being created and cared for by Lovin' Jesus, you're killing them, and they often react accordingly.

19. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not really a surprise result...

for a survey carried out in a virtual theocracy.

20. El_Fev

After reading this thread, I can state with certainty that when its comes to bad manners and name calling the belivers in evolution have won that in spades. You lot make me ashamed! if evolution leads to the likes of you , then its failed

21. J.G.Harston Silver badge

I may not believe in tables, doesn't change the fact of their existence.

22. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
    Coat

Nehemiah Scudder...

...for President!!!

Yes, thanks, the long white flowing robe with the gold rope belt.

23. Chris G

Representative??

Out of a population of 314 million they asked a thousand people, where were they? How were they selected? what demographics applied?

The survey is laughable especially when you think on this forum alone there are comments from what amounts statistically to almost a quarter of the original survey subjects.

Anyway , the question is moot; I created the entire universe 5 minutes before you read this!

1. Flashy Red
      Mushroom

Re: Representative??

And were all but 200 of them Republicans?

24. Anonymous Coward
    Headmaster

I won't comment...

... I'll instead let evidence speak for it's self (and the references of said evidence etc): http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3251835/

I'll mention no conclusions to draw from that paper. Basically, knowledge help us understand the world around us. I hope the comments in that scientific paper, one written by a scientist in the field of evolution, give people the knowledge they need.

Thanks.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Facepalm

Re: I won't comment...

PS, sorry for the typos there. Seen them, wish there was an "edit" button. :(

25. Daveho

Why is there so much anger in this thread? Seemingly, every reference to someone that doesn't hold the philosophy of Darwinism is referred to in a derogatory manner. Its unfortunate and I hope its not telling of its proponents as a whole. Maybe we all can do something to change it by setting an example.

You know, I like what writer J Michael Straczynski recently said (paraphrasing) "..be generous with your kindness, generous with your words, and be generous with your gestures..". So, be kind and try to understand the other person's view and represent it fairly even if you are critical of it.

Good day to all..

Daveho!

1. Rampant Spaniel

Not every comment. If anything the reverse is often true. However, against all odds, this has been a very civilised discusion. Especially for el reg.

2. Ed_UK

"Why is there so much anger in this thread?"

Why? Perhaps it's because non-Americans see something very bad happening in a rich, powerful and influential country. Inculcating children with fairy tales and passing them off as The Truth, so that many will grow up to be believers and possibly educators of the next generation. It's a nasty self-perpetuating cycle.

Perhaps people are angry because they care about this abuse of intelligence and the long-term effects on the population.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@Ed_UK

"Why? Perhaps it's because non-Americans see something very bad happening in a rich, powerful and influential country. Inculcating children with fairy tales and passing them off as The Truth, so that many will grow up to be believers and possibly educators of the next generation. It's a nasty self-perpetuating cycle.

Perhaps people are angry because they care about this abuse of intelligence and the long-term effects on the population."

And saw its effect on the middle east :)

26. Herby

Religion solves many problems...

The ignorant like to wrap their arms around it.

It might explain the Second Law of Thermodynamics

It might explain DNA mutations (good and bad).

When the second coming happens it WILL be interesting. Sorry, but I can't wait, so science will have to do.

27. Marshalltown

Being an American

I'm saddened to say that even though this appears to be an improvement, until the majority of that "1 in 5" can actually explain the idea coherently, the improvement is a snare and a delusion. The sad truth is that even most American biology teachers are unable to point to the natural phenomenon that Darwin and Wallace singled out as the mechanism that leads to speciation. They are also generally astonished to hear that Darwin almost never used the "term" evolution, and didn't name his theory with the word, but then they have generally never read Origin of Species either.

28. Jtom

There are more things in our heaven and earth than are dreamt of in our philosophies

I am not particularly religious and I have a strong background in science (masters, physics and astronomy) Mutations and evolutionary changes quite obviously take place, but something else is going on, too. What, I cannot say.

Most of you are probably familiar with what a keystone arch is. Neither side of the arch can stand on its own until the top keystone is in place, but that stone must be placed last. Until then, the sides must be externally supported by braces.

There are too many organic processes that resemble that analysis, from the human immune system to the life cycle of tapeworms. In the human immune system, a multitude of mutations would be required, in the correct sequence, none of which would provide any benefit to the organism until the complete system was developed. Random mutations like that would be like individual stones in an avalanche landing to form a keystone arch (please don't enlighten me with the fact that there are natural arches - they are usually formed from a single stone and none are keystone arches).

As I said, I am not particularly religious, but the theory of evolution does not come close to explaining how things came to be. Something else is going on. There is much left to discover.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: There are more things in our heaven and earth than are dreamt of in our philosophies

@Jtom:

"I am not particularly religious and I have a strong background in science (masters, physics and astronomy) Mutations and evolutionary changes quite obviously take place, but something else is going on, too. What, I cannot say."

I love science too. So much fun and so amazing. What is most amazing is that every question answered brings more questions. You say something else is going on too, but that is a pointless question as it means nothing. Something is always going on and science is looking for the answers. Religion gives answers based on make believe. If you follow science then you look for the truth and fact which is then accepted world wide although it will likely be tested worldwide too. If you follow religion it depends on what stories the people around you believe.

"In the human immune system, a multitude of mutations would be required, in the correct sequence, none of which would provide any benefit to the organism until the complete system was developed."

I do hate the term 'in the correct sequence' as it forgets there is more than one way to skin a cat. What is the right answer? If you mistakenly think this is the 'right' answer (e.g. the immune system) then you are wrong. You are wrong because you are human. Not only human but the current evolution of man. You could just as easily been a dog, fish, single cell or even just some non sentient construct of particles. Or not even that.

You see the world the way you do because this is the way the world turned out. Yet through the various possibilities this is but one possibility. Our current state is the state we ended up in, it is not the only possibility.

"Random mutations like that would be like individual stones in an avalanche landing to form a keystone arch (please don't enlighten me with the fact that there are natural arches - they are usually formed from a single stone and none are keystone arches)."

What is the probability of it happening? Probably extremely small. So break it down. What needs to happen? Stone of the right sizes/shapes (many possible sizes and shapes could do it). Then they need one of many slopes to cause the fall correctly (complex and many possibilities to do this). The problem with an avalanche is the construction would likely be destroyed by the following debris but a temporary construction is more likely. And how big is the universe and what is the availability of these conditions? Add to that an unknown but large span of time for these things to happen. Compare that to the huge number of one in a million events which happen every day (one in a billion etc) and you find that possibility opens up. More time and more resources eventually leads to the very small and almost but not quite impossible probability.

"As I said, I am not particularly religious, but the theory of evolution does not come close to explaining how things came to be. Something else is going on. There is much left to discover."

Remove all of that line but the last part. There is much to discover. There is a huge universe to be measured in ways we cannot yet think of to understand processes we are currently ignorant of or unable to comprehend. Dont fall for the trap of the easy answer. Dont assume the religion just as you dont assume we know it all. Look for the truth, look for the facts.

1. Vladimir Plouzhnikov

Re: There are more things in our heaven and earth than are dreamt of in our philosophies

"You see the world the way you do because this is the way the world turned out. Yet through the various possibilities this is but one possibility. Our current state is the state we ended up in, it is not the only possibility."

I would however say that given the particular combination of basic constants and fundamental laws in this Universe, the number of such possibilities is significantly restricted.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

@Vladimir Plouzhnikov

"I would however say that given the particular combination of basic constants and fundamental laws in this Universe, the number of such possibilities is significantly restricted."

Maybe but I wouldnt want to limit myself to that. For example there is this talk of the goldilocks crap with the position of the earth to the sun and all other such requirements. But they are only required for us. We already know of simpler lifeforms that live in the most deadly inhospitable environments. A harsher world would have stopped our current forms or maybe even stopped life on this planet completely. But the possibilities we see are based on our experience of this tiny little spec of almost nothing. How many gaps on the periodic table? Properties that may exist or may be creatable if we figure out how.

1. Alien8n
            Alien

The Goldilocks Zone is more to do with "Intelligent Life" though. Given a planet with a similar gravity, atmosphere and temperature and a star producing the right light for the creation of photosynthesis it's a good bet that intelligent life could form on another planet given that it's almost happened on Earth.

For all other forms of life, it's open season. I have high hopes of creatures living in the seas of Europa.

Never know, give it a few more million years and humanity may evolve into an intelligent species ready to take it's place with it's Galactic Lizard Overlords.

29. Maharg
    Pirate

Atheists are ignorant

I personally am one of those ‘retards’ that believes a higher being created us, and I find your childish insults quite hurtful, and your lack of faith disturbing, I think if you were to spend some time reading the good book you will find his holiness, the Flying Spaghetti Monster is nothing to be laughed at. I for one look forward to the day when I am able to join him in heaven (The giant Beer volcano with the stripper factory) while you all rot in hell (the giant hot and flat Beer factory with the stripper factory full of STD’s)

May his Noodleness shine forever more.

Ramen.

Pirate flag, to go with my cultural dress.

30. Ramazan

Many of the animals believed him. Their lives now, they reasoned, were hungry and laborious;

31. cortland

Situation Normal

We also think women who've been raped can't get pregnant, and doing the same thing over and over will eventually have a different result.

However, sanity seems to be on the increase. Let's just keep at it, shall we?

Hmm.

1. Charles 9

Re: Situation Normal

"and doing the same thing over and over will eventually have a different result."

When people do the same thing over and over and EXPECT a different result, we call it INSANITY.

BUT

When people do the same thing over and over and ACTUALLY GET a different result, we call it PERSISTENCE.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like