back to article Health pros: Alcohol is EVIL – raise its price, ban its ads

A broad coalition of UK health organizations has released a report detailing the evils of demon rum (and whisky, vodka, brandy, gin, lager, ale, wine, et al.), and calling for a series of government actions to suppress its use, including sharply increased pricing and a ban on alcohol advertising and sponsorships. "In …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Hahahahahahahahahaha

Nope I don't, said figures do exist I just can't be arsed to go find them.

As you'll see from so many posts before mine we have a particular problem in Britain with 'yoofs' getting tanked up and causing vast amounts of damage across large parts of Britain. The costings include all of that damage, as well as the cost f having numerous A&E departments in our health service filled with tanked up young hardmen, and their victims every Friday and Saturday night.

1. nichomach

The Kings Fund estimated the additional cost of smoking related conditions at about £1.5bn per annum, last time they published any research. *Duty alone* on tobacco was raking in over £8bn and VAT was charged on the total price including duty, so that added maybe another couple of billion or so (although that VAT might have been charged on whatever else the smoker might have bought instead of tobacco). The £8bn is utterly tobacco dependent, however.

1. John P
      Pint

I was accused of just being a bitter smoker when they brought in the smoking ban and I said that alcohol would be next. Now I can take the moral low ground and paraphrase what my social-drinking non-smoking friends said at the time.

"I don't drink therefore it's not my problem if they're making it harder for you to indulge your dirty habit."

"unhealthy" foods will be next, the meaning of unhealthy will of course be defined by an over-funded self-serving Quango.

Nanny state, please can I have some more?

Pint - Soon available only from behind the counter in unbranded bottles featuring pictures of diseased livers.

1. Gray Ham Bronze badge

No RBT in the UK?

From the recommendations of the report:

"22. The legal limit for blood alcohol concentrati on for

drivers should be reduced to 50mg/100ml.

23. Random breath-testi ng of drivers should be

introduced.

24. Graduated driver licensing should be introduced,

restricti ng the circumstances in which young and

novice drivers can drive."

Does this mean UK *doesn't* currently have RBT, 0.05 and P-Plate restrictions? They have been in place here for a considerable time and have some lasting effect on alcohol-related road trauma.

2. Winkypop Silver badge
    Stop

Stop it!

Or you'll go blind (drunk)

3. manyspendidgeek
    Pint

So if I drink carb-loaded beer it'll be cheaper than drinking far healthier (in my particular case) wine or spirits? Lovely...

4. Piro Silver badge

Doesn't really matter

I tend to buy decent beer so I drink less of it anyway, it already costs far more than these proposals.

But a minimum price surely sends loads of money straight into the hands of the supermarkets. Sounds like a poor idea. How about they raise taxes on booze in supermarkets and use it to directly subsidise booze in pubs!

1. magrathea

Re: Doesn't really matter

"How about they raise taxes on booze in supermarkets and use it to directly subsidise booze in pubs!"

Instead of wealth redistributiion to micromanage and shape the entire alcohol economy, why not repeal the smoking ban to again allow pubs to provide the services demanded by their clients?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Wow!

236 comments and counting.

I see the esteemed readership know where their priorities lie!

6. teebie

"The simplest way to reduce demand for alcohol, is to put the price up"

I'm pretty sure that's the simplest way to reduce the demand for food, clothing and shelter for alcoholics and their family.

7. That Steve Guy
    Pint

First smoking now drinking.

Well if this goes how it went with Smoking, I guess a ban will be the next step a few years after this gets forced down our throats.

Will there be any enjoyments left for the common man after this?

A pint because well I could do with one!

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Can't target those with a problem, lets hit everyone!!

"suppress its use, including sharply increased pricing and a ban on alcohol advertising and sponsorships.

In developing this strategy, we considered the best available evidence about appropriate policies and interventions that are needed both to reduce drinking levels in individuals and reduce the damage to families and communities that alcohol can cause"

So because other useless pikey tw*ts inablility to behave like an adult, everyone has to suffer these ridiculous restrictions?

Typical English response! Why are the 'glish so useless at everything? Over 1/2 of them need to be tw*tted.

Maybe if their parents raised them correclty, I wouldn't be surounded by idiots.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

They did the same with Cigarettes

Up the price, more smuggling and "Romanian" made counterfeits that do more harm than the original....

Fine line to walk, but at least the "per unit" price will make tennants super and special brew only available to the drug dealers and pimps, not the cemetary step brigade

10. Dan Paul
    Devil

Global Assaults on Personal Freedom Continues, News at 11:00

What does it take to get you people to realize that there is no difference between one assault on the ability to do what you want with legally owned property or another assault? These are the same things being done for the same reasons.

Alcohol doesn't kill people, your inability to know when to stop drinking does. Ownership of alcohol does not kill anyone, it's misuse does. Advertising alcohol does not kill anyone, believing what advertisers say might kill you (depending on how stupid you are).

Nanny politicians will take every advantage they can to increase their power.

It is up to you to stop them now because if you don't, you can expect to be so suffocated by the government imposed "swaddling clothes" that you will never again be allowed to think or do for yourselves.

This is exactly what "THEY" want, a herd of cows that can be led by the nose and milked of everything you have; just so you can support a class of scum sucking politicians in the lifestyle THEY wish to be accustomed to.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like