back to article Ubuntu? Fedora? Mint? Debian? We'll find you the right Linux to swallow

Linux, it is said, is all about choice. Indeed, the ability to choose, well, pretty much everything, is probably the best thing about Linux. But the huge variety from which you can choose - ranging from distro and desktop to window manager - can also be overwhelming for newcomers. If you've ever thought about abandoning Windows …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Silver badge

Re: Raspberry Pi @Nick Pettefar

Don't get me wrong. I'm System V through-and-through, but you have to regrettably admit that it's pretty dead now.

OK, Solaris and AIX are still mainly System V versions of UNIX, but I can't see IBM doing an R-Pi port of AIX any time soon, and I think that the license for OpenSolaris would prohibit a port.

In case you hadn't noticed, UnixWare (the last linear descendent of the Bell/AT&T code) of pretty much died with SCO, and any chance for a reversion to Novell died when it got subsumed into Attachmate. That pretty much killed any chance of a new System V variant.

And there's an interesting point. I wonder who you would approach if you wanted to become a new System V source licensee? The OpenGroup?

Silver badge

Re: Raspberry Pi @Nick Pettefar

Peter: It's fairly easy to make Slackware look & act SysV-ish.

I suspect the actual old Bell/AT&T code would be extremely difficult to bring up to modern standards (even if you could pry it out of the cold, clammy hands of the lawyers) ... i mean, how long has it been since anyone did any dev work on it?

Devil

Soon as Linux can play Windows games without fuss, then I will happily switch. Not a good enough reason? I can't imagine I'm alone in the casual PC userbase.

Anonymous Coward

@Kaltern

Check out steam for linux. According to their early tests it ran L4D faster than windows!

Angel

Re: @Kaltern

True, but I'd probably like to play more than the very few Linux games out there.

Of course, I'm not suggesting that there is a magical solution to this, it's just a shame that things like Wine are just not up to the task of playing modern games.

Naturally it's all M$' fault anyway for using DirectX to control the market.

Facepalm

Did I get a downvote for mentioning Micro$oft?

Anonymous Coward

It ran something that was optimised for Linux faster than the same non optimised code on Windows.

Using standard OpenGL benchmarks that are the same on both platforms, Windows is significantly faster.

Linux

For existing Window users I've found picking the applications before a distro works well. Move them to cross platform apps on Windows for all their major uses, and once everything they use has a Linux version, the change from Windows to Linux is a minor thing to handle.

Personally I've been through a few distros, my most recent ones were Ubuntu, when that decided to make the gui hard work I went to Mint, which still wasn't quite what I wanted. So now I run Sabayon with XFCE and have been happy enough not to change for a couple of years.

As far as the command line complaints, it's a LOT easier to talk someone through doing something when you are just dealing with text. It's simple to make sure the commands they enter are correct and to get accurate feedback on any errors that occur. Trying to talk a novice computer user through a GUI process is often near impossible without the aid of pictures and even then you end up with the occasional clown who has their own ideas about what clicking in a particular box means.

Bronze badge

What's the cross-platform version of CivV, Battlefield3, ...

Wow! I'll just stick with Windows...

After reading this article, 90% of which I didn't understand, I'll just stick with Windows!

Why is it that Linux people have to use abbreviations for everything? What the heck is a "distro"? Ubunto... sounds like something out of Africa!? Fedora is some sort of hat, no?

No thanks... but an interesting read...

Anonymous Coward

Re: Wow! I'll just stick with Windows...

You forgot Windoze.....

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums