back to article Assange granted asylum by Ecuador after US refused to rule out charges

Wikileaker Julian Assange has been granted political asylum by Ecuador. The Australian geeklord, who is sheltering in the South American country’s London embassy, was granted asylum out of concern he’d face persecution in the West, Ecuador’s foreign minister Ricardo Patino said this afternoon. Assange™ faces extradition to …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Amazon Wageslave
      FAIL

Re: Consistency and morality.

An Act of Parliament (Diplomatic and Consular Premises Act 1987) was passed after the Yvonne Fletcher murder. That is the difference. If the same thing were to happen today, the Met would happily go door-kicking.

But don't let the facts get in the way of a good session of mouth-foaming.

1. Fred Flintstone Gold badge

Just read this from a former diplomat

Charles Crawford is a former diplomat, and he has just blogged his own views on some of the questions you have been asking.

See http://www.charlescrawford.biz/blog/diplomatic-bags-assange-

Having gone through a full cheery diplomatic career without having read the Vienna Convention, I thought that I would see if J Assange might be popp'd in an Ecuadoran Diplomatic Bag and removed from the UK that way.

In other words, can he be 'smuggled' out in broad sight or secretly, the Ecuadoreans claiming that their diplomatic bags are immune from search?

Sorry. No.

Here is some handy guidance from (of all people) HM Customs and Revenue sharing with us a Note from FCO Protocol Directorate:

Missions are further reminded that in deciding whether particular articles may be carried in a diplomatic bag they are required to observe the requirements not only of Article 27.4 (“only diplomatic documents or articles intended for official use”) but also of Article 41.1 (“laws and regulations of the receiving state”).

It is particularly stressed in this context that the regulations governing the import and possession of firearms in the UK are among those which must be observed, regardless of any claim that any firearms may be intended for official use.

In other words, if a man-shaped diplomatic bag is seen emerging from the Ecuadorean Embassy and we prod it with a pitchfork to confirm that it contains only diplomatic items, a squeak of 'Ouch!" would give us all the legal options we need to ask the Ecuador Embassy politely to undo it and show us what or who is therein.

QED.

2. Fred Flintstone Gold badge

Can we now bet on the outcome?

I mean, let's turn this into something that is at least mildly entertaining..

1. Scorchio!!
      Thumb Up

Re: Can we now bet on the outcome?

"I mean, let's turn this into something that is at least mildly entertaining.."

A couple of years ago some of us laid in the popcorn. I've run out now, but am caring for a sick relative, and this is quite entertaining. Very entertaining.

3. 1 Million Dollars

Gingerbread man...

So lets 'wildly' assume there is a victim. That maybe women aren't just CIA sex traps. I feel for the victim. Around the world, women are subjected to rape, abuse without the protection of the law. Cultural practises demoting women to second - class, rightless citizens.

Sweden being very much more progress in such matters. Offers the protection of the law. Now all you students of freedom and what - not, know that one of the tenants of freedom is the protection of people's rights; you know protection of liberty enshrined in law. That everyone is accountable to the law; governments, people etc.

But not Mr. Assange, he's the gingerbread man. He skips the country... With his important and well heeled friends, he just jumps on the next plane. Wearing his shield of truth, and wrapped in the flag of freedom. He's such a hero, why he doesn't even need to go for an interview. Victim? What victim ? Her voice, unimportant. My mission is so important. Goverments are evil grr.... It doesn't matter how many people I step on to bring them down.

1. Local Group
      Unhappy

Re: Gingerbread man...

Now 'wildly' assume there are no victims only two women who just happened to 'volunteer' to help him. Both of whom who made sure they met him after the meeting and both of whom who took him to their beds. Then both these volunteers'' claimed "Swedish" rape (that's when the condom is either too lose or too tight but not just right). They went to the police together -- the first one 3 days after she got boffed. Then these two lovely 'volunteers' cried havoc and let slip the dogs of war.

Say, I have a bridge for sale. It's 1 million dollars. You interested?

1. Chad H.

Re: Gingerbread man...

Given a UK magistrate has ruled that the sex without an effective condom, and sex with the sleeping girl would be considered rape in this country too, I guess Swedish Rape is English Rape.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It's just a matter of time

Assange has a checkered past that has finally caught up to him. Now he will face trial or mysteriously be found dead. Either way is fine by me as he's unscrupulous but not above the law.

1. Local Group
      Stop

Re: It's just a matter of (the whips and scorns of) time

Now he will face trial or mysteriously be found dead"

"Mysteriously found dead?"

"That sounds medieval. Something out of an old melodrama," to quote Eve Harrington.

And you, so outraged by Assange not facing up to allegations of rape, are the picture of insouciance when it comes to some UK or US agent slipping Bolognium into his Lapsang souchong.

When educated, intellectual commentors like you have a harsh set of standards for the heinous behavior of those you detest and milder, gentler standards for the same or worse heinous behavior of the government of the country you live in and its allies, then surely pigs will soon be seen flying over Westminster Abbey and the end the World will just be a matter of time.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

A bit like David Kelly.

Come to think of it, maybe Hague will decide it's best to just snipe Assange through the window, sort of a reverse Yvonne Fletcher. And of course, it wasn't us, we don't do that in our civilised country - but we're not going to try too hard to find the sniper.

2. Scorchio!!

"Now he will face trial or mysteriously be found dead"

"That sounds medieval. Something out of an old melodrama," to quote Eve Harrington."

Probably he wouldn't be found for a decade or two. Unless of course he mysteriously develops a virulent strain of HIV, or Ebola. (Wait, eBola, or was that iBOLA?) To borrow a line from the Godfather; "Oh, Julie, won't see him no more".

The Russians would have done the job irrespective of sensitivities, in full public glare they'd have poured the polonium into Julie's ears. This is what happens when most of the state duma are former KGB and FSB placemen, including the prez.

1. Local Group
          Happy

Scorchio Isn't this more like Verdi's "Don Carlos" than Coppola's "Godfather"? You remember Frederich's Schiller's play, "Don Carlos, Infant von Spanien"

You've got the US of A as Phillip II. You've got Prince Julien as the trouble making Infant, Carlos. You've got Elizabeth of Valois and Princess Eboli(!) played by the two Swedish Innocents. You've got an auto-de-fe in the third act (how yummy is that?)

You can be the Grand Inquisitor and in the last act, I'll be the voice of Charles V.

Very dramatic: "Carlos, calling on God, draws his sword to defend himself against the Inquisitor's guards, when suddenly, the Monk emerges from the tomb of Charles V. He grabs Carlos by the shoulder, and loudly proclaims that the turbulence of the world persists even in the Church; we cannot rest except in Heaven. Philip and the Inquisitor recognize the Monk's voice as that of the King's father, former-Emperor Carlo V ("Carlo Quinto") himself. Everyone screams in shock and terror, and the Monk/former-Emperor drags Carlos forcibly into the tomb and closes the entrance. The curtain falls." (summary by Wikipedia)

If you know Hague, you can suggest an auto-de-fe in Trafalgar Square when the UK finally gets Assange.

And tell Hague to burn down the Ecuadorian Embassy and stop pussy footing around. Jeez.

1. Scorchio!!

"Scorchio Isn't this more like Verdi's "Don Carlos" than Coppola's "Godfather"? You remember Frederich's Schiller's play, "Don Carlos, Infant von Spanien""

I usually don't pay much attention to your meandering BS. When I'm certain the content is meaningless drivel I disregard it, as I have in this case.

Perhaps you'd have more luck if you sought one of the more eccentric Usenet news conspiracy groups you'd have more fun, and you don't even have to know how to set up a News client because Google will fix you up with an account, and the signing up process is easy.

HTH. HAVND.

1. Local Group

Re: "When I'm certain the content is meaningless drivel"

There's not a subject that you don't know more about than anyone else, and drivel tops your list. Not because you recognize it in others, but because it goes unrecognized in yourself.

I enjoy pulling your chain and have every intention of sticking around as long as you dangle it with that je ne sais quoi of yours.. (You can always re-handle yourself and stop using the 'fail' icon, but that wouldn't fool anyone.)

Having said that, I still like you a lot and, as Rick says at the end of the movie, "Louie, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship."

1. Scorchio!!
                FAIL

Re: "When I'm certain the content is meaningless drivel"

"There's not a subject that you don't know more about than anyone else"

Thank you for the compliment. It is the case that a lot of hard living, hard studying and hard working have contributed to the state to which you refer. I have a lot of letters after my name, and I earned them every one. Thus, when I hear the sound of jealousy emanating from a poster whose witterings make me consider the possibility that it is an acid casualty, or perhaps a doper, I am completely unperturbed and am, if anything, amused.

The celluloid reference has I regret to say gone over my head, and I am not going to search it out. I'm fairly choosy you see.

Do HAVND, and go easy on the chemicals. Tara for now, and enjoy the fail icon.

1. Local Group
                  Go

Re: "Swedish Meatballs a la Scorchio. Makes two balls. Flush down toilet before serving."

Now that we understand each other, I'll try to explain why Assange was absolutely correct to skip to England and then into the Ecuadorian embassy after all his appeals were exhausted there. "He should have gone back to Sweden," you said. I don't think so. And I doubt you'd have done it, had your positions been transposed.

Why? When you discover the cards are stacked against you, you always run. It's as simple as that. You don't run or stay for anybody else. Not for your wife and children. You run for yourself. You run to show the world what the people who are chasing you are like and how they're handling people interfering with them.

You fire a warning flare as high into the sky as you can to light up this fact for as long as possible. "The Red Coats are coming. The Red Coats are coming." Or words to that affect. Ironically, the 18th century Americans who heard those words begot the 21st century Americans who are now the monsters themselves.

Nietzsche: "Thus do I counsel you, my friends: distrust all in whom the impulse to punish is powerful!"

The Israelis, the American's, the Chinese. All peas from the same pod.

Admit it, Scorchio, you have no more knowledge than I do about the Swedish sexual scenes that Assange participated in.

You don't know how long their bout lasted, you don't know what positions they struck, whether it was just genital or, if there was oral and anal sex, and if there were oral and anal sex, when during the act it occured.

More to the point, Scorchio, you have no idea whether or not a condom was used. YOU HAVE NO IDEA IF SHE ASKED HIM TO USE ONE.

Scorchio's Swedish Meatballs

They're not the kind you eat, but the kind that eat you. They gnaw on your bone and lick your platter clean, then they go down to the police station and whine and moan how some cheap Australian condom ended up in her hair. One of the Meatballs, as part of the sting operation claims her pj's were clearly marked "Do not enter when sleeping or unconscious".

The statement that Meatball One waited a couple of days to go to the police after comparing notes with Meatball Two probably would have acquitted Assange. Had she gone or even called the police hours after it happened, there would be no Meatball Two.

Then there would be only one accuser in the court room.

There would be no phoney pattern of condom abuse.

It would simply be his word against hers and not his word against both of theirs.

Assange's Swedish lawyer did not want to see his client corruptly charged and wrongly convicted by a malevolent government and told him to get the fuck out of Sweden.

Would you rather be jailed in a foreign country where they spoke a different language, never knowing what to expect, what your jailers had up their sleeve or would you take asylum in a friendly, foreign embassy; yes, confined, but obviously not in as depressing a situation as being penned up.

1. Scorchio!!
                    Angel

Re: "Swedish Meatballs a la Scorchio. Makes two balls. Flush down toilet before serving."

You are an excitable child today, aren't you?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/wikileaks/9487686/Julian-Assange-threatens-to-make-the-EU-look-good.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVDCe0Y0Tq4

Your verbosity is most amusing, as is your weak attempt to mount an ad hominem assault, although I didn't read beyond the first sentence; seeing you had dedicated a subject line to my nick, followed by a leap into garrulous reality challenged frothing about the prophet, Assange, I knew that I'd be wasting my time reading your attempts to turn a convict into a saint, almost channelling the Jesus water into wine party trick.

That'll be all for now. Meanwhile do continue with your foaming session, craft more attention grabbing headlines, and foam, foam, foam. I'll order up some diazemuls and clopixol acuphase if you wish little boi.

1. Local Group
                      Happy

Aw-shucks, Scorch, thanks for taking time out of your schedule to reply

I know you're busy getting ready to go back to school. I forget. What is it now, Upper Sixth? You can see the golden domes of Oxbridge from there. I'm crossing my fingers for you.

Did your mum take you to Abercrombie and Fitch for your back to school stuff? Don't be wearing the naughty stuff to class; save it for the girls. Your teachers will want you to come over for sherry (hic) and show you some old soccer moves. Save the moves for the playing fields. Keep a kondom in your wallet at all times. Better make it two in case you meet the Swedish Bobbsey twins.

DON'T BE DIPPING YOUR WICK IN A HONEY TRAP (it can be very expensive. google Assange, Julian, if you don't believe me)

Thanks for the link. Here's one for you.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/aug/21/human-rights-critics-russia-ecuador

Toodles.

1. Scorchio!!
                        FAIL

Re: Aw-shucks, Scorch, thanks for taking time out of your schedule to reply

"DON'T BE DIPPING YOUR WICK IN A HONEY TRAP (it can be very expensive. google Assange, Julian, if you don't believe me)"

Oh dear, more immature schoolboy insults. Why not read this ( http://news.bbc.co.uk/today/hi/today/newsid_9309000/9309320.stm ) if you believe that Julian was caught with his fingers in a honey pot:

__________________________________________________________________________________

Q: This is now public. So I'm asking you the question. Did you have sex with those women?

JA: It's a matter of public record as far as the courts are concerned but I am not going to be exposing other people's private lives or my own more than is absolutely necessary. That is not what a gentleman does, that why I have also never criticised these women. We don't know precisely what pressures they have been under, exactly. There are powerful interests that have incentives to promote these smears. That doesn't mean that they got in there in the very beginning and fabricated them.

Q: So you're not suggesting that this was a honey-trap? That you were somehow set up by the Americans, by the CIA? You don't buy into that idea because your lawyer's suggested that that's the case.

JA: He says that he was misquoted. I have never said that this is a honey-trap.

Q: You don't believe it?

JA: I have never said that this is not a honey-trap. I'm not accusing anyone until I have proof.

Q: Do you believe it is possible?

JA: That's not how I operate as a journalist because almost everything is possible. I talk about what is probable.

Q: All right, what do you think is probable here?

JA: What is probable? It is less probable that there was that type of involvement at the very beginning. That kind of classic Russian-Moscow thing. That is not probable.

__________________________________________________________________________________

So there we are; St Julie appears to have backed off the honey pot theory, though not his camp followers.

As to the upper case, the insults and what have you; I've been online for about 20 years and I've seen quite a lot of exchanges like this; I've seen modetorial interventions, people being booted, and I've seen escalations into law. You'll be carrying on without me when it comes to childish insults. You may not realise how silly it makes you look, and how much it damages the points you wish to put forward, not that Assange's case has any substance, or he'd address the matter of alleged rape rather than claim he's in the embassy to avoid US extradition and (gasp) capital punishment.

HTH.

1. Local Group
                          FAIL

"We will write down your words and use them against you in court."

If the object of your post was to demonstrate either Assange's or his Swedish lawyer's fumbling, I'm afraid you failed. Assange neither admits or denies the important stuff. The courtroom stuff.

Assange never tells us his state of mind. His lawyer is the one who puts "honey trap' into the record. "Q.You don't buy into that idea because your lawyer's suggested that that's the case."

"JA: He says that he was misquoted. I have never said that this is a honey-trap."

This interview gives nothing away except John Humphrys' partisanship.

Assange says "I have never said this is a honey-trap" and a few minutes later "I have never said this is not a honey-trap." Assange is saving his testimony for the courtroom, not for the prosecution lawyers learn in advance. Let them come to London. There's a time to ignore procedure. And there's no difference between giving a statement in Stockholm and giving one in Knightsbridge.

But there's a difference between answering questions asked by John Humphrys of the BBC and giving a statement to the Stockholm police, which would be part of the trial record.

Sweden wants to interview Assange in Stockholm because he will be more intimidated there. More frightened. More apt to give a convicting answer. Didn't you know that?

If and when Assange eventually stands trial in Stockholm, his lawyer, like Rumpole of the Bailey, will have dug up whatever evidence about the two women, and the Swedish prosecutors. he could find since December 2010. Did you expect he was going to tell you what he's found?

So why don't they go to Sweden with it now? Because it's evident a trap has been set and not yet sprung.

Assange: "Most of what we know is, in fact, from the newspapers because somehow the Swedish prosecution has been, deliberately and illegally, selectively taking bits of its material and giving them to newspapers". And why would the Swedish prosecution do that?

Is something rotten in Sweden, too.

1. Scorchio!!
                            FAIL

Re: "We will write down your words and use them against you in court."

"If the object of your post was to demonstrate either Assange's or his Swedish lawyer's fumbling, I'm afraid you failed."

It wasn't and you know it. You raised the question of a honey pot, and now you have devoted hundreds of words to denying it. You are typical of Julie's followers, FoS.

HAND.

1. Local Group
                              FAIL

Re: "We will write down your words and use them against you in court."

If the burden of proof in a rape case in Sweden is 'beyond a reasonable doubt:

The first complainant.

The first complainant sought JA out at a lecture with her friend, the second complainant. She invited him back to her apartment for consensual sex. After a kerfuffle about broken and missing condoms, the complainant permitted him to stay overnight with her and did not ask him to leave her apartment or her bed.. Neither did she inform him as they lay naked together in the complainant's bed, that he was only entitled to one bite of the apple, so to speak.

The accused.

The accused is a famous whistle blower, which is why the first and second complainant volunteered to 'work' for him. He was on the run in Sweden because he published 250,000 cables embarrassing the US government. The complainants sought him out for sex and then said he raped them.

Assange's lawyer.

He knows that his client will prevail in the court room. But he has advised Assange not to return to Sweden (i.e. leave the Ecuadorian Embassy) without guarantees. From the US, the UK, and a speedy trial in Sweden.

The trial in Stockholm is a slam dunk for Assange. It's the Mossad-like machinations before or after it that have us Julie-followers in a tizzy.

As for the honey pot, I only pointed out that Julie said "I have never said this is a honey-trap" and a few minutes later "I have never said this is not a honey-trap." The interviewer asked: "Q.You don't buy into that idea (honey pot) because your lawyer's suggested that that's the case." Assange replies, "He says that he was misquoted."

What a lawyer says outside the courtroom is as meaningless as your acronyms. His paralegals are still running down tips about the complainants behavior before they were complainants. You should have studied criminal law and not patent law, if you studied law at all.

3. Scorchio!!
        FAIL

"And you, so outraged by Assange not facing up to allegations of rape, are the picture of insouciance when it comes to some UK or US agent slipping Bolognium into his Lapsang souchong."

And you, so outraged by them, are happy with the probably dead (at the hands of the Taliban) Afghan informants ( http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/afghanistan/7917955/Wikileaks-Afghanistan-Taliban-hunting-down-informants.html ) that you can sneer over your cup of mocha with Ratafia biscuits and make points of social style. Perhaps you think that war is a question of smart weapons and ice cool nerves, where heroic troops supply aid in one hand, and with the other snipe the pistol out of the terrorist's hand, all the while under a safe curtain of air support, equipped with smart guns, rockets and bombs, such that only the bad guys are KIA, oh yes.

The world glugged down Gerry Adams' (leader of Sinn Fein) claims that there was a shoot to kill policy, never mind the fact that accuracy is the domain of snipers, with the average soldier shooting at the abdomen... ...whilst terrorists lay culvert bombs/IEDs, and are forgiven. Even when they massacre children. That said, and a defence of bomb happy troops is a part of this, I would like ToniBliar et al. in the Hague, yes; he committed soldiers to a lie, and for that he must pay.

The world is a cold hard place. It always will be. Not only will nations make war, but people will raise private armies, drug barons, terrorist barons, and fight the states that protect their citizens. Meanwhile, people like Julie Asshat will expect the highest of standards from others, while putting substantial numbers of people at risk. War and preparedness for war requires secrecy. Give away your orbat and you are dead.

Si vis pacem, para bellum. Indeed, if you want it you have to fight for it. My reminders will fall on deaf ears because since WWII relatively few have an experience of war and can understand the point. Before you ask, yes I do have that experience.

I hope that I didn't cause you to stamp your feet and smash your mocha cup on my mess tin.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

I'm in a different, more modern war, and Assange is one of the symptoms.

People like Assange have no idea what they are doing, just like most of his supporters. The only way these idiots get a taste of the world out there is if they are shipped off to all the places where there is real danger, and then their names revealed. I'd like to see them run for their lives, knowing that that what will happen to them when they get caught is not going to comply much with the Geneva convention - just what happened to those they revealed with their stupid "look how clever we are" uncontrolled release of information.

Yes, governments need to be held to account for abuse of power, but that is something journalists can do and have done for ages. If they can be supported by hacking, OK, but nobody has the right to become judge, jury and executioner - that's how dictatorships work. Those nice places I'd like him and his cronies to reside for a while.

Ironically, Assange is relying heavily on the system he and his cronies are fighting to stay out of jail.

1. Scorchio!!
            Thumb Up

"People like Assange have no idea what they are doing, just like most of his supporters."

Indeed. To them this is merely a matter of bits and bytes, but when you apply dressings to wounds it is altogether different.

As to Assange's reliance on those whom he attacks, well yes. I won't miss him if he has an accident.

2. Local Group
          Happy

Re: Si vis pacem, para bellum

To be serious for a minute (not my natural state), I agree with most everything you say, except, 'if you want peace you have to fight for it.' You fight, you buy a few years or decades and then the children's children of the men who fought to win the peace take over and fuck everything up. It's chronicled in the Bible 5000 years ago.

You've heard this one: Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Isn't fighting to win peace the perfect example of that?

Whatever. I decided to opt out.

I imagine you are no less offended by the deaths of innocent Vietnamese and Iraqis than I am. But while it made me angry, you felt something good was going to follow those wars. I still don't see that anything good resulted. Only that 5 years after the war in Iraq was concluded, scores of people every week are still dying from explosions that weren't happening under Saddam.

I don't know. You sound like you're British and that you served your country and that you brought back your experience to this forum. But I must tell you what Hamlet told his friend in the first act of the play, "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."

Yep, just when you think your philosophy's complete, bingo, there's more.

1. Scorchio!!

Re: Si vis pacem, para bellum

" Re: Si vis pacem, para bellum To be serious for a minute (not my natural state)"

I know. Hence paying little attention to your drivel, though you did make more sense this time.

As far as the eternal struggle is concerned, "that's life... ...and death".

HTH.

5. Freshp2
    Paris Hilton

NO INTERNS PLEASE! But can you write code? I might have some work for you

In a pinch...... Two heavy weights breathing down your neck and wanting blood....... Like parents trying to figure out what to do with your A€$...... send him to the pen or to boarding school? Well at least he didn't sell the cables to a know terrorist group, although I'm pretty sure he feels like he's being held hostage by terrorist. But how will this effect shared information on the web? If information is on the web somebody will eventually get their hands on it, I've came across plenty of info I should have shared, but whistle blowing isn't my thing, but I get it.....but I'm a creative........ I sometimes see myself as Galileo...... Battling with the chuch about all that I believe to be true through my discoveries....... I seek and they destroy, it's on going, the inquisition. But it can be done to the likes of all, if we just loosen up a bit, on both sides...... These are dangerous times, and people want to know what's going on in the world, and enemies of the states do to as well. You gotta sit down and hash it out....... I'm pretty sure Europe and America would hate to be toppled by a leak thet led to it's demise, by protest, riots, facebook posts and tweets like in Egypt and others places as we seen it could happen, but let's not try and find out......... peace out! VP is freshp2

1. heyrick Silver badge
      WTF?

Re: NO INTERNS PLEASE! But can you write code? I might have some work for you

Um.... Hands up if that made any sense at all.

6. arsetechnica

"Rolling its eyes"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-19292323

More like throwing its rattle out of the pram.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

No America involvement?

"The Organisation of American States called a special meeting at its Washington headquarters on Thursday to discuss the Ecuador-UK relationship, specifically Ecuador's diplomatic premises in the UK."

Yet some still believe this is just about a consensual sex/rape thing and just sweden. Denying the US government angle on this whole affair is for the blind.

1. Chad H.
      FAIL

Re: No America involvement?

Err, the OAS is a regional trade and security body for North and South America. Given that the UK seemingly threatened to breach diplomatic norms with one of their members, it is only right they should meet.

That the OAS meeting doesn't mean there is any US involvement in this situation at all - in the same way it doesn't mean Chile, Cuba or even El Salvador is involved.

8. xyz Silver badge
    Thumb Up

Whatever the ins and outs of all this

(no pun intended) it was a blinding move to dive into the nearest diplomatic Tesco and ask for asylum. Bet Gary McKinnon's mum wishes she'd thought of that one. I wonder how long it'll be before the embassy will "catch fire" forcing everyone to be evacuated?

9. Hubert Thrunge Jr.
    Facepalm

Bottom line is....

Assange has been fitted up by the men in black so once he's in Sweden, they can lift him out of there to the 'States and he can have some fun with a bit of snow boarding. Well the snow may have melted so it's going to be water, but hey, what's in a word...

Isn't it odd that this Swedish "crime" came to light just after Wikileaks released the Cables?

One would have thought that Sweden would have told the US where to go in the light of what GM did to SAAB!

1. Chad H.
      FAIL

Re: Bottom line is....

Oh nonsense. Said men in black do do that equally in the UK.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Bottom line is....

"Isn't it odd that this Swedish "crime" came to light just after Wikileaks released the Cables?"

Not when the alleged crimes happened during a visit he made to Sweden AFTER the cables were released when he was seeking residency there to benefit from Sweden's whistleblowing laws.

yes it is possible there is a genuine case against him you know, and multiple courts in the UK have agreed. Do you seriously think multiple courts and judges in Sweden and the UK are all being paid off by uncle sam?

10. mad_dr
    Unhappy

I have no opinion on whether JA did or didn't do anything to anyone at any time. All I know is that, judging by the way that this situation has polarised opinion, the UK seems to have been dragged into this and that the international image of the UK the would have been far better off if he'd decided to go to Belgium or somewhere other than the UK.

I expect that half of the population (or perhaps more) will consider me to be a heartless bastard for selfishly preferring that the UK isn't used as a stage upon which to play out a situation that will end up with no winners and plenty of losers. I know there will be a fair number of folks who think that as a civilised nation it's our duty to involve ourselves and ensure that justice is done but they're never going to actually agree with one another as to what justice actually IS in this case...

I see no good outcome to this.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Now it's clear what Assange is *really* afraid of..

As far as I can see, the Ego Formerly Known As Assange (EFKAA) is desperately, *desperately* afraid of no longer receiving media attention. Why, he might even have to find a job and have to (shock, horror) WORK for a living (I'd say obey the law, but I think that's unlikely).

Hence, his deepest fear must be to be dragged to Sweden, receive a minuscule fine and sent packing. No black helicopters, no snipers and worse, no press waiting outside to take statements.

Hence the desperate move to an embassy. If he had remained where he was, the above scenario would have played out already. Now he gets to bleat some more before some people realise he's now just a common criminal who is a tad more creative in avoiding accounting for his actions.

Worse, I fear this has now become his habit. God help us if he ever gets a parking fine.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This is pure theatre on the part of Assange and Ecuador

Let's establish some legal facts here, not speculation or conspiracies.

JA had a perfectly valid EAW served upon him. He chose to challenge that through the courts and lost. It doesn't matter whether the EAW relates to allegations of rape or shoplifting, it is valid and has been proven to be so in a court of law. He doesn't like it, but not liking it does not make it less valid.

Both Sweden and the UK are signatories to the EU Human Right acts, which forbid cruel and unusual punnisment and expressly forbid extradition to countries where an individual my be threatened with Capital Punishment. JA and his lawyers would challenge any attempt to extradite him from Sweden or the UK to the US if there was any hint of capital punishment and they would win. JA knows this, so why is he acting like a twat? Becuse he feeds of media attention and wants to goad the UK.

The crimes which he is alleged to have committed in Sweden are serious, but not as serious as we in the UK might understand an allegation of rape. If charged and found guilty he would not face a long jail term.

Ecuador is a fine upstanding member of the international community with an excellent track record on human rights - NOT. JA knows this too, so why chose Ecuador? Because Ecuador are firmly anti western powers - note the comments from Ecuador on not being a colony. Who brought up colonialism? The UK simply stated that ultimately under UK law, we could rescind the diplomatic status of the mission and enter without violating the Vienna Convention. Ecuador risk this action by harboring a criminal (yes his is a criminal i the UK having broken his bail condition), which is expressly against the Vienna Convention which forbids meddling in the host nations legal affairs. So why do Ecuador continue down this track? Becasue they want to be shown as the little guy taking on the big guy. They are making a power play back home and want to be seen to be a hero in Latin America. They want to challenge the might of Argentina in the anti-western stakes and wind more influence in their own back yard.

JA needs to be careful. Once his usefulness to Ecuador runs out, or he becomes too much of a liability, he will be dropped like a stone.

No tin hats, no conspiracy, no extradition to US, just simple statements of the real world position.

1. Scorchio!!

Re: This is pure theatre on the part of Assange and Ecuador

"Both Sweden and the UK are signatories to the EU Human Right acts"

Please excuse me for correcting you; the human rights act is the domain of the European Court of Human Rights ( http://www.echr.coe.int/ECHR/homepage_en ), which has nothing to do with the EU. It's ironic that Churchill had much to do with setting up what has become a hot bed of political correctness, and sad.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

No need to apologise: happy that you can add extra clarity.

Under the protection of the ECHR, there is no way on this earth that he would be extradited to the US from the UK or Sweden if there was even the slightest hint of capital punishment on the table. I would bet my house on it.

Everything else is noise.

1. Scorchio!!

"No need to apologise: happy that you can add extra clarity."

Thanks and yes, WRT extradition/noise. A giant bucket of cold water to the noisy ones. Meheh.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Insurance...?

This reminds me that I still have that insurance.aes256 file kicking around somewhere. Still proving to be a useful file, Jules?

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

If nothing else he's highlighted just how many conspiracy nuts are walking amongst us.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Dead man walking (or hiding)...

Assange is as good as dead now that he jumped bail and fled to Ecuador's UK embassy. Ecuador must be as naive as Assange if they think they won't be held accountable for harboring a fugitive.

1. Local Group
      Trollface

Re: Dead man eating free tapas

What you wouldn't give for that, AC?

16. Chronicle

the "tiger" is patient

In 2010, Assange went to Sweden because of their strong laws protecting "whistleblowers." While there, he encountered two women with whom he reportedly had sexual relations. But according to the BBC, quote, "Both women reportedly say that what started as consensual sex became non-consensual."

In short, both women voluntarily had sex with Assange. But, at some point, they "claim" it became non-consensual. Sounds pretty fishy to me. Makes me wonder if the sex became non-consensual sex after they were offered money by the U.K and/or U.S. to just "say so."

In the end, however, I think this situation is much ado about nothing. Even if Assange managed to get himself to Ecuador, how long do you think it would be before the U.S. launched a "covert" attempt to grab him? Bottom line? Assange rattled the tiger's cage ... big time. And sooner or later, the tiger is going to get him.

1. Scorchio!!
      Thumb Up

Re: the "tiger" is patient

"Assange rattled the tiger's cage ... big time. And sooner or later, the tiger is going to get him."

As a fellow psychobiologist once put it to me, pinch a rat's tail and expect it to bite, hard.

1. Charles 9

"As a fellow psychobiologist once put it to me, pinch a rat's tail and expect it to bite, hard."

But to take the analogy a step further, what if you pinch the rat's tail with a gauntlet-clad fist? The rat may turn to bite, but it's not like it's going to get anything out of the deal.

1. Scorchio!!
          FAIL

"But to take the analogy a step further, what if you pinch the rat's tail with a gauntlet-clad fist?"

Do you see a big enough fist? I don't

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like