back to article Microsoft: Office 2013 license is for just one PC, FOREVER

Microsoft has clarified the licensing for retail versions of its Office 2013 productivity suite, confirming that boxed editions of the software are licensed for a single PC only and that the license may never be transferred, even if the user upgrades to a new PC. Over the past week, Office users around the web have expressed …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Michael Habel
    Stop

Stop... Arn't we forgetting about XP Product Activation?

Cause I know for a fact, having purchased a copy of Home Professional for a long dead Laptop, that I was no longer able to use my Software (e.g. Activate it), on any of my other Hardware. i.e. My Desktop PC.

I fail to see in the broader strokes how this is more or less any different?

1. Michael Habel
      Stop

Re: Stop... Arn't we forgetting about XP Product Activation?

Actually IIRC replacing a Graphic / Sound Card, the amount of System RAM, the CPU or even just the Mainboard DID constitute such a change as to imply a new PC install back then.

I've personally just gone on to use OEM branded stuff, cause it's easier to get upgrades from - Starter Edition to full blown Ultimate Editions, just by copying a few files to the install Disk / ISO / USB Stick to reinstall said Software as its been pre-activated already by the OEM.

I guess my next main-line OS will likely be Debian or perhaps Mint? Debian 'cause of the back-door learning curb I got over by using Ubuntu. Mint cause its supposed to be like Ubuntu, but with ALL the charm, and no Unity Desktop and Amazon search.

In any case I suspect that Windows 7 will likely be my last Windows install the PC Workstation is (if not already dead), a dying platform. I for One prefer smaller more mobile platforms like Notebooks, Netbooks, Tablets and or Phones. (Let the down votes commence); But it you think for a moment that the majority of People in this world aren't ready to chuck their Beige Boxes yet for any of the above your only deluding yourselves.

As for Microsofts draconian licensing policies. My only comment on this is...

How soon we forget.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Once upon a time..

.. Borland licensed software "as a book" - you can use it anywhere, but only you.

I see some of that idea in the OSX App Store approach which allows you to install the software you bought on any Mac you have a personal account on (and quite a few other software suppliers follow the same route, for instance, Omnigraffle are quite OK with that too - and are quite taken with people asking about that, because it means we play fair.

From a business perspective it creates a great incentive to buy the more expensive stuff too because I know I can use it where I want to - otherwise I'd have to think on which machine to install it, and plan to be near it when I have an idea that involves that software. Plus - the major risk with the MS approach - if the machine borks I can simply use anther one, or restore from backup on a replacement.

Frankly, I cannot see who in their right mind would accept this sort of licensing as soon as they are made aware of the alternatives out there. From a business perspective it's almost criminal because it would up the cost of business Continuity Management substantially for no good reason other than that MS needs more money to keep the Titanic a little bit longer afloat.

3. Fiddler on the roof
    FAIL

This doesnt make sense.....

Are they aware that they have competitors in this space? They are behaving like they have the only office suite in the world. It really troubles me that the management at Ms can think this is a good idea given that they make a lot of money from Office. I would have loved to have been at the meeting when the dick head marketeer suggested this. I could have pulled the spasmo face and said are you medically stupid, why do you want to annoy our customers?

4. Arachnoid
    Flame

Hmm so Im renting my copy of Office..........does that mean when it breaks they are legally obliged to send someone round free of charge, to fix it?

1. JDX Gold badge

That's why they keep releasing fixes for it after you paid.

2. IJC
      FAIL

No. Read the license it's all there. You do know how to read right?

5. Libreated
    FAIL

The insanity that is Microsoft

This move is no big surprise and, let's face it, it's not a move to promote the fat version of office, just to protect the installed base of 2007/10. There's a case to be made that imagination begets mantra, begets doctrine, begets dictat. This is the Microsoft of today - stuffed if they do nothing, stuffed if they do something. With Google Docs and apps, Libre Office and other web apps, Office from Microsoft has in some ways lost it's rationale. A cause without foundation.

I don't see any other way for Redmond except down subscription routes, and this move effectively makes installed Office retail so un-attractive that subscription seems heavenly for the mobile (installed) user.

Insanity? Yes, by not succeeding with Office365 in the numbers, Microsoft will be seen by its most loyal base (business) as un-workable in the hardware-mobile world. Shame.

1. Dave 15

Re: The insanity that is Microsoft

Office365 is not a viable product for many people.

I use my laptop on the train, the plane, in hotels. I need to use it when I move house and the broadband isn't yet in place... I can't if I don't have the damned applications and the damned data actually on the damned machine can I? And no, using a mobile phone as a model is (a) prohibitively expensive, (b) damned slow, (c) totally impractical on planes, trains and about 80% of the UK where there is no decent connection available.

Cloud is also not secure, come now - its bad enough if someone launches a cyber attack on your company, but putting your data on a server run by the main target themselves is just a guaranteed data loss. Not to mention that a UK company with its data on a US server will find its data looked into by US authorities - potentially distributed to competitors, potentially being used in 'criminal trials' etc etc etc.

1. graeme leggett Silver badge

In so far as I understand If you are on the Office Pro version or the Homer Premium then you have both the downloaded version and the streamed version of the apps. But you are on a rolling 30day licence for the former.

2. IJC
        FAIL

Haven't read the different Office 365 plans have you?

Especially not the home premium plan that allows the full install of Office 2013 on 5 different machines?

Can't let the truth get in the way of a nice rant now can we?

6. Florence

365/2013, radio ads

Commercial radio has been playing adverts for Office 365 for the past month or so, with its main selling point being the ability to install on *5* devices, so that should be good enough for all the family bla bla.

Now I don't use MS Office other than Office 2003 in an XP VM, so I have no idea what other differences between Office 365 and 2013 may be, and I would expect the majority of their target customers don't either. How many will hear "Office, install on 5 computers" on the radio and go buy a copy in PC World which may or may not be the one that grants them 5 licenses...

1. IJC

Re: 365/2013, radio ads

Caveat Emptor.

Don't read the license, don't complain.

1. pepper
        WTF?

Re: 365/2013, radio ads

Pray tell, do they include the license on the outside nowadays in physical shops?

7. wolfetone Silver badge
    Devil

"Hello Microsoft?"

"This is the EU Anti-trust people, remember us?"

8. Volker Hett
    Thumb Up

I see a business oportunity

in fixing broken mainboards. I think I'll stock up on capacitors and stuff ...

9. paulc
    Mushroom

Better still...

"So what are honest customers to do if they need to use Office on more than one computer, or if they plan to buy new PCs before the next version of Office comes out? Anyone who has been following the latest Office launch should already know Redmond's answer to that: those customers should skip the retail version of Office 2013 and get Office 365 subscriptions instead."

I have a better idea... dump them when it comes to the bitter point when the machine breaks down... Invest some time into using LibreOffice in preparation and only use Office for those few things you can't quite do yet in LibreOffice...

10. Carl
    Devil

Click Here

www.libreoffice.org/download/

11. Carl
    Headmaster

George Orwell

Can't help get the sneaking suspicion that he was a time traveler,

who wrote his masterpiece "1984" using Microsoft products.

And it was this experience that helped him come up with the phrase

" Imagine a boot stamping on a human face. Forever. "

12. Rufusstan
    WTF?

So Microsoft don't want my money anymore?

OK, upfront I admit I fall into neither of the Microsoft camps: no fanboy, but I have no wish to burn them with fire either. I tend to have a 'good enough' attitude towards software -- strange as I am pretty obsessive over hardware.

Anyway, I use Win 7, largely because it doesn't kick me in the knackers when it boots, and pretty much does what I need it to; The same with my current Office.

Now as I see it: Win 8 wont ever go near my PC. I don't hate it, but looking at the features I just conclude it isn't aimed at me. Which is fine unless Microsoft keep heading down the tablet/mobile route.

I was considering upgrading office this cycle, but there is no way I would touch it with the conditions on the license which seem harsher than those on an OEM op system disc. The fact that there is no other option for retail purchasers is insane. The fact that their terms are likely illegal where I live is just the Cherry on top.

So? I stick with Win 7 until time moves on to the point I have to change, If the current version offers no real advantages, It is Linux I guess. With Office it is more immediate. I have my shiny DVD and could keep reusing indefinitely, but now I want to upgrade. I'd section myself before I bought Office 2013, so Open source I go. Ironically, I've tried Open Office before,but didn't stick with it when the choice was learning a completely new setup VS an old system that was OK (the 'good enough' thing again). Now Microsoft themselves have persuaded me to try again.

The really sad thing is I am the sort of idiot that helps keep Microsoft afloat by taking the easy option. If I am typical, when I walk away; I never go back (stopped using IE about 8 years ago and would rather gnaw off my own testicles than go back to it. -- OK maybe not exactly; but you get the idea). What it means is that, as others have commented, these new tactics could backfire spectacularly.

1. IJC
      FAIL

Re: So Microsoft don't want my money anymore?

"The fact that there is no other option for retail purchasers is insane. The fact that their terms are likely illegal where I live is just the Cherry on top."

Facts have nothing to do with these statements. there are lots of other options for retail purchasers and the terms are not in any way illegal, just because there are lots of other options.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Loophole!

Use a virtual machine of windows. It is the same PC, as its virtual. Store the VM on a removable disk which means you can change machines as much as you like as long as you load the same VM.

Or the intelligent option is to move to a free office suite which is actually standards compliant. But if you do this you may find you could use linux instead of windows which saves even more money. As steam is moving over there is strong potential for some of its customers to move too.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Even Adobe aren't this stupid!

I thought Photoshop was annoying but at least you can de-activate and reactivate on a new machine when you want to move, you can have as many installs as you like with only one active at a time, all you need is a net connection to shift it from machine to machine. This MS things is step further and step too far!

1. JDX Gold badge

Re: Even Adobe aren't this stupid!

None of what you described about Photoshop is stupid. Licenses are fine in my view... but per-machine licenses are not.

15. Duncan 4

excellent ranting!

some really great anti MS ranting taking shape on the reg today, bet seeing this article to rant on made some peoples day lol

16. rictay
    Thumb Up

Open Office, no contest

I moved to Open Office years ago and have stuck with it since. I even used it to read Excel files from a client when my MS version wouldn't open them, and saved them into a version that it COULD understand. Then I had to go the reverse direction to send completed work back to client. MS Office? Yor avvin' a larf, encha?

17. Mad Mike

Stupidity

Eventually Microsoft and all other similar companies will realise a few truths. Quite a lot of software companies have already realised and moved their models, but those hell bent on the most profit possible now at the expense of the future are still lagging behind. I suspect terms such as this will cause Microsoft even more issues before the EU soon.

Microsoft should either give away their operating systems and office products for free, or a nominal amount to cover distribution etc. The money they make on them retail is simply not worth the trouble and bad press. Also, people running these products at home is part of the reason why companies buy them. People already know how to use them, saves training etc. In other words, home sales drives business sales. Business sales is where the money is.

When home users are faced with having to shell out constantly for Office on top of the already silly costs of Windows (assuming not OEM), they are likely to move away and then the benefit of having the same software at home and work is lost. Maybe if people are mostly skilled in OpenOffice or whatever, companies might switch as well? The ubiquity of Microsoft is largely due to ensuring they remain on almost all computers sold. If this starts to be eroded, they will suffer financially in the future.

1. JDX Gold badge

Re: Stupidity

Yes MS should give away two products which each bring in $billions every year. Great business decision :)

I would go with you if you suggested they should give dev tools away - full-price Visual Studio must be out of reach of many developers - but simply saying Windows should be free because Linux is doesn't make sense.

1. Mad Mike

@JDX

I never said Windows should be given away because Linux is. Also, if you look into the financials, you'll actually find the vast majority of revenue for each product is actually from business, not home use. So, giving it away for home use won't actually cost that much, certainly not $billions.

Microsoft also have a history of dipping their toe into this. They actually got into their current position by effectively giving Windows away with every PC sold. The cost to the manufacturers was negligable, but it got their operating system into the position it is now. To extend that to retail and everyone would cost very little. HP had a deal with Microsoft that saw Office distributed with each of their PCs for free. Not every Office products, but Word and Excel and slightly cut down versions. But, good enough for home use by most people. So, I'm not talking about giving away Ultimate (or whatever they want to call it) edition for home use. Just something with enough functionality to ensure people stay with Office. That deal with HP was another toe dip. Again, the licensing loss would be minimal, but it would cement their position and ensure everyone uses it.

I'm not suggesting they should do it for altruistic reasons. I'm talking about it for cold hard business reasons. Negligable cost and keeps everyone on your software, especially businesses where the revenue is. Result.

Development tools as well? Why not. Don't know what the financials are around them, so can't comment, but if it ensures you keep your business use, why not give away home use?

2. Mad Mike

having re-read my post, I should add that I meant give away Windows and Office for home use only. I hope this was clear by then saying that business use was where the money is. However, I know I didn't explicitly say home use.

18. Dave 15

Open office anyone

ex-msft, just sold my last msft shares (clearly if the company is going to try this sort of tactic it is going to fuck off whatever its users it has left

I won't be getting another copy of MS office if the licence agreement doesn't allow me to transfer it from a broken machine to a replacement - more common for me than 'upgrading'.

Frankly its fucking rude.

Worse than that of course Microsoft has gone into complete la la la la land and sticks its collective fingers in its ears and won't even let you send a comment on its website.

Pity I can't give them thunbs down, wtf and fail at the same time.

Idiots, greedy stupid blind and ignorant idiots. God I hope the whole damned company disappears up its collective backside and goes bankrupt.

19. mmeier

Before ranting please check:

Does this actually apply to your country?

It does i.e NOT apply for germany where this type of licence is simple illegal and invalid! The EULA is generic and not always binding. MS Germany has upon queries by german media already stated that the bundling will not happen there.

IIRC the laws behind that are EU nor german so quite a few countries are getting the same rule.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

The problem with that is that many are unaware of the validity or not. A good example was the Apple scam of selling you extended warranty for year 2 while that should be included according to EU law. I like Apple gear, but I never bought the extended warranty because I know this.

In the UK, for instance, it is quite possible that this is illegal as well as it could be argued the terms are unfair, which creates a conflict with contract law. In the US they have a problem with the First Sale doctrine, so there are plenty questions, but as with all large companies, Microsoft relies on the fact that many don't check to get away with it until it gets regulatory attention.

All AFAIK, btw, IANAL..

20. CrashM
    WTF?

Congrats Steve

Congrats Steve, you have screwed over another piece of software and doomed it to the grave... who is going to pay $6-20 per month for what google and libre office give away for free?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Congrats Steve

dur dunno but possibly the people who currently PAY for MS Office now rather than use the currently FREE alternatives, think theres a few million of them isn't there?

2. IJC
      FAIL

Re: Congrats Steve

You obviously have no idea what Office 365 provides do you?

21. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Fuck 'em

I've already got a pirated version of 2013 for use at home. Through the nature of my job the bastards get more than enough money as a direct result of my existence, without me having to personally bankroll them as well.

1. revdjenk
      Facepalm

Re: Fuck 'em

So! You are proud of pirating the software of a company who makes "standards" by breaking them? And then help to continue foisting these "standards" on the rest of us?!

22. mking

What is a PC?

So exactly what defines a PC?

The Hard Disc, mother board, power supply, OS, Cabinet/Case?

I would think that for most its the cabinet since all other aspects are considered upgrades -- I can upgrade my disc drive, I can upgrade my motherboard, I can replace my power supply, and surely Microsoft will want me to upgrade my OS (they get money for that one).

The only thing most people would consider a different PC is when we replace the physical cabinet/case -- so it would be logical, and in my opinion a totally defensible legal argument, that only when replacing the cabinet/case are you moving the software to another PC. This I may not like but I can live with.

23. Winkypop Silver badge
    FAIL

Home Use Program

I have MS Office Pro 2013 under the MS HUP.

It only cost me $15.00 so worse case is another $15.00.

I can live with that, although it is bad form.

1. Rukario

Re: Home Use Program

Home Use Program falls under the enterprise licensing agreement from your workplace, so is again different from the retail version that's being discussed here. You can do 2 installations on different machines, though not sure if replacing a machine counts as a "reinstall".

Details here. http://www.microsofthup.com/hupus/faq.aspx

24. UnkDB

Who's at the front door now?

I installed 2013 two weeks ago. Last week the hardware suffered a major failure and I am buying a new system. I intend to physically transfer the hard disk from one machine to another. I am not re-installing software. But by reading the statement I would technically still be in breach.

If MS want it removed, they are welcome to make an appointment to come to my house at a mutually convenient time to perform the un-install.

25. Roger Mew

i am still using my student version, but still teaching, albeit now grandchildren. However, I am guessing that my next machine may not have windows office on it. Open Office has problems sure, but the current stupidity of windows is draconian an irresponsible.

Thought though, so I load MS Office onto a machines ssd, use that machine as solely having office on it and gain access by using it as a server for say the next 20 years does that mean that MS is OBLIGED to give service and so on.

That will mean all my computers can use it and so can others via the internet. Its only installed on one computer Mr MS policeman.

Gotta go door bell, Oh gosh its the MS police!!

26. Brian Allan

Doing nicely with Office 2003, thank you!

I cannot for any reason imagine why I would want to upgrade to the latest version of Office!? Office 2003 does a great job!

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like