back to article Windows 8: Not even Microsoft thinks businesses will use it

Like Thelma and Louise, executives at Microsoft's Windows division have no doubts about which direction they want to point the car. It's pedal to the floor, and over the cliff as fast as they can drive. Last week the latest Windows 8 public preview confirmed what many had expected and feared: there will be no compromise on the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Sil

Trojan horse

I can only assume the strategy goes like this:

- consumers fall in love with Windows 8

- In 6-12 monthes they come to the office with Windows 8 - based BYOD and ask the IT department why they can't have windows 8 at work

- IT dep overwhelmed with request moves all IT to windows 8 or 9.

A big bet indeed.

2. sambob223
    Facepalm

Even worse

Windows 8??? Anyone remember windows ME? Or Microsoft BoB? and yes I am that old.

I've got four computers only one Is running Win 7 the others are Win XP.

I simply haven't seen enough Improvements to justify the upgrade, and unless there's a check box to switch to "windows classic view" and leave the metro UI behind I don't see myself ever upgrading

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Does anybody really care....

....about Microsoft anymore (besides tired scribblers)? Microsoft is yesterday's newspaper blowing down Wall Street.

1. JDX Gold badge

Re: Does anybody really care....

Outside the world you live in (your bedroom), yes.

4. midlandman2012

Smacking Microsoft and Apple

My two cents worth.

I use Windows and consequently am obligated to buy products made for Windows. Whether those products are made by Windows or third party is not relevant. However, being forced by new Windows O/S to only download (and pay for) applications from Microsoft is just pure business blackmail. Which is something Microsoft is good at. Some Windows products are quite good, their products for business are sometimes exceptional. I will not use their new products/OS. Currently my personal computers an older XP Laptop and a newer Win 7 Laptop are no longer allowed to go onto the Internet, because of Microsoft policies and their grip on your inability to stop them from downloading whatever they want (not what I want) to my machines. In the corporate environment I work in there is a little more control; but only a little. But in my personal world I refuse to be told how to compute and what software I will use. Consequently my Mini Mac and MacBook are now also forbidden to use the internet just because there is little difference between the two corporations. I don't care about touch pads and I don't care to watch jerky movies on my computers. I do not want to buy reams of ram just to write some email.

I use a Linux box for all my internet activity because I can control everything on it, myself. I don't use Debian because they are just imitating Microsoft and Apple and they also install upgrades on your machine willy nilly.

The last thing I want is a GUI that sucks up all my resources, records everything I do (This is supposed to be an asset but is in fact a liability) so that whomever breaches my machine can poke around and collect information about me and my habits, just as Microsoft and Apple do. In fact before you can use software or O/S from either of those companies you waive your rights and give them permission ti invade your computer domain at will.

It is not that ALL their stuff is Rubbish, it is that all their stuff is geared to forcing you to buy more of their stuff. I know the analogy to "If they made Cars like they made computers, everyone would ride bicycles" because of abrupt shutdowns and halted systems demanding, demanding I say; that you upgrade.

Tablets are here to stay no doubt. If you are a serious computer user, using the computer to do what YOU WANT to do then there is only one choice - basic Linux. When I prepare software for deployment in manufacturing operations that require the computer to connect and communicate with PIC controllers or any other one of a thousand electronic devices I do not want or need some corporate computer manufacturer demanding payment for a "seat" license for each pic that connects. So although I still use and like the Windows and Mac machines I own they operate in a closed environment. My Slackware (go ahead , laugh) box is the only box allowed to do REAL work.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like