back to article NASA tests crazytech flying saucer thruster, could reach Mars in days

NASA has tested an "impossible" electric space drive that uses no propellant – and found it works even when it is designed not to. EmDrive space motor The EmDrive space engine ... a long time coming This has sparked immediate skepticism of the technology. The system is designed to use microwave energy reflected along a …

Page:

1. Old Handle

Re: I like it, but I just don't trust it (yet)

Didn't think of the magnetic field, but the vacuum test absolutely needs to be done. The possibility that it works by pushing against the air (whether by some exotic electromagnetic means or not) needs to be ruled out as soon as possible.

1. 4ecks

I agree, this would need to be tested in a "Hard Vacuum" with to eliminate the possibility that you are just microwaving the gas particles in the air, also some method of testing that ablation of the chamber walls is not contributing reaction mass to the engine.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: I4ecks

Quick duck, I see downvotes coming as you dared to question science, scientists and NASA with some additional observations to support their findings.

Notice no where did we say they are wrong, but that science needs to be done before it can be said to be "right".

2. James Micallef Silver badge

"it is still a very useful technology that should be pursued to reduce the cost of getting mass into space."

No, it won't work to get mass into space, way too feeble. But once it's lugged into space by a conventional rocket, it would be great for getting mass around space

1. Anonymous Coward
    Boffin

Capt'in!! The engines have lost all power, and she cann'a take no more!!!!!

Damnit, Scotty!! I need engines if we are going to get to our rendevous with the nubile green space women of Coitus 5!!! Is there anything you can do!?

Well Capt'in, I can try to set up a propulsive momentum transfer via the quantum vacuum virtual plasma, but it will take 12 hours!

You have 6 hours, Mr. Scott!!

Aye Capt'in!!

(Yes, I watched WAAAYYYY too much Star Trek as a kid)

2. Number6
    Joke

Who needs solar cells, they could use cold fusion to power it.

3. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
    Alien

The Nazis nearly got there first.

There seems to be some bits missing from this version. It needs more stuff. See this science article for more information.

4. Chris Gray 1
    Go

Here's another...

I too will take this with lots of grains of salt until it is proved out a lot more. However, I would like to contribute another reactionless drive scheme for you all. :-)

Make a smallish particle accellerator. Accellerate particles from one end to about the half-way point. Then decellerate the particles. Reverse, and send the particles back. Keep them going back and forth. No resulting momentum is imparted to the structure of the chamber because it all cancels out. But, make the thing strong enough to accellerate the particles to close to the speed of light in the middle. Now you get a mass increase in the particles. Still no big deal.

Now use two different waveforms - one to accellerate and one to decellerate, such that the particles spend different amounts of time at different near-speed-of-light speeds. Do both phases contribute the same momentum to the the chamber's structure? We would assume so, but I'm not good enough at math to actually do the calculations to prove it.

If its not balanced, you have a reaction-less drive. If this actually works, some theory as to why it works would be needed, and this "quantum vacuum virtual plasma" stuff doesn't seem to be involved.

(I first had this thought in my undergrad days, which is a loooong time ago.)

1. Alan Johnson

Re: Here's another...

But the center of mass of the system as a whole is not affected. It is like running up and down a small boat. The boat will move backwards and forwards a little but you can't do more than oscillate the boat around an average position and the center of mass of the whole system does not move.

5. FreemonSandlewould

Don't power it with solar cells. Power it with NUCLEAR. I want to see some serious get up and go instead of some pansy poof solar cell powered rig

1. P. Lee
      Holmes

> Don't power it with solar cells. Power it with NUCLEAR. I want to see some serious get up and go instead of some pansy poof solar cell powered rig

When the launch rocket fails, breaks up and spews bits all over the earth, I want to see pansy solar cells raining down.

1. FreemonSandlewould

Screw that....just place the launch area where we can manage the cleanup. You lefty loons always want to go full on Luddite. You probably believe in global warming too.

6. FreemonSandlewould

I looked at the data. Are they talking milli newtons or MICRO newtons......?

1. KjetilS

m = micro, µ = micro

Metric prefixes

1. Major N

m = milli; µ = micro

FTFY

7. harmjschoonhoven
    Stop

Re: Anomalous Thrust Production

From D.A. Brady et al.: "Testing was performed ... within a stainless steel vacuum chamber with the door closed but at ambient atmospheric pressure."

So it is not rocket science after all.

8. DocJD

Acceleration

I hope this is not redundant. The first time I tried to post it seems to have evaporated.

Before anyone calculates trip time with an "assumed" acceleration, some simple calculations should be done (and shame on the headline writer for not doing them).

The key number is specific power (W/kg).

F=ma (Force equals Mass times Acceleration so....

a = F/m

From a slightly old source, the "long term goal" for specific power of solar panels on spacecraft was 300 W/kg, and this was at Earth orbit, It will decrease on the way out. If we use the optimistic 300 and the optimistic Chinese data with .72 Newtons/2500 Watts we get:

a = (0.72 kg-meter)/(2500 Watt-second^2) * 300 Watt/kg

a = 0.086 m/s^2

1 g is 9.8 m/s^2 so we have less than 0.01 g (without any spacecraft body or payload).

There is a rule of thumb that the power source is 25-35% of a satellite's dry mass, which means we get (assuming the optimistic-for-payload smaller number) less than 0.0025 g acceleration.

Based on previous calculations by Pet Peeve, this gives us a 14 month straight line to Mars time and (if I read it correctly) that is straight acceleration without slowing down. This is an impressive number, but no big improvement over what we can do now.

It may be possible to better this if the craft takes a slingshot journey near the sun, since it will be able to greatly increase the acceleration while it's in close.

Don't look towards nuclear power to improve on this. The now cancelled ASRG was supposed to improve on present RTG (Radioisotope Thermoelectric Generator) technology and it would still have had a specific power of only 7 W/kg. This is useful out around Jupiter, where sunlight is dim, but not for the topic under discussion.

9. HCL

Very innovative idea. If it can really scale up, we can extend this to create flying suits for humans and the then the whole gamut of transport will go through a see change.

10. Winkypop Silver badge
    Joke

Pfffft

Hasn't Deepak Chopra had one of these in his Quantum Free-Flow Energy Mind Control Flux Converter for years?

11. dncnvncd

Surfing the solar waves

Finally someone demonstrated how the microwaves are generated. Depending on solar activity this could be highly variable. If the one designed to fail worked, perhaps the actual enabling mechanism is not the one theorized. Totally useless for Deep Space(beyond our solar system).

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

it's all good

but i'm led to believe we are all just falling in space, and things in orbit merely fall towards the other at a speed which the other object is moving away from it. perhaps we can just "fall" a ship to mars in the future.

1. d3rrial

Re: it's all good

That ain't how gravity works!

1. This post has been deleted by its author

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So basically...

... large scale application of the Casimir effect?

7671312bc7174fae9df2257775d1c7df489b4237e9b2450d1f24e720724470c2

14. solaries
    Black Helicopters

So are going to finally have that Star Trek future after all. I pray sooner the better so we can escape the Neo-Nazi's who are out to enslave or kill us.

15. VinceH

Hmm. Ignoring the many bits I don't understand (I'm no rocket surgeon), I am minded of what I wrote on these very forums two weeks ago:

"Or a fantastic new means of propulsion (that doesn't involve lots of mass to weigh the rocket down at launch) so you can accelerate the rocket at 9.8M/s^2 for half the distance and flip it around and decelerate it at the same rate for the other half. (And back again)."

Okay, we're not talking 9.8M/s^2 in this case, but still. Neat. If it really works.

(Also, on the bonus side, if microwaves are involved, that's a handy way to heat up the astronauts' meals: Just hang 'em out of the back of the ship. Job's a good 'un.)

16. Indolent Wretch

Skepticism

Hmm I remember reading about this when it came out, at time it was relatavistic effects causing photons to exit different ends of the cavity with non matching momentum thus exerting a force without propellant.

And I seem to remember at the time a lot of people looked at it and came to the conclusion that yes the device was capable of generating a force BUT only if it didn't move in the direction of that force. So you can generation 10 newtons of force to counteract gravity but you can't generate 20 and go up, something about the relative movement of the inertial frames. So if you get the efficiency up you may get a hover board but not a starship.

I wonder if anything has changed or whether this is just a repackaging. You always have to worry when gen 1 produces a barely perceptible effect that even it's existence can be debated, but the gen 2 that's in development (just need a bit more seed capital) will produce a floating building.

Still I'm not saying I wouldn't want to live in a universe where it worked.

17. d3rrial

Do I get this correctly?

This engine uses microwaves to accelerate a pair of virtual particles in the opposite direction of it's vector, thus transferring momentum from the resting virtual particle pair into the rear-facing direction of the device, and due to conservation of momentum, the device is moved 'forward' while the particles move to the back, but because of their virtuality the particles (annihilate?) / seize to exist before they'd impact the back-wall of the device and thus will not accelerate the device in the opposite direction again, leaving the momentum of the thrust-device intact?

In dumb terms: It's creating a 'stone' inside it's hull 'throws' the 'stone' in the direction of the back of the device and thus gains momentum (equal and opposite reaction and all), but lets the 'stone' disappear before it hits the back-wall.

At least that's what my imagination says whats happening. Unfortunately I'm not very well versed with technical terms so, yeah.

1. phil dude
      Boffin

Re: Do I get this correctly?

Actually, I was thinking of dropping them an email to ask if they had cloud chambers to mount at either end. If virtual particles are being produced it should be a pretty straightforward(!) matter to calculate the energies and see if they appear in the trace. Maybe even synchronised.

Just a thought...

P.

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Thrust is no mystery - siz eo fthrust is.

Photons have momentum if the thing broadcasts microwaves the existence of thrust is not a surprise. The size of the thrust is it should be the power divdided by the speed of light but is two big. but there are lots of possible explanations like the vaccum not being perfect and it causing ionsation and acceleration of ions or an unintended interaction with the test chamber.

1. Sir Runcible Spoon

Re: Thrust is no mystery - siz eo fthrust is.

I think I read that the test was performed with an atmospheric pressure, but they are clever bods so one would assume they have ruled out the obvious like heated air being expelled to produce the force measured.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Thrust is no mystery - siz eo fthrust is.

"but they are clever bods"...

Wait, I'm about to go get me a PHD then ask you for your wallet, as I know how to make it grow in size... honest, my PHD says I can!

19. JimmyPage Silver badge

Anyone ever read "OMNI" in the 80s ?

I'm sure they had an article about the problems of long distance space travel, and someone suggested a drive based on heating metal up. The glow of photons would create a tiny thrust, which - over time - would accelerate to quite a speed. IIRC the artists illustration (OMNI had some stunning sci-fi fantasy artwork) showed something like a car cigarette lighter in space ....

20. Bunbury

Crazy Eddie

It's the only way for the Moties to get out without frying in Murcheson's Eye

1. Ashton Black

Re: Crazy Eddie

They could have used a static Langston Field instead of the expanding one!

1. Sir Runcible Spoon

"Crazy Eddy"

Is that the same one who lives in the space time continuum?

2. Bunbury

You'd have thought they'd have worked that out wouldn't you? Perhaps the Theoretical Physicist class was ignored by all those clever Engineers.

21. MrXavia
    Pint

Brilliant!

Good going NASA for testing this out, I am really surprised they proved it really works, but very pleased of course! When no sound came out of china after they started research on it, I expected it was either they failed and didn't want to loose face or they succeeded and decided to not publish...

A pint for the British boffin thinking outside the box (or should I say thinking inside the box considering how this works)

Now we just need to get a decent mini nuke reactor to power it!

Not only does this make manned interplanetary travel more practical, but interstellar travel becomes possible with constant acceleration!

1. psyq

Unfortunately, no, they did not prove it works.

Even the modified setup "worked" - although it was not supposed to.

This suggest that more likely cause is error in experiment setup / measurement.

It would be really great if this thing worked, but it's going to take a bit more to prove it.

22. Bunbury

equal and opposite reaction

so as our banks of microwave emitters blast our invasion fleets out into the galaxy, the earth is ever so slowly nudged into the sun?

1. Ashton Black

Re: equal and opposite reaction

Indeed and every time a spaceship uses a planet's gravity well to perform a gravity assist maneuver that planet slows just a little...

23. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Vladimir Plouzhnikov

Re: Sorry but they did test it in (fairly good) _vacuum_, didn't they? Tell me they did.

No, they didn't. And that is a potential problem - until that thing is tested free-flying in space there will still remain a possibility that the thrust might be caused by some unaccounted for conventional factor.

Having said this, they have done some elimination tests - like putting one of the devices backwards and replacing the "thruster" with a dumb load.

24. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sorry, too busy to check the details of the test right now but...

... if they tested it in less-than-perfect vacuum (a bit hard to avoid) and were measuring the force exerted by the device on the test rig (and not the force exerted by the sealed test rig on the environment) then certainly more likely mechanisms for transfer of momentum are available.

1. harmjschoonhoven

Re: Sorry, too busy to check the details of the test right now but...

The test was done at atmospheric pressure (see my post above).

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Two words: Crookes radiometer.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Yes, but can you produce trust from a closed system of Crookes Radiometers?

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

No you can't, that was the point.

25. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

If it works outside of Earths magnetic field

Is this not just another tap off the planet's magnetic field and is hence useless for propulsion outside of said field?

I remember another system that tapped the power of the planet's field via creating and collapsing magnetic fields that disappeared due to perpetual motion scepticism again minimal power output the result of the energy recovered from collapsed EM fields. So yes this standing wave thruster will work here within the Planet's magnetic field but outside of our relatively strong bubble this drive will have nothing to push a

gainst

1. Vladimir Plouzhnikov

Re: If it works outside of Earths magnetic field

I'll tell you what - if this thing works by pushing against the Earth magnetic field (it doesn't but, anyway), I'll still take it. Will come in just perfect for my flying car/landspeeder/swoop.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like