back to article Dark matter: Good news, everyone! We've found ... NOTHING AT ALL

The most sensitive dark-matter detector ever built has failed to detect any dark matter. It's not yet a problem for the instrument, the LUX Dark Matter Collaboration that The Register described here and here. What it might mean is, in an echo of the kind of iterative narrowing-down that characterised the hunt for the Higgs- …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Faye B
    Coat

Much Ado About Nothing

Sorry I couldn't resist.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The Emperor's New Clothes

So because gravitational models of galaxies do not work a predicted (isn't that called "falsification"?), we make up something called dark matter, which is not only invisible, it isn't even made of ordinary matter. And to detect it, we have to find hypothetical WIMPs.

The emperor's new clothes?

1. codejunky Silver badge

Re: The Emperor's New Clothes

@AC

We can observe the reality but that only allows us to witness the event. To understand/predict that event through time (past and present) we need to model it. Models need to be based on known variables and if it works then we understand the witnessed event. If the model doesnt work then it needs an unknown such as dark matter(for example). This does not mean that dark matter exists or exists in an expected form but it fills the gap to make the model work. However to understand the event we need to then prove dark matter. As such the dark matter becomes the event, restart the process with dark matter as the event.

It could be that dark matter exists. It could be that dark matter is purely a fudge that makes the predictions work (a working prediction matches observation) but turns out to be an unknown interaction/entity. As long as the prediction works we can claim a working model but not complete understanding of the event.

This is why I find MMCC co2 theory funny. While the theory could possibly be correct it is not certain nor understood. The number of uncertain problems faced and the fact that the models dont work effectively disprove the models in their current forms.

Out of interest you wouldnt have made your comment if WIMPs had been found. But it took scientific investigation to prove that WIMPs dont exist in the expected form.

3. Grom_uk

It's not there guys...

Dark matter is needed to make the maths work for what we are observing.

The maths makes assumptions (flat universe, etc..)

Come on guys, the drawing board is calling.

Let the whole dark matter, dark energy thing go, it's had it's time.

Didn't Hawking say the universe was saddle shaped or something, how does the maths look for that?

Why would the universe be flat and at rest, it just had a huge big bang, that we still do not know the cause of.

What caused that could have left the universe in a right state.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
      Headmaster

Re: It's not there guys...

Hawking doesn't say much really.

For "Saddle Shaped" that's "Negative Overall Curvature", see Riemann Surfaces and General Relativity, in the 1920s or so. Experimentally, not detected at the present time; indeed the universe is pretty much at 0 intrinsic curvature. Why? Dunno, LOL!

4. WalterAlter

Big Bang, Black Hole, Dark Matter and the entire money wheel circus is the product of academic delerium.

Black holes have no basis in General Relativity or in Newton's theory.

All alleged black hole solutions to Einstein's field equations

actually contain no mass. A mass is simply inserted post hoc into the

alleged solutions by sticking in Newton's expression for escape

velocity. But this is entirely arbitrary and is done to satisfy

Einstein's false claim that Ric = 0 describes his gravitational field

"outside" a body such as a star. Newton's expression for escape

velocity is an implicit two-body relation, but all alleged black hole

'solutions' contain only one mass, the mass "outside" of which the

gravitational allegedly exists. Einstein removes all material sources

at the outset by setting his energy-momentum tensor to zero to get Ric

= 0. In the next breath he reinstates the presence of a material

source (a mass) by the deceitful words "outside a body such as a star,

because he must have a mass to be the source, to be the star. But all

the equations of Ric = 0 contain no material source terms. Not only

that, de Sitter's cosmological static solution is acknowledged by

Einstein and his followers to be entirely empty, hence de Sitter's

'empty universe'. But de Sitter's static solution is for Ric = lambda

g_{ij} where lambda is the so-called 'cosmological constant'. The

energy-momentum tensor is zero here too. Thus a zero energy-momentum

tensor both precludes and includes a material source (mass). This is

impossible. Ric = 0 contains no matter by mathematical construction.

de Sitter's empty universe contains no matter by mathematical

construction. Thus General Relativity does not even predict the black

hole at all. Newton's theory does not predict black holes either.

Einstein's "outside" a body such as a star is doubletalk - utter

nonsense.

-Stephen Crothers

Headmaster

"Black holes have no basis in General Relativity..."

Dear Plasma-Universe Colleague,

Your paper has received all the attention that it deserved. Unfortunately, I am currently unable to write up a complete analysis of your doubtlessly well-reasoned ideas since my cat had a little accident and I needed cellulose-based material in a hurry. Rest assured, however, that further submissions on your part will be looked at with the same intellectual curiosity as your latest missive managed to elicit.

Believe me always, yours faithfully,

etc. etc.

5. phil dude
    Pint

thinking...

Since the Earth turns on its axis, orbits the sun, which is orbiting the galactic centre, which is receding from all other galaxies.

The upshot of this is that the space "we are in" is never the same. Ever.

I wonder if from the point of the observer (us on Earth) is it possible that gigantic portions of the universe are not visible (receding too fast for us to see them), and yet still exact an influence on what we see?

It is a fundamental assumption that the universe "here" is the same "there", but perhaps the definition of "here" is far too local. Perhaps the universe is split in to non-visible (now) but somehow interacting chunks?

Hmmmm?

P.

Re: thinking...

I t is possible.

The problem is finding a model that yields useful predictions and is testable. Pluspoints if it has a very compact beautiful mathematical formulation, which for some reason seems to be the preferred way of it.

All the rest is metaphysics.

2. Fred 4

yes and no.

we can "see" a light/particle cone of ~13.7 billion lightyears. This is the "age" of the universe. This cone is all the material, from which there has been time since the inception of the universe, for light emitted from it to reach us.

We can reasonably assume that the universe is not cone shaped, and there is more universe then we can see, but due to the limit of the speed of light we can not "see" this material.

According to Relativity, as I understand, material that is outside of this light cone. (~13.7 billion year long cone which stretches from here -> Big Bang) can not affect us, nor can we affect it.

However... as a thought experiment(?)

We can imagine a particle Po (for Particle Outside) that is just outside of our light cone. There is material inside our light cone Pi (Particle Inside), where Po & Pi can interact.

Pi can/does interact with us as it is inside our light cone.

Po affects Pi.

Po affect us 'by proxy' through Pi.

I do not know how this is explained away, as I believe it is.

1. phil dude
        Pint

i vaguely remember the "photon wavelength being stretched to infinity". I think B.Cox may have said that once...

So if light is not visible because it has been stretched too far, perhaps whatever communicates gravity does not have the same effect? Volia, dark matter...;-)

It would be nice if someone here could explain if the "missing" mass for which the search for WIMPs is directed, is it uniform? Does every piece of sky show it?

The exciting thing here is, that there is clearly more cool physics for us to discover!!!

P.

2. Vladimir Plouzhnikov

"We can imagine a particle Po (for Particle Outside) that is just outside of our light cone. There is material inside our light cone Pi (Particle Inside), where Po & Pi can interact.

Pi can/does interact with us as it is inside our light cone.

Po affects Pi.

Po affect us 'by proxy' through Pi."

Assume O is the observer's coordinates, T is the time lapsed since the beginning of the universe, c is c.

|Po,Pi| + |Pi,O| >= |Po,O|

If |Po,O| / c > T (which it is by your definition of Po), the signal from Pi, after it had been affected by Po, will not have enough time to reach O by the time of the observation.

3. Tom 13

It is highly probable there are vast portions of the universe we don't see, although not because they are receding too fast for us to see them. That's sort of the whole point of Relativity: it doesn't matter how fast you are moving or what direction, the speed of light is constant for your medium.

While theoretically there could be a discontinuous transition point for gravity, without evidence for it is seems a highly risky speculation. The fundamental basis of science is that a process that happens anywhere in the universe can be replicated somewhere else. While I see the argument to avoid anthropomorphism, trying to use that to offset the more critical scientific criteria is philosophically problematic. Moreover, while it could be argued that such a transition was beyond the solar boundary, the problem is with the red shifts themselves. Is not just that everything is receding from us. It is that the further away from us the object is the faster it is moving away from us and that rate increases along a smooth curve, not a segmented function.

It is a fundamental unsolved problem of astronomy and cosmology, and has been since the red shift evidence was discovered. Given how badly it perplexed Einstein I doubt any of us Reg posters will find the answer.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Dark Matter doesn't exist ..

> The most sensitive dark matter detector ever built has failed to detect any dark matter.

Dark Matter doesn't exist, the reason it is proposed is to explain the shape of galaxies and their dispersal through out the universe. A much simpler explanation is that gravity decays faster over large distances. As in time flows slower that farther away from a strong gravitational source.

Facepalm

Re: Dark Matter doesn't exist ..

<I<Dark Matter doesn't exist</i>

A peremptory statement followed by utter FAIL because replacing "dark matter" would demand that gravity "decay" SLOWER over large distances.

As in time flows slower that farther away from a strong gravitational source.

Again, arse backwards. Also, it is "proper time" and it does not "flow" in any particular way.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Dark Matter doesn't exist ..

> Also, it is "proper time" and it does not "flow" in any particular way.

Excuse my typo ..

As in time flows faster that farther away from a strong gravitational source .. eg. t is a variable ...

-------

Anyway .. nevermind .. lets listen to a good toon ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlNantlznCA

7. NathanOB

How do I get a career doing nothing on a government paycheck? Probably just memorize some big words to sound smart and call it basic research, because no business would waste its time with me. :)

Seriously, this stuff is as ignorant as a flat world theory, when you can see a curve on the horizon. Back a 1000 years ago somebody probably used a little bit of sense to know that the world wasn't flat, and there was more to the story. Same today with bosom particles, dark matter, string theory, ect... Aren't these technically hypothesis not theories?

Holmes

I dunno, are you not technically a nincompoop?

> bosom particles

Right.

1. Florida1920
        Paris Hilton

> bosom particles

Dunno about the universe, but I'll bet his S.O. is flat.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Perhaps you should had also memorized who was Erastothenes and when he lived.

8. achilles9000

I've always suspected dark matter is residual gravity from a parallel universe...

too much?

9. NickFun

Hooray! We have found nothing! Let's see if we can spend a couple million more and still find nothing! Then we will keep spending money until we find...NOTHING!!!

You jelly?

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Xenon

All these posts and nobody spotting that the sole object of this experiment was obviously to achieve the utter scientific coolness of having so much cold Xenon in one place.

At parties: "Yes, I've got a third of a tonne of liquid xenon. At -100C. How cool is that? Very cool indeed."

1. Wintermute
      Boffin

Re: Xenon

Xenon melts at -111.8°C and boils at -108°C. For the next experiment, the test apparatus needs to regulate the temperature of 300kg of the element for 300 days within a band of 3.8°C. That's impressive. Who – like me – wants photos of the apparatus itself?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Xenon

The liquid xenon is in contact with gaseous xenon under pressure. The lab (Gran Sasso) say on their website it is -100C at 2 bar, which of course gives them a much bigger window between the liquid state and freezing. Your comment would only be valid if the apparatus was at STP.

11. arctic_haze
    Holmes

A simple explanation of the result

The reason we cannot discover dark matter is that its particles are like Schrodinger's cats.

They have not yet decided if they exist or not.

12. ecofeco Silver badge
    Facepalm

Damn you El Reg!!

Now I can't get...... that voice out of my head.

(I actually love that show)

13. Stoneshop
    Coat

Carry a flashlight

and a couple of spare batteries.

Then dark doesn't matter.

14. Stu 18

Obviously the council has been blinded because the darth baddie dude is to well politically connected. Happens all the time.

I'm off to live in a swamp until an angstie teenager suffering from parental neglect comes to find me.

But can you do the Kessel Run in less than 15 parsecs?

15. magindville

How to find "nothing".

...stop looking for it. Its impossible to find "nothing" using instruments, definitions, words, feelings, emotions, etch-a-sketches, or speak n spells since using "something" to find "nothing" inevitably invalidates the meaning of "nothing".

Re: How to find "nothing".

That's quite something.

16. Marino

where did the one originate from?

The reason for not being able to find anything is because the science is based on "theories" and not "actuals".

Science first has to explain where the "one" comes from.

Yet science, theology (religion) or philosophy cannot truly explain where "one" came from.

Saying it always existed is not a definitive answer, and to say all came from "nothing" is also incorrect.

Because if "nothing" was truly "nothing", why call it NOTHING and even then it's given seven letters.

For it takes more than "one" to even make up "one" of anything, as even a single atom has more than one component.

As how can one of anything exist without it's "negative counterpart of space" that the "one" occupies within?

A.E.I.O.U - Absolute Energy = Input, Output Utilization.

As "one" of anything equals the I.O.U of AE, as does the next "one"

It has been said that to know the secrets of the universe think - Energy, frequency, reverberation.

And if there is/was "one" to begin with, it could only divide itself, thus multiplying itself.

And the answer will still only be "one" because no matter how many times "one" multiplies or divides by "one" the answer is always one, which makes "one" and infinite number or better still "the whole".

1. cyborg
      FAIL

No

Just no.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: where did the one originate from?

Reverberation?

I think you're writing about rock music, not physics. That, or you've been at some of the substances famously used by rock musicians to enhance their performances. Hint - the number of letters in a word has nothing to do with its meaning unless you're a numerologist, and they are even more crazy than reflexologists.

17. Francis Boyle Silver badge

Paging Dunning and Kruger

"There's enough material here for a whole conference."

18. The Dude

No dark matter to find, obviously.

There is no dark matter, and no dark energy either. Newton got it wrong, gravity is not a property of mass.

Gravity is the motion (velocity) of empty space. It affects mass, obviously, but it is not a property of mass. In our gravity well, it might be difficult to establish this, but probably not impossible.

No, I am not a physicist.

19. Shonko Kid
    Facepalm

Could it be..

that the thing about Dark Matter - it's main distinguishing feature - is it's black. And the thing about space, your basic space colour, is black. So how are you supposed to see it?

20. David Pollard

Plasma, MHD and 'let there be light' big bang

The antipathy towards plasma cosmology continues to puzzle me. Magnetohydrodynamics is widely accepted in explanations of, inter alia, the outward transfer of momentum when stellar systems form; similar outward transfer of momentum when galaxies form; the acceleration of huge plasma jets, some of which are of galactic scale; and a range of observable solar phenomena. Equally, observations of the rotation of polarised light show that non-negligible magnetic fields exists within most galaxies.

Yet any mention that electromagnetism may play a part in holding galaxies together is met with scorn, disdain and opprobrium.

I sometimes wonder that the electric universe idea, the notion that stars are a sort of light bulb powered by cosmic currents, is actually a straw man set up against plasma cosmology, spawned and promoted by the dogmatically religious supporters of orthodoxy in a similar manner to the way that creationists are said to conjure up bogus research in order to discredit regular scientific discovery.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.