back to article New iPhones: C certainly DOESN'T stand for 'Cheap'

You wanted new iPhones and you got them. But if anything, the most surprising thing about Apple's big Tuesday reveal was just how little it managed to keep secret from the tech media ahead of the event. As predicted, Cupertino unveiled not one but two new iPhone models – a first – and just like everyone thought, they are named …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: C looks more durable

I haven't read anyone here dissing the plastic. As far as I'm concerned it's the best thing Apple's done here. I hate their all glass all metal monstrosities. Wife has one, when I need to fiddle with it I'm terrified of dropping or scratching the thing and I find it uncomfortable to hold with it's sharp edges.

Of course these problems go away with a plastic bumper but then what's the point?

The bare shiny is only really useful for cliche web designers whose idea of a website front page is someone smirking at the camera with an iMac in the background and an iPhone in their hand.

For instance: http://webdesignledger.com/inspiration/18-examples-of-beautiful-image-usage-in-web-design

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Asian markets...

Just got back from a month+ in the Philippines and Hong Kong.

1: Even in the tiniest mobile markets on the littlest Philippine islands are displayed plenty of US$400 and US$500 smartphones. Even more surprising, regular people own them too. People that may live in what we would call a shed, they have the latest $500 smartphone. Middle Class is spreading fast.

2: Contracts? It seems to be 99.99% PAYG. The monthly plans on offer are so cheap ($10 data plans) that the margin isn't going to significantly subsidize a $500 phone over two years (obviously, do the math).

3: Huge phones seem popular. Tiny phones are not Flash & Splash enough. iPhones are too small to be the most desired. iPhablet and make it snappy!

4: 3% of a billion is a big number.

2. Paddy
    Pint

ARM 64 bit

Hats off to ARM for designing a 64 bit core that works in a phone. It's just that Ubuntu has the best plan to make use of it with their idea of a phone that when docked runs full Ubuntu Linux; hell, if Ubuntu was running on something like a Nexus 10 with a 64 bit ARM and 8 gigs or more of RAM ...

... I'd play Angry Birds on it!

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Biggest change

in OS6 they downgraded the maps to use shitty Apple maps. In the latest, they downgraded search to use shitty Bing.

How does it feel when your handset owners decide what search engine you must use?

1. Steve Todd
      Stop

Re: Biggest change

Did you miss the word "default"?

2. GitMeMyShootinIrons

And everything on an Android handset defaults to the Info-snatchers, and everything on a Windows Mobile defaults to the evil Empire. Apple don't have a search engine of their own, so they'll default to whoever upsets them least (hence today, it's Bing).

Note the heavy handed use of the word DEFAULT? You can change it....

Oh, and in other news, the Pope defaults to Catholic.

1. PaulR79

Shame you can't change the default on Windows Phone...

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Home buttons works?

Most people i know with an iPhone have that annoying home button app that gives you a home button on screen all the time. Most say its because after about 10 minutes in a sufficiently humid country (so anywhere in SE asia)... the home button broke.

I wonder if this will be any different.

As ever, if i do buy one, i wont rush ... lets wait and see if they have another "holding it wrong" problem.

5. Paul 75

Summing up the whole announcement in 4 words...

Much ado about nothing :)

6. Stu J

Same old delusional overpriced shite

As for the price, I got an HTC One free of charge on a 2 year £32/month contract. And you're telling me I'd have to pay a wedge up front, as well as an extortionate contract for that gaudy plastic piece of 5C shite?

They really are a cult, aren't they?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Same old delusional overpriced shite

No, you do not HAVE to do any such thing.

Do n't like the contract? Look at one of the many other suppliers. You know that within weeks there will be a range of contracts available.

As for your choice:

1. Is the device so hard to shift that they have to give it away?

2. Judging by the vast numbers of people screaming for it, clearly it is a winner.

1. PsychicMonkey
        FAIL

Re: Same old delusional overpriced shite

"1. Is the device so hard to shift that they have to give it away?"

no, but it costs less so the network can subsidise it for people who don't want to be shafted on the phone & the contract. Cheap doesn't have to mean bad.

If your choices are dictated by what other people want and do I suspect you are Apples core demographic.

Some people make choices for themselves, and actually don't care if they have the latest shiny you know.

Still, there will be queues for days for this, just as there always is.

7. Silverburn

FFS

Ok, I'll admit to be being a fan of some (not all) Apple products, but I'm becoming less and less so, given the frankly drug-addled design decisions it's been making recently.

Gold and Silver options? 64bit processing? Fisher price UI? *this* is what Apple identified that it's customers want??? What f*ing market research were they doing??? Christ, take one look at your competitors Apple, and you can see what the market wants...

For the first time in ages, I will not be upgrading my iphone. Time to look for something a bit classier, with a bigger screen, more useful gadgets and more storage.

8. Geoff Campbell Silver badge
    Facepalm

"beautifully, unapologetically plastic."

Samsung will be pleased. And I really, really look forward to the next Fanboi who tells me my Galaxy S4 is crap because it's plastic...

GJC

9. PaulR79

Great article! How much were you paid exactly for this pro-Apple love letter?

"but it is a significant upgrade"

"Interestingly, even given all of these features, Cupertino's stated battery life for the iPhone 5S is identical to that of the iPhone 5C."

What are you talking about, did you see something different to the rest of us? A new CPU, motion sensor, supposedly better camera and a fingerprint scanner. How does that count as significant? A new CPU should be more battery efficient (ignoring the Tegra line there), a motion sensor won't be active unless apps are using it so shouldn't cause drain by itself and a fingerprint scanner.... BEHOLD! THE GREAT INNOVATORS, APPLE!

I'm no Apple fan (I know, I hide it well) but surely it's clear to most now that they have massively lost their way. A slight upgrade and a plastic rehash of last years model aren't going to set the market alight.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Storage

I was thinking that surely apple must realise the most important feature they are lacking is one that every phone I have owned in the last 10 years has had (with the exception of my iPhone)... A memory card slot. In the beginning it didn't matter - the camera on the 3G was shit. But the 4s and 5 have better cameras and the apps are getting bigger and bigger. I don't want some gimmicky fingerprint reader that probably doesn't work, I just want a fuckin' memory card slot so I don't have to clear my phone out on a weekly basis.

Apple = Dicks.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Storage

A slot would let you buy the cheaper, lower-capacity models then expand them via dirt-cheap memory cards. This doesn't benefit Apple, who would rather you paid them the extra markup for a higher-capacity version.

Not making them expandable also forces people who aren't sure if they might want the extra capacity to pay the extra upfront anyway if they're in doubt. It also has the benefit of forcing obsolescence, as the ever falling price and increasing capacity of flash storage over time makes your phone's storage look puny.

11. JDX Gold badge

Question to developers

I've been tinkering with iOS development using iOS 6 SDK, XCode 4.x, OSX 10.8 on a fairly old unibody MacBook.

How will developing/releasing apps be affected by iOS7 - will I have to upgrade XCode (which requires the new OS) to be allowed to release apps now or can I still build against the iOS 6 SDK as before? I'm not sure my Mac will even support Mavericks...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Question to developers

Yes - once IOS7 is released you'll need the new xcode to release apps (and test with the IOS7 simulator, which is a really good idea unless you just want to cross your fingers and hope everything works!).

Your Mac will probably support mavericks unless it's really old - OSX support goes back quite a long way.. we've only ever had to junk one mac (an old one that didn't support Mountain Lion, so became useless for development) so far.

12. madmalc

Is it just me...

or does the back of the 5S look like a HTC One copy

13. Alexis Vallance

We get this every 2 years. Odd years are the .5 releases, which are never that exciting. If you're on a 2 year contract between even years you get to take advantage of the main releases.

Looking forward to the iPhone 6 next September.

1. PsychicMonkey

ah yes

'cause last years "main" release was so very exciting....

It's Apple doing the advantage taking....

1. JDX Gold badge

Re: ah yes

As opposed to other flagship phones, which have added dozens of ground-breaking features? No, I thought not.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Cheaper of the 2 - you mugs

See? Not necessarily "cheaper" but cheaper of the 2 models.

So 5C is still last years price and 5S is the newer "revolutionary" expensive model.

See how Apple spins it?

Ready to be mugged, Fanbois?

15. Slacker@work
    Facepalm

*yawns*

What??? a new pair of stupidly expensive Apple phones that fanbois will think great? Sorry, I thought there had been a news story breaking....

*rolls over*

*goes back to sleep*

16. Nya
    Childcatcher

Tin foil hat moment

"Another new component is the M7, which Schiller described as a "motion coprocessor." That's as in physical motion, rather than onscreen motion; the chip works with the accelerometer, gyroscope, compass, and other sensors to track how you move throughout the day, and to provide support for fitness apps."

Let me correct that for you Mr Schiller, "a motion coprocessor, a chip which works with the accelerometer, gyroscope, compass, and other sensors to track how YOU move throughout the day, and to provide support to the NSA and others we are supplying the data to."

17. Jay 2
    Meh

Local storage please!

Looks like I'll be hanging on to my 4S for a bit longer then. Potentially I could have gone for a 5S if it came in a 128GB flavour, though that would have cost a fortune SIM-free. I mean Apple are never going to put in an SD (or similar) slot, so it's going to have to be internal. They probably expect us all to plonk everything in the (i)Cloud and use all the 4G to drag it down...

All that aside I'm a bit meh about the 5S.

18. Craigie

I found the innovation!

"plus a flash with two LEDs – one cold, one warm – that can choose from 1,000 possible color temperatures to best match the environment" - that's the only bit that's an actual innovation that I can see.

So it's still too small, too expensive, and iOS is still too much like all the previous versions.

Pass.

19. MJA

Downside to fingerprint.

Fingerprint security? All it means is when somebody mugs you for your phone they will also cut your finger off :(.

People will have to buy fingerless gloves too :).

1. PJI

Re: Downside to fingerprint.

There, another saving: fingerless gloves must cost less.

1. Silverburn
        Gimp

Re: Downside to fingerprint.

Apple's fingerless gloves will cost more...

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Using an iphone now has become like.....

riding a bike with stabilisers on.

When you grow up you can use a real phone.....

20. Ebaneezer Wanktrollop
    FAIL

Complete bollocks

"If you know any web admins ask them what the percentage of mobile web browsers that access their sites are you will be surprised Android sales are not reflected in web traffic, why because android marketing men are spinning the figures."

The first thing most Android users do is change the User Agent string on their browser to IE7 / Safari so to stop automatically getting shitty mobile sites on their screen which is usually big enough to accommodate a normal 'desktop' website.

On Apple ishite of course you cannot change the user agent hence their disproportionate lead in web server stats.

1. PJI

Re: Complete bollocks

"The first thing most Android users do is change the User Agent string on their browser to IE7 / Safari ...."

I assume that you are taking the piss. Most users of any browser on any platform, including software engineers, never even think about the UA string and would not know how to change it unless working in that field or have looked it up, assuming they are even aware of it.

I hear that Android based mobiles are the vast majority of smart phones in circulation, with nearly a thousand million activated. So, you are suggesting that there are five hundred million Android users who have changed their browser UA strings. Well .... I should imagine five hundred more like.

Tell you what, ask your mother, father, siblings, random shop assistants, office staff, players in the pub darts team or football team: let us know how many know about this, or even what browser or operating system they are using.

1. PsychicMonkey
        Stop

Re: Complete bollocks

I beleive it's a little tick box, says "Request desktop site", under the hood it changes the user agent.

So yes, many people probably do do it.

21. dmcq
    Happy

Compare to the Nestle KitKat ad

I just had a look at the iPhone 5C video ad on the Apple uk site

http://www.apple.com/uk/iphone-5c/videos/#video-product

The phone looks good but the video just reminded me too much of the video on

http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/nestle-mocks-apple-in-kitkat-4-4-ad/

22. Maharg

My girlfriend saw the new iPhone C and said “Oh look, they made a Nokia Lumia…”

23. Duffaboy

XBox all over again.

As I went on record that Microsoft uturned in days on their policy of pre-owned games, Apple will u-turn within weeks on the pricing of the C version of this phone as its way overpriced.

24. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So, still no WOW moment from Apple!

It's just another stale itteration of 2007 tech. It'll take the plebs another generation before they realise it.

Utter crap!

25. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

A seven hundred quid gold telephone will be popular with the drug dealers in their wrapped Range Rovers. Stands out well for the muggers and pick pockets too.

26. Bigbird3141
    Stop

Why bother

Nexus 4 is now £159/£199. That is all.

1. Tim Almond

Re: Why bother

Someone is selling Lumia 520s on Amazon for £110.

The fact is that much like PCs, phones have basically hit a plateau. I don't need more speed - the bottleneck on my Nexus phone is with the network, not the phone. And it's not like I'm rendering frames for Peter Jackson. I use apps for telling me the next train home, playing some noddy games.

27. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Just heard this on Swiss radio

Over half of mobile phone users do not secure their mobiles as they find it too inconvenient to set and enter a PIN.

So, the report surmised, Apple is not trying to increase the security level per se; it is just making it easier for the user to apply and use any security.

That seems, to me, to be an excellent motivation.

28. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Everyone has missed the point

This is Apple.. that have been identified as OPENLY allowing the NSA to peruse their systems as they please.

And now their newly released iPhone has a new "feature"... a fingerprint sensor. So it's never sent to apple... really... how to hell do we know?!

I, for one, will not be putting my finger anywhere near one. I'll stick to my pin-unlock on my HTC One ta!

1. davemcwish

Re: Everyone has missed the point

"And now their newly released iPhone has a new "feature"... a fingerprint sensor. So it's never sent to apple... really... how to hell do we know?!"

Keyword here is 'sent'. How do we know that they can't activate a pull mechamism ?

29. Piro Silver badge

Does anyone else think the iPhone isn't that pretty any more?

The design is a little tired. The big top and bottom bezels, the visual language that never changes...

Apple can surely do better than this..

1. OrsonX

Re: Does anyone else think the iPhone isn't that pretty any more?

exactly!

why not make the whole front face of the phone a screen?

keep it the same size, even keep the physical home button.

30. Julian Taylor

Nokia Colour Scheme?

Very sceptical about the colours. Same nasty lurid green and yellows as the ElopSoft phones. £469+ for a "looks just like an iPhone 5, until you realise it is made of plastic" handset.

Steve Jobs would not have let this through even the initial planning stage. Mind you, Steve Jobs would NEVER have allowed a marketing 'crat to do an Apple product launch -he had very fixed ideas of where marketing people belonged.

31. Loyal Commenter Silver badge

So,

$100 for an extra 16Gb of flash storage, worth $10. What a bargain. The Scientologists have nothing on Apple when it comes to separating the proverbial fool from his money.

32. Captain Scarlet
    Trollface

Console like graphics

My lord so its as powerful as my Mega Drive!

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like