back to article Mint 15 freshens Ubuntu's bad bits

Mint is a relative newcomer to the world of popular desktop distros, but it has recently started to take the GNOME and Unity-hating Linux world by storm. The recent release of version 15, called Olivia, should help it secure a reputation as “the” alternative desktop. If you'd like a modern set of desktop tools without a …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. shawnfromnh

Still needs some work

I downloaded it and then did a reboot and went into demo mode. Have a 10 year old Compaq Presario with a via chipset and an AMD XP processor.

I was excited since I had not used linux in years the last time Ubuntu.

I didn't get past the desktop. Mouse pointer moved "usb wireless mouse" but no clicks registered, Keyboard had lights "PS2" but keys did nothing at all, and lastly error message no internet from USB network adapter.

I think stable should be renamed stable but semi functional since when going back to Google for some research there are a lot of people that are having basic functional troubles with the mouse, keyboard, and internet functions.

On the good side the install was absolutely handfree and fast and since the first Linux I used was Mandrake and that install was slow and confusing "I was such a newb then" and it never made it to the desktop at all I will give the install an A but the drivers do need input from the user as in clicking to see if the mouse is active and same for keyboard because without either you cannot even fix or add drivers or change settings to let existing drivers work.

I was really hoping this was going to work since I really don't want to be stuck using Windows 8 5 years from now and need to become more familiar with Linux now while I still have a windows OS to fall back on when I have a bad install so I can go online to get drivers.

I think more focus on input devices during beta testing so there is a 90% chance all will do basic function would be a decent goal, at least the mouse especially since with that a virtual keyboard can be used to download the proper drivers or at least make it so when I have the drivers I have the ability to add them from a cd/dvd/usb.

2. Camilla Smythe
    FAIL

Trust Me.. Linux := Wank

I do not separate the Kernel from the OS.

Every Distro I have had to endure goes...

"Ooh I pooed my diapers. Please go to a forum to discover which flavour of shit has been flung in your general direction."

Nice one from Mint today is the 'upgrade' to Firefox 22. Does not connect to HTTP sites. HTTPS works but otherwise it is fucked.

I'm on my 14th attempt at installing Debian. Apparently this is the rock solid stable shit... no questions asked,

"Ooh I pooed my diapers. Please go to a forum to fail to discover which flavour of shit has been flung in your general direction."

Trust Me.. Linux := Wank

How do I know...?

I have posted this message, FF 11, ergo it does work. Otherwise it is a basic crapshoot and six of the chambers in the pistol you are using are loaded with fail bullets.

Torvald needs taking outside and shooting.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Trust Me.. Linux := Wank

This is being written with FF22 on Mint15. As you can see, it works here.

I have no idea why you have a problem, but to be honest with your attitude, I don't care.

Now, back to my job at Microsoft Support, where I get to do that all day...

2. Wardy01
      Thumb Up

I'm glad i'm not the only one out there with this type of problem.

Everyone seems to praise linux as being "the backbone of the world" but in reality ... you need to be a friggin linux dev in order to install the dam thing without problems.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@Wardy01

"I'm glad i'm not the only one out there with this type of problem.

Everyone seems to praise linux as being "the backbone of the world" but in reality ... you need to be a friggin linux dev in order to install the dam thing without problems."

Or competent. That works too.

Yes linux has some driver issues when the manufacturers build drivers for windows but not for linux (or they release poor drivers for linux). But as I have various hardware that wont work with windows too I see it as the fault of the driver writers and not blame the OS.

I have had a few problems on linux and I have had problems with windows. I still use windows (my gaming system) and linux mint (development) on a duel boot machine. I also exclusively run linux mint on a laptop that cannot handle windows (cheap hardware) and on my work machine because I prefer it.

And in no way am I a linux dev. My partner is not techie yet she can install and use mint on her laptop (for work). She definitely isnt a dev of any sort.

Linux is just another OS. They all have their use and their purpose. Just because you struggle to install and use it doesnt mean it is broken. I guess when you get your windows to just work (You said- "I want to see more windows like driver handling in Linux as "it just works".") I assume it comes pre-installed? And if you do it yourself I assume you have to carefully keep all your driver disks because windows wont detect them automatically (unless its really old hardware) nor will it tell you what it is?

I can understand if you have problems with it that you may not use it. But to claim its for linux devs says more about your ability to put in a disk and follow instructions than it does the OS.

3. Camilla Smythe
    FAIL

I am on my 15th attempt at installing Debian

"Ooh I pooed my diapers. Please go to a forum to fail to discover which flavour of shit has been flung in your general direction."

BTW that's 2 hours plus out of my LifeLine.

Fuck me sideways. Like UfuckU and Fuck, excuse me whilst I misspell Mint, are based on Debian. How does that one not work then?

I trust this will not work... as he goes into terminal mode

ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

GH.

Linux := Shite

I assure you that this much is true.

1. Not That Andrew

Re: I am on my 15th attempt at installing Debian

If you are having problems with installing Debian derived distro's, I suggest trying something else - OpenSuse, Fedora, PCLinuxOS, Arch or even Slackware. Linux is not shit, although the installers can be sometimes

1. Mayor Boris

You mean the people instlling it?

2. Camilla Smythe
        FAIL

Yup.., in part, been there, done that.

Suse: Pooed its Diapers.

Fedora: Pooed its Diapers.

My first exposure was Slackware.... ???? I am in avoid mode.

"Linux is not shit, although the installers can be sometimes."

I have reason to doubt the first part given the second part regularly fucks itself.

Perhaps Torvalds can shout at the bastards and get them to sort it out?

4. Camilla Smythe
    FAIL

It's crap. Nothing Works

So I dibble about in Mint to bring Debian Up...

No..... Seriously but fuck me folks you have to use other Linux based Shite to get Linux based Shite to talk to you.

Debian 7 Review

Fucking piece of Dysfunctional Shite.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: It's crap. Nothing Works

We're all sorry you're too incompetent to install any of the easy Linux distros, but given other people genuinely do use this stuff, perhaps the issue isn't that the distros are all completely broken?

Perhaps it is, y'know... errr ... you ...?

Anybody who says an o/s "poo-ed it's diapers" ... well ...

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like